Twitter: Jonathan Cooper signs with San Francisco

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
anyone else laugh at how pathetic dallas is that Cooper went elsewhere???? my God
huh? it's not like he turned us down.
we were setting up meetings with other guys before he signed elsewhere.
he's on his 5th NFL team....

nycowboyfan

Reaction score
He was a very nice fall back option. This is getting crazy. We need to be able to go into the draft looking for BPA not need. Enough already.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
anyone else laugh at how pathetic dallas is that Cooper went elsewhere???? my God
Perhaps the Cowboys told him that he was not in their plan going forward and to seek a contract elsewhere. Best he could do was a one year deal?

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
This is awesome. I wasn't too impressed with Coop. I was worried we would resign him because he should come cheap. Coop and Fredbeard got blew up on the regular this past season by powerful 1T (something we don't have). I hope we draft a decent G to develop in round 4 and get a salvageable G in FA for the present, if we can just stop buying helicopters, expensive art work and personalized private planes, we might be able to afford decent players.

:laugh::laugh:
You think that is why we aren't signing big name players???

conner01

Reaction score
Sigh.....ugh.......if its the best player there.....I might have to listen. But I really don't think that will be the case. I think guard at 19 is going to be a reach. If its not linebacker or safety....then we need to trade up for one of those positions. I'd stand pat for a receiver.
There are a handful of LB and WR who would be higher on any board
Just a matter of if they are still around

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
And now we know. Which would you rather have, a dominant LG and average RT or an average LG and dominant RT? Will be interested to see what happens with the two T's we talked to from NE. What i hope is that the team and Alexander as the O-line coach make a solid decision on Collins' best fit, put him there at the onset of training camp and leave him there. Let him grow at one or the other. Same with whomever we decide on at T. I'd love to see us draft Hernandez or Wynne at G and leave Collins at T but I thinks that's a luxury given our needs at LB'er. Is this a deeper draft for T or G?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Que the 19th pick spent on another OL.

Another OL in the first..................wow

Dallas is the only team in the entire league that has to have all five starters being number one draft picks.:omg:

I guess that is the only way Garrett's dino offense from the 90s has any chance to work.

No words...............literally no words:facepalm:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Good. Stephen made it pretty clear we considered him a backup.

Trouble is that we don't even have him as a backup. We've got to sign someone for that role since Looney isn't under contract, either. I was hoping Cooper would essentially take Looney's spot.

cern

Reaction score
Not at all unexpected. He played adequately but can be easily replaced. Hope potential signee Fleming doesn't get more leverage as a result.

gimmesix

Reaction score
John Lynch:

"Having started 27 games in four NFL seasons, Jonathan brings great experience to the interior of our offensive line. We look forward to him competing for a starting job at guard, while also bringing a veteran presence to our locker room. Jonathan is a welcome addition to our team."

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe we'll be more likely to pay it, though, since Cooper is no longer an option (if he ever was).

I'm cool with that if they're reasonable. Again, I was figuring Cooper would have cost around $3 million. Then give them Chaz Green's $700,000 and maybe we'll have a deal?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
John Lynch:

"Having started 27 games in four NFL seasons, Jonathan brings great experience to the interior of our offensive line. We look forward to him competing for a starting job at guard, while also bringing a veteran presence to our locker room. Jonathan is a welcome addition to our team."

Stephen Jones called him a backup.....................not surprising he left, he probably felt disrespected.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets not whine about a player nobody was that thrilled about when he was here anyway. Last year the O-Line was the worst it has been in a few years, and moving Collins to RT and plugging Cooper in at LG was part of that. This opens the door for us to either draft or sign a RT and move Collins back to LG, or if the Cowboys feel okay with Collins progression at RT. then sign or draft a new LG.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They aren’t cutting green yet
He will get camp to prove himself
No real reason not to. Cheap camp body if nothing else
But I think his time is short

I'm not rushing him out the door, unless they need the $700,000 that bad right now, but I never want to hear about this player being counted on or considered for anything again.

He was a mistake when they overdrafted a 6th round player in the 3rd round and has proven it ever since.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Stephen Jones called him a backup.....................not surprising he left, he probably felt disrespected.

It doesn't appear that we were in any kind of hurry to sign him so you can't blame him for going someplace where he at least is expected to be given a chance to start.

It's funny that we have no starting replacement and yet we call him a backup. Maybe next time we should wait to do that until we actually have someone better on the roster.