Twitter: Jonathan Cooper signs with San Francisco

J817

Reaction score
You're forgetting all the washouts that came through here between 2010 and 2012. I'd prefer to forget them too BUT they were pre-McLay and his group has done a better job of drafting for the O-line. D-line too. Not McClay's fault that Marinelli doesn't covet the nose tackle/DT1 spot highly

McClay has been given a pay raise correct? Well let’s make him earn that many. Drafting first round offensive lineman and having a good line isn’t that impressive imo. Let’s sprinkle some 2nd or 3rd rounders in there. Let’s see how McCray has improved that scouting department.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think you just hit them all, LB'er, S, DT and G. Just draft a difference maker at any one of those positions in the top 3 rounds. Man, I'm looking forward to this draft. It's gonna be damned interesting. All this talk about WR's, G's, LB'ers, deep DT draft. I'm cranked already and we have over a month. Screw FA lol

Yeah i'm ready for the draft too. Love this time of the year in the offseason. So many options.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
McClay has been given a pay raise correct? Well let’s make him earn that many. Drafting first round offensive lineman and having a good line isn’t that impressive imo. Let’s sprinkle some 2nd or 3rd rounders in there. Let’s see how McCray has improved that scouting department.

With the resources they've given McClay and the lack of salary cap.....he's already earned his check. He's being asked to improve this team year in and out without money. They gave him a raise because they even know he puts up with crap.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've wanted Maranelli off this team for years now. I'd chose Vea over Maranelli too. Because Maranelli is either going to retire after this season or the season after. He won't be here longer.

My stance of Maraneli has been he's been getting away with having bad or young personnel....he always has a excuse. And he does good enough to warrant being brought back. If he had a stacked defense he wouldnt' do anything with it.

I hate his outdated defense. I hate his how conservative he is. I hate it all.

His unit always overachieve. He can teach kids. That's great. I need more. The fact that he doesn't want a true nose tackle tells me his scheme is outdated and needs to go.

You and me both brother!

He's a great defensive line coach (as in rush the quarterback at all costs!).

But he's little more than that, especially at this point. His bread and butter concepts are outdated, almost as much as the guy he replaced here. It's "NFL 101" stuff now.

The game passes everyone by.

Except Bill Belicheck.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Pardon my French, but **** Rod Marinelli if he's stopping this team from drafting a dominant nose tackle like Vea. His abilities are transcendent of any typical nose tackle limitations.

If I had to choose, I'll draft Vea and fire Methuselah.

So would I but I'm a realist, not a dreamer. Vea is a difference maker if he's on our D-line. hey maybe he'll drop down that far but I doubt it. I think Mari has a big influence on the defensive portion of the draft.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
:popcorn:
Melt downs?

Actually I would not have minded if he was brought back. But this now opens the door for a draft pick. Or if the move Collins back to LG and sign or draft a RT.

I'm no Hudson Houck, but I prefer Collins at guard. I'm hoping we sign a tackle AND draft one.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I've wanted Maranelli off this team for years now. I'd chose Vea over Maranelli too. Because Maranelli is either going to retire after this season or the season after. He won't be here longer.

My stance of Maraneli has been he's been getting away with having bad or young personnel....he always has a excuse. And he does good enough to warrant being brought back. If he had a stacked defense he wouldnt' do anything with it.

I hate his outdated defense. I hate his how conservative he is. I hate it all.

His unit always overachieve. He can teach kids. That's great. I need more. The fact that he doesn't want a true nose tackle tells me his scheme is outdated and needs to go.

I'm ya 100% on Vea. I think Mari will retire after this season. Damned shame we lost Flus but we did gain a Richards.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You and me both brother!

He's a great defensive line coach (as in rush the quarterback at all costs!).

But he's little more than that, especially at this point. His bread and butter concepts are outdated, almost as much as the guy he replaced here. It's "NFL 101" stuff now.

The game passes everyone by.

Except Bill Belicheck.

Yep. And it passed him by. I was ecstatic when we got him here as a defensive line coach. He can coach my line no doubt. I couldn't stand Kiffin either. Hated that signing and its only fitting we hire the same guy to replace him. I knew it would make no different.

Kris Richards seems to be the next guy in line. I sure hope he is nothing like Maranelli.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

He earns it with 3 starters. That's a solid draft. Four would be explosive

J817

Reaction score
With the resources they've given McClay and the lack of salary cap.....he's already earned his check. He's being asked to improve this team year in and out without money. They gave him a raise because they even know he puts up with crap.

If the solution to the LG spot is to draft yet another OL in the first, I would consider it a fail. Idc how well McClay has worked with the cap. If his office is unable to fill a spot inbetween two All Pro players without using a first then there needs to be changes within that office. Not necessarily McClay, but someone in that scouting department needs to lose their job.

cowboyec

Reaction score
last year it was crystal clear to me....DE.

this year...OG,WR,LB,DT,S,OT.

last year....my gutt said Taco or Charles Harris.

this year...Ridley,Hernandez,Wynn,Evans,Payne,Davenport.
If I was forced to bottom line it...Ridley,Hernandez,Evans or Davenport.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. And it passed him by. I was ecstatic when we got him here as a defensive line coach. He can coach my line no doubt. I couldn't stand Kiffin either. Hated that signing and its only fitting we hire the same guy to replace him. I knew it would make no different.

Kris Richards seems to be the next guy in line. I sure hope he is nothing like Maranelli.

We can "thank" Larry Lacewell for that one too. His last "middle finger" to us Cowboys fans before he finally left for good.

diefree666

Reaction score
I'm no Hudson Houck, but I prefer Collins at guard. I'm hoping we sign a tackle AND draft one.
by the end of the season Collins was playing pretty good and no reason to think he will not get better.

J817

Reaction score
He earns it with 3 starters. That's a solid draft. Four would be explosive

Explosive? Did the Cowboys get a new coaching staff I’m not aware of? Would drafting Henerndez some how reinvent the play book? Will the stale offense we saw last year suddenly become fresh?

fansince80_dc

Reaction score
I thought he played decent, and got better as the year went along. But not great, and after the injury to end the year, I'm not too upset