Twitter: Jonathan Cooper signs with San Francisco

Jumbo075

Reaction score
So is Green a product of them not evaluating offensive linemen?

What about Jeremy Parnell, Ron Leary and La'El Collins? Collins was a projected 1st rounder. Fair enough. But Leary and Parnell were not. Cooper was deemed trash and they got solid play out of him too.

I don't think they've drafted enough outside of the 1st round to see how they develop linemen.
And even then....we see guys like Erick Flowers be top 10 picks and stink.
Tyron Smith was far from a sure thing when we drafted him. As was Fredericks.

I remember scouts being high on Martin and believing he can come right in and play.

Larry Allen (1994), Flozell Adams (1998), and Andre Gurode (2002) were all pretty good 2nd round picks that each went to at least 5 Pro Bowls. Doug Free was a very decent 4th round pick that gave the Cowboys 10 good seasons. Leary and Collins were both undrafted out of college.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
He was a highly rated player that fell due to a knee problem.

Don't quote me but as I remember it he was considered a third round pick then the degenerative knee dropped him to UDFA. Tell you waht, he would have been a steal in the third round! He was a million dollar train robbery as an UDFA

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Larry Allen (1994), Flozell Adams (1998), and Andre Gurode (2002) were all pretty good 2nd round picks that each went to at least 5 Pro Bowls. Doug Free was a very decent 4th round pick that gave the Cowboys 10 good seasons. Leary and Collins were both undrafted out of college.

I'm fine with what they've done at line. They have misses. This current regime....they probably have one miss in Green. Go get us some linemen in later rounds is all I ask. They've shown they can develop them.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OMG another off-lineman with our 1st rounder...dang this team is destined to fail year in year out!

When's baseball season start?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We have, but they do need to find some guys that can play outside the first round and outside of paying huge money.

As good as the line is, the investments in it have reached critical mass.

So it is drafting a G or LT high that's bugging you!! Ok ok. Just clarify, what position should we draft high for? You mentioned you wouldn't draft a LB'er high either. Not dissing your opinion at all

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I'm fine with what they've done at line. They have misses. This current regime....they probably have one miss in Green. Go get us some linemen in later rounds is all I ask. They've shown they can develop them.

You're a draft defense guy right. DT, LB'er anything but O-line? Nothing wrong with that. We're all frustrated with Marinelli's lack of use of a big, strong DT 1. Can't change it until Mari is gone

J817

Reaction score
This all sounds solid thinking..... But did you read the thread about protecting our QB? Our starting OL vs our backups?

If, Dak needs a wall...... Then I suggest another 1st round brick

Why first? Leary was undrafted if I remember correctly. The greatest OG to ever play this game was drafted in 2nd round (Larry Allen). This team has to many problems to create a wall of first round picks on the line. It’s kinda stupid when the top OLs ranked ahead of you only have two first round picks on them at most.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I think I'll "relax" a bit when they do something other than watching guys leave.

But I want to get better, not just keep status quo.

So do I man. So do I. We all do. I can't say with 100% certainty that Hernandez would step right in and be better than Cooper. I can say with 100% certainty that Collins is a better LG than Cooper. We ****ed it up last year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So it is drafting a G or LT high that's bugging you!! Ok ok. Just clarify, what position should we draft high for? You mentioned you wouldn't draft a LB'er high either. Not dissing your opinion at all

It's not even that I'm totally against drafting an offensive lineman in the first round. It's just that I don't want to be forced to do it and reach for a player who may not be worth it at #19.

More than anything, it's wanting to have the option to take the best available player and not force anything for need.

I said earlier today, before Cooper left, I'd look into signing both Fleming and Waddle. Move Collins to guard and fix not only my right tackle, but swing as well.

And voila! I'm not forced to draft one on the first round.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So do I man. So do I. We all do. I can't say with 100% certainty that Hernandez would step right in and be better than Cooper. I can say with 100% certainty that Collins is a better LG than Cooper. We ****ed it up last year

I'd give you two likes for this one if I could!
:bow:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're a draft defense guy right. DT, LB'er anything but O-line? Nothing wrong with that. We're all frustrated with Marinelli's lack of use of a big, strong DT 1. Can't change it until Mari is gone

Honestly......i'm kind of confused on what to take. Linebacker is my #1 guy. But if a linebacker isn't there.....then what?

Should we waste that pick on a DT? Because we do have Collins as the 1tech here and Irving as the 3t. Will Maranelli be okay with Vea? History says he won't be.

The more I think about this draft....I may trade up for a playmaker. At linebacker or safety.

sbark

Reaction score
along the line of the dominant 1-tech , sometimes I think we are so dang dependent on S.Lee at the Will............I wonder if we couldnt reduce that dependency by going to more of a standard DLine play scheme that keeps Oline off the LB'rs more, to which alot more LB'r prospects would be a plug and play --those without the instincts of S.Lee should become more productive I'd hope.

.....or at least change it up play to play more, especially on clear run downs---which I think they do already, but even reduce the predicatibilty even more on DLine scheme.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Why first? Leary was undrafted if I remember correctly. The greatest OG to ever play this game was drafted in 2nd round (Larry Allen). This team has to many problems to create a wall of first round picks on the line. It’s kinda stupid when the top OLs ranked ahead of you only have two first round picks on them at most.

You're forgetting all the washouts that came through here between 2010 and 2012. I'd prefer to forget them too BUT they were pre-McLay and his group has done a better job of drafting for the O-line. D-line too. Not McClay's fault that Marinelli doesn't covet the nose tackle/DT1 spot highly

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly......i'm kind of confused on what to take. Linebacker is my #1 guy. But if a linebacker isn't there.....then what?

Should we waste that pick on a DT? Because we do have Collins as the 1tech here and Irving as the 3t. Will Maranelli be okay with Vea? History says he won't be.

The more I think about this draft....I may trade up for a playmaker. At linebacker or safety.

Pardon my French, but **** Rod Marinelli if he's stopping this team from drafting a dominant nose tackle like Vea. His abilities are transcendent of any typical nose tackle limitations.

If I had to choose, I'll draft Vea and fire Methuselah.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
along the line of the dominant 1-tech , sometimes I think we are so dang dependent on S.Lee at the Will............I wonder if we couldnt reduce that dependency by going to more of a standard DLine play scheme that keeps Oline off the LB'rs more, to which alot more LB'r prospects would be a plug and play --those without the instincts of S.Lee should become more productive I'd hope.

.....or at least change it up play to play more, especially on clear run downs---which I think they do already, but even reduce the predicatibilty even more on DLine scheme.

Won't know until Mari retires after 2018

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

I think you just hit them all, LB'er, S, DT and G. Just draft a difference maker at any one of those positions in the top 3 rounds. Man, I'm looking forward to this draft. It's gonna be damned interesting. All this talk about WR's, G's, LB'ers, deep DT draft. I'm cranked already and we have over a month. Screw FA lol

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pardon my French, but **** Rod Marinelli if he's stopping this team from drafting a dominant nose tackle like Vea. His abilities are transcendent of any typical nose tackle limitations.

If I had to choose, I'll draft Vea and fire Methuselah.

I've wanted Maranelli off this team for years now. I'd chose Vea over Maranelli too. Because Maranelli is either going to retire after this season or the season after. He won't be here longer.

My stance of Maraneli has been he's been getting away with having bad or young personnel....he always has a excuse. And he does good enough to warrant being brought back. If he had a stacked defense he wouldnt' do anything with it.

I hate his outdated defense. I hate his how conservative he is. I hate it all.

His unit always overachieve. He can teach kids. That's great. I need more. The fact that he doesn't want a true nose tackle tells me his scheme is outdated and needs to go.