Twitter: Jonathan Cooper signs with San Francisco

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones called him a backup.....................not surprising he left, he probably felt disrespected.

Where/when did Stephen call him that? I'm not saying he didn't, it just would be surprising since I don't recall the team ever ruling out a possible return before he signed with SF. In any case, the 49ers indicated that he could be a backup with them. They said they are looking forward to him competing for a starting role, not that they are looking forward to him actually filling the role.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets not whine about a player nobody was that thrilled about when he was here anyway. Last year the O-Line was the worst it has been in a few years, and moving Collins to RT and plugging Cooper in at LG was part of that. This opens the door for us to either draft or sign a RT and move Collins back to LG, or if the Cowboys feel okay with Collins progression at RT. then sign or draft a new LG.

Yeah, so losing a player and having nothing is a good thing!

:facepalm:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Will Hernandez,Utep.
unless Cameron Fleming can play OG.
Living in El Paso, I've been to several of that sorry team's games.
Hernandez was always a men amongst boys. It was glaring. That guy punked people on that field.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
He’s the same bum he’s always been. I don’t understand why anyone wanted him back. He started 13 games last year, a career high for him, and he struggled. The best he could do from teams with tons of cap space was a one year contract. That should tell you plenty.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't appear that we were in any kind of hurry to sign him so you can't blame him for going someplace where he at least is expected to be given a chance to start.

It's funny that we have no starting replacement and yet we call him a backup. Maybe next time we should wait to do that until we actually have someone better on the roster.

If you have nothing else, doesn't that make your backup in fact, your starter?

Only in Dysfunction Junction...

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It doesn't appear that we were in any kind of hurry to sign him so you can't blame him for going someplace where he at least is expected to be given a chance to start.

It's funny that we have no starting replacement and yet we call him a backup. Maybe next time we should wait to do that until we actually have someone better on the roster.

Oh I don't blame him, I probably would have done the same thing.

It was stupid for Stephen to disrespect him, even if they weren't all that thrilled with him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s the same bum he’s always been. I don’t understand why anyone wanted him back. He started 13 games last year, a career high for him, and he struggled. The best he could do from teams with tons of cap space was a one year contract. That should tell you plenty.

What does it tell you that this team has nothing to replace him?

Less than a "bum"?

Feel better now? Or worse?

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
We got our CB’s beyond the first last year. I would be ok if We went O line first then went LB(s) S and WR after.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh he’s something. The human turnstile for opposing defenses! I’m sure he’s a favorite amongst defenders

Mr-Softee.jpg

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Where/when did Stephen call him that? I'm not saying he didn't, it just would be surprising since I don't recall the team ever ruling out a possible return before he signed with SF. In any case, the 49ers indicated that he could be a backup with them. They said they are looking forward to him competing for a starting role, not that they are looking forward to him actually filling the role.

It was in an interview Stephen was giving and the media asked about the oline and Stephen basically said "they had good depth with Cooper", obviously indicating that Cooper was a backup and not considered the starter.

Probably pissed Cooper off that he was considered depth and not starting caliber so not surprising he bolted to another team.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What does it tell you that this team has nothing to replace him?

Less than a "bum"?

Feel better now? Or worse?
You don’t keep a failed experiment just because you don’t have his replacement on the roster in March....come on, man. How stupid would it be to pay him, then replace him? We don’t have a game for 6 months. You don’t resign guys you don’t want.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don’t keep a failed experiment just because you don’t have his replacement on the roster in March....come on, man. How stupid would it be to pay him, then replace him? We don’t have a game for 6 months. You don’t resign guys you don’t want.

How about you "come one man"? Seriously.

If anyone is to be labeled a "failed experiment", it's the guy who is somehow still here, Chaz Green.

Cooper took the job, despite what the idiots on the Cowboys staff wanted, and he played well. This offense got better when he was out there instead of Green.

But, as usual, every player is a "stud" coming in the door and a "bum" walking out.

It's much more "stupid" to watch your best option walk out the door while having nothing to replace him.

Or do we now switch fingers and fix this leak by moving Collins back to guard and open up a new leak at right tackle?

Tell me how in any way losing your starting left guard with zero replacement is "good"?

RamziD

Reaction score
i am all for ol on the 1st round.

I hope we don't take OL first round again unless there's really no one else when we pick. I think they showed some interest in Tyrell Crosby and he's a day 2 prospect