JJT: Arrogant offseason approach has Cowboys at bottom of NFC

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Big picture: no team in the NFL loses virtually all of their games without their starting QB unless they have bigger problems elsewhere.

Its seems Troy Aikman and Jerry Jones have both come to this conclusion as well given their comments during/after the game.

Yes, I agree with you. However, in the end, Garrett will be retained because the team would not have made the playoffs under any circumstances without Romo.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yes, I agree with you. However, in the end, Garrett will be retained because the team would not have made the playoffs under any circumstances without Romo.

I never said Garrett would not be retained, I am 100% sure he will.

However, Aikman's point and Jerry's point (which I agree with) is that other teams in the NFL find ways to win games with their backup QB so you cant use that as an excuse to lose every game.

Yea, maybe we don't make the playoffs without Romo but you dam sure don't lose every single game unless there are serious problems elsewhere on the team.

Aven8

Reaction score
Yeah, Murray is so awesome he immediately went to Philly and got benched.

That contract would have been a colossal mistake and would have been compared to the Miles Austin type contracts.

The only mistake this off-season was not spending a 7th on Rawls and not addressing the backup QB position well enough. Period.

Wrong. The depth at WR is horrible and has contributed to this season. Once Dez went down we have been drawing straws, trading for a WR that can't stay healthy, have another draft pick that can't even play, and refused to play Lucky. This staff sucks!

Aven8

Reaction score
I never said Garrett would not be retained, I am 100% sure he will.

However, Aikman's point and Jerry's point (which I agree with) is that other teams in the NFL find ways to win games with their backup QB so you cant use that as an excuse to lose every game.

Yea, maybe we don't make the playoffs without Romo but you dam sure don't lose every single game unless there are serious problems elsewhere on the team.

I'm still not convinced this team would have made the playoffs with a healthy Romo all season. Who was he going to throw to once Dez went down?? 8 yard passes to Witt and Beas? An occasional big gainer to Williams? My bet is they would have been where they always were 8-8.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Don't recall us being last in the league on 3rd and 1 last year..............oh wait, that is because we weren't.

And please don't say it is because of our trash QBs, the freaking Cleveland Browns convert more 3rd and 1s than we do.

Josh McCown played well this year.

Do you follow football or do you just skim through it?

blindzebra

Reaction score
More clueless drivel...the running game is suffering because of the lack of Romo opening it up, anyone that thinks differently is a football fool. The passing game last year created Murray's season and anyone with any football IQ knows it.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
So all 31 other teams in the NFL have a better QB than we do and that is why we are last in the league on 3rd and 1

You have to be trolling for laughs at this point, surely not even you can think this is logical.

I don't know... Honestly I don't... How you got this from my post.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
It still amazes me how they untrusted an underwear thief to have that much responsibility, even in a rotation.

If I am playing on a team that did that, I would have a serious question about the direction of the team in general and my faith in the idea they are steering it in the right direction.

great post..........RKG right out the window.

Of course they can't hit on every athlete but the red flags were a flyin. '

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
What part of we run the ball just about as well as we did last year despite missing Tony for most of the season don't you understand?

If you think we run the ball as well as we did last year than I have some land I'd like to sell you on the moon. Cheap!

If we ran the ball as well as last year why are we last in the league in 3rd and 1 situations?

Even in 3rd in short we are in the bottom half of the league.

Last year we were one of the top 3.

Now if we ran the ball as good as we did last year why aren't we winning? Why with one of the best oline in football can't we convert in short yardage? Why cant we win?

You can debate all you want. Our run game this year has sucked. The RBBC and Randle has completely failed. If it was just as good as last year why isn't Randle on the team anymore? Surely, he should have stuck around and be over 1K yardage by now.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
IF they had signed murray a different course of events would have taken place, in which Romo does not get hurt in game 2.
Maybe at some other point or maybe not at all.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
If you think we run the ball as well as we did last year than I have some land I'd like to sell you on the moon. Cheap!

If we ran the ball as well as last year why are we last in the league in 3rd and 1 situations?

Now if we ran the ball as good as we did last year why aren't we winning? Why with one of the best oline in football can't we convert in short yardage? Why cant we win?

You can debate all you want. Our run game this year has sucked. The RBBC and Randle has completely failed. If it was just as good as last year why isn't Randle on the team anymore? Surely, he should have stuck around and be over 1K yardage by now.

well said...
sometimes I wonder, do folks what to be right, or be real.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Arrogant offseason approach has Cowboys at bottom of NFC
39m
i

Jean-Jacques Taylor, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys find themselves in last place in the NFC East and tied for the worst record in the NFC because they took an arrogant approach to the offseason.
It was easy to do because they finished 12-4 and won the division behind the game’s best offensive line in 2014. DeMarco Murray produced a franchise-record 1,845 rushing yards and Tony Romo had never played better when it mattered most.

And that’s why they believed their own hype.

The Cowboys pride themselves on making decisions collectively, so you can blame the quartet of owner/general manager Jerry Jones, vice president Stephen Jones, head coach Jason Garrett and scouting director Will McClay in any order you choose.

Brandon Weeden the Cowboys’ backup quarterback, because it’s obvious Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan had zero confidence in Weeden.

They gave him a Pop Warner game plan, then wondered why he didn’t produce before demoting him as starter after three winless starts. Matt Cassel, Weeden’s replacement, was acquired the week Romo broke his collarbone and the Cowboys knew they would need a starter for nearly two months.

Cassel has a 1-5 record as a starter, with five touchdowns, six interceptions and a 73.5 passer rating overall this season. He has flunked a quarterback’s most important job, which is getting the team into the end zone.

The Cowboys have scored one touchdown or less in four of his six starts. Pathetic.
A lot of the Cowboys’ offensive issues besides the obvious absence of Romo can be traced to the team's negotiating tactics with Murray. Clearly, the Cowboys were afraid of his age and his workload, which included more than 400 touches in 2014, so there was no way they were going to give him the five-year, $40 million deal he received from Philadelphia.

Matching Philadelphia’s deal wasn’t the problem. The Cowboys never really gave Murray a legitimate offer until free agency began. Everybody knows that if you allow a player to reach unrestricted free agency, the odds of him returning are virtually nil.

The Cowboys figured their offensive line was so good that even Joseph Randle, released after Week 6, and a running back by committee could get the job done.

They haven’t.

The running game may rank in the top half of the NFL, but it has been unreliable all season. The Cowboys have struggled in short-yardage situations and haven't controlled games with their running game the way they did last season.

The inconsistent running game has affected their ability to be productive with play-action passes and their deep passing game. See, it all works together.

Ignore the stats, which say the Cowboys have rushed for a 4.4 average on 346 carries and Darren McFadden has 798 yards and a 4.2 yards-per-carry average. If you’ve watched the games, you know the truth: They miss Murray -- or somebody like him.

The Cowboys eschewed selecting a runner in the best running back draft in years last spring, but it’s clear they need a starter. McFadden has been solid, but this team needs more than that because it wants a dominant running game.

In the process, the Cowboys have found out this line isn’t so good that anyone can gain 1,300 yards running behind it. You could not convince them of that last spring.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...fseason-approach-has-cowboys-at-bottom-of-nfc

BINGO - we have a winner!!

aria

Reaction score
So did we or did we not win the offseason SB???? I gotta know.

We're undefeated. We're always next years champs. At least that's what JJ, the media and some of the fans lead us to believe.

dfense

Reaction score
You think Romo had nothing to do with that? Take Romo out of the equation and this is what you get.

How's taking Luck out of Indy's offense working out? You go to your third string QB, what do you expect?

If Cassel could run the offense like Romo, what the heck are you paying Romo for then? Get any fool off the street.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

How many yards do you think Murray has right now if he's on this Cowboys team says Romo all year?

The question is whether we should have paid Murray what the Eagles did.

The answer should be obvious.