Twitter: Jonathan Cooper signs with San Francisco

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Don't really care which way we go with Collins, LG or RT. Just get it right. Plug him in at one spot or the other, maybe RT since the chemistry is there. Would love to see Hernandez drafted as the LG. If we decide to go with Collins at LG, the chemistry is there too. Not sure about Flemming (big if today because he isn't even signed) at RT so draft another tackle somewhere to compete with whomever we sign as a FA. TE helps out on the right side anyway.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
I hope we don't take OL first round again unless there's really no one else when we pick. I think they showed some interest in Tyrell Crosby and he's a day 2 prospect

2 of the 3 known draft visit are ol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guard is also a safe position on this team. You can win in this league with decent guard play. You don't need a 1st round talent to win in this league.

And yet, we're projected to line up two first round talents there and pay one the highest contract for the position in the league...

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
So I guess that means we will trade for one of the O-linemen that they are planning on cutting?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I would have started another thread about this, but apparently people are getting their feelings hurt with all of these things that don't belong.

Another guard off the market and some people wanted him:

Hardline

Reaction score
I'm not. We can't keep using 1st rounders every time we need a lineman. Other teams can find linemen in the 2nd and 3rd and 4th rounds. I advise the Cowboys to do the same.
The Cowboys aren't capable of finding good offensive lineman in the later rounds. They don't know how.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
What does it tell you that this team has nothing to replace him?

Less than a "bum"?

Feel better now? Or worse?

Honestly Stash, you're gonna beat that "nothing to replace him with" to death. What's bothering you? Drafting a G high in the draft or not knowing who our RT is. The Cooper piece was going to fall. Does the fact that it fell before a replacement was found really matter?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
It was in an interview Stephen was giving and the media asked about the oline and Stephen basically said "they had good depth with Cooper", obviously indicating that Cooper was a backup and not considered the starter.

Probably pissed Cooper off that he was considered depth and not starting caliber so not surprising he bolted to another team.

Yeah let's run with that. Feel better?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And yet, we're projected to line up two first round talents there and pay one the highest contract for the position in the league...

I don't think its wise honestly. Cowboys are doing it......my stance has always been I love Zach Martin....but if it came down to him and Lawrence i'd take Lawrence based on the position Lawrence plays.

Martin is a elite talent. You bring elite talent back. But if people wonder how come we have elite offensive linemen but sit here at 8-8 or 9-7 with them? Its because our offensive line is a luxury with Tyron. I don't regret the Zach Martin move in drafting him. But he's a luxury. You can win in this league with above average guard play. Martin gives you All Pro elite guard play.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I was hoping to re-sign him for continuity.

I think if the Cowboys seriously wanted him back, they would have negotiated a deal with Cooper BEFORE free agency began. In this particular case, I think it is wise to trust the judgement of the coaches that it was not a priority to keep Cooper. In fact, we don't actually know if they would ever have resigned him, even for a minimum deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly Stash, you're gonna beat that "nothing to replace him with" to death. What's bothering you? Drafting a G high in the draft or not knowing who our RT is. The Cooper piece was going to fall. Does the fact that it fell before a replacement was found really matter?

Getting worse bothers me.

I'm fine with drafting a G high in the draft. Just hope he pans out immediately and doesn't get injured, otherwise not only did yiu not get better, you got worse.

See, I know that Cooper did a good job for this team. Far better than that joke of an excuse for a player in Chaz Green ever did.

But since he left, suddenly, he's "a bum" and it's "goods riddance" from the Forever Homer crowd. While Olawale is suddenly some "stud" that we "stole" from the Raiders.

Enough with the bull**** already. This team is not only not getting better, they're getting worse. It's not bade enough that they're not signing even a single free agent to improve, they're losing what they had, with nothing to recplace it.

More steps backward.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
its been guard from the beginning

More likely, the Cowboys are looking just as hard at Right Tackle. Whether Collins stays at Tackle, or moves back to Guard is probably heavily dependent on if the Cowboys get a better replacement at Guard or at Tackle. If the better replacement is at Tackle, then Collins will be moving back to Guard.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't capable of finding good offensive lineman in the later rounds. They don't know how.
How many times have they done it? Because Fredericks was more than likely going to be a 2nd rounder....they took him early to get the extra year.

Any time they have taken a shot on a linemen...they've developed them(Cooper, Leary, Collins) and they've drafted them in later rounds(Parnell). They missed on Chaz Green but their resume is much stronger than you give them credit for.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I don't think its wise honestly. Cowboys are doing it......my stance has always been I love Zach Martin....but if it came down to him and Lawrence i'd take Lawrence based on the position Lawrence plays.

Martin is a elite talent. You bring elite talent back. But if people wonder how come we have elite offensive linemen but sit here at 8-8 or 9-7 with them? Its because our offensive line is a luxury with Tyron. I don't regret the Zach Martin move in drafting him. But he's a luxury. You can win in this league with above average guard play. Martin gives you All Pro elite guard play.

That's kind of my feeling on Hernandez too. He's a luxury at this point. That's why I'm ok with moving Collins back to LG. I'm selling out

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if the Cowboys seriously wanted him back, they would have negotiated a deal with Cooper BEFORE free agency began. In this particular case, I think it is wise to trust the judgement of the coaches that it was not a priority to keep Cooper. In fact, we don't actually know if they would ever have resigned him, even for a minimum deal.

Why would you "trust" the people that thought Chaz Green could play?