Josh Allen extended by Buffalo

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Where did you get that? All of the details are not out but he didn't sign a new deal not to get paid now.

Still awaiting yearly breakdown but this is out:

"Josh Allen signed a 6 year, $258,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including $150,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $43,000,000. In 2021, Allen will earn a base salary of $920,000 and a roster bonus of $2,618,596, while carrying a cap hit of $6,910,057."

"The pact keeps Allen, who has two years remaining on his current deal after the Bills exercised his fifth-year option, under contract with Buffalo through 2028."

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still awaiting yearly breakdown but this is out:

"Josh Allen signed a 6 year, $258,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including $150,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $43,000,000. In 2021, Allen will earn a base salary of $920,000 and a roster bonus of $2,618,596, while carrying a cap hit of $6,910,057."
Where's the signing bonus? That's what put Prescott at 66M this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Teams win Super Bowls

You got it, it is not golf or tennis it is in my view the ultimate team sports. As great as Mahomes is we saw vs Tampa, his left tackle goes down early in the game and Mahomes and KC could not do anything getting hammered 31 to 9. No TD passes but 2 ints, sacked 3 times and hurried a lot through out the game. Mahomes did not turn into a bad QB but an important part of his offense went down and had a big effect on his ability as a QB. People want to act as if this game is a 1 man show, it is not

Flamma

Reaction score
It will not go 6 years and both sides know it. It will be lucky to make 4 years. 150M / 4 is 37.5 and that will be low by 2024.

Comparing this to Prescott's 4 year isn't fair, his agent was holding out to negotiate in 4, Allen's agent will do the same thing. Mahomes 10 year deal is a joke.

Rodgers is MVP, think he's taking backseat to Mahomes in the area that matters most? That's how QB's keep score. Most could care less about Brady's rings, they'll take their salary over his.

What are you talking about? Quarterbacks typically get extended 1 year prior to the end of their contract. Or after their 3rd year on their rookie deal. Rarely do they ever deviate from that. So yeah, Allen won't see the 6th year because he'll be extended after playing out 5 years. Mahomes after playing out 9 years. That is unless they're cut or traded before that.

Flamma

Reaction score
Where did you get that? All of the details are not out but he didn't sign a new deal not to get paid now.

I'm not sure you know how extensions work. By definition an extension does not replace, it extends. His new deal starts in 2023. An extension to his rookie deal. He gets his signing bonus now. Nothing else. Well, maybe more women.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are you talking about? Quarterbacks typically get extended 1 year prior to the end of their contract. Or after their 3rd year on their rookie deal. Rarely do they ever deviate from that. So yeah, Allen won't see the 6th year because he'll be extended after playing out 5 years. Mahomes after playing out 9 years. That is unless they're cut or traded before that.
Let's wait and see but all of these deals get redone for QB's. The terrain keeps changing and so do the contracts.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Allen only had reasonable talent around him last season and has never had a good offensive line. He has done far more with less compared with Prescott.

Watch the play off game versus the Colts last season. In my opinion only Rodgers, Mahomes and maybe Wilson on a going day could have also won that game. The QB needed elite use of their legs to escape the pocket and be highly proficient at throwing (including on the run).

That's why Allen is worth the big bucks.
Dak is one of the most accurate QBs throwing on the run. Or am i imagining that

Flamma

Reaction score
Let's wait and see but all of these deals get redone for QB's. The terrain keeps changing and so do the contracts.

Ok. the next time you see a QB deal get redone with more than 1 year left on their contract, let me know. We don't count 5th year options.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure you know how extensions work. By definition an extension does not replace, it extends. His new deal starts in 2023. An extension to his rookie deal. He gets his signing bonus now. Nothing else. Well, maybe more women.
More women for sure but gold diggers in Buffalo are still frightening. Every time I see a Buffalo home crowd I get ready for the trick r treaters at the door.

There was no incentive for Allen to sign an extension without a large payment in the form of the bonus, which changes his compensation and I have the IRS to back me up on that.

Flamma, as we are learning, it is important for every team to keep their trigger man happy and rich because if he gets unhappy, see Rodgers, Watson and Wilson, ain't nobody happy.

This is the most fluid situation in all sports because the NFL does not guarantee contracts and it will change every year as we're already seeing that happen. Prescott is not going to be top 5 paid when you factor is the guaranteed portion of the contracts.

How long ago were we in shock that a QB was getting 20M to play the game? Not long ago at all and the effect of this new cap is going to drive this even higher as the QB position is dragging down a disproportionate amount of the cap increase every year.

Flamma

Reaction score
you are thinking cap hit
He’s about to get 150 million guaranteed
Each years cap hit is not really a big deal except to a teams cap
He is the second highest paid QB in the nfl with this deal

I'm not thinking cap hit. Allen's new deal starts in 2023. He still has to play out his rookie contract. Similar to Patrick Mahomes. His new contract doesn't start until next year. 2021 is his 5th year option. His 10 years starts next year. The only difference is that the players that sign now get their signing bonus up front.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. the next time you see a QB deal get redone with more than 1 year left on their contract, let me know. We don't count 5th year options.
What's this "we"? You made up that rule, there is no "we"!

If a QB is hot and deemed irreplaceable by the fo, I do not see many 5th year options getting executed with QB's.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not thinking cap hit. Allen's new deal starts in 2023. He still has to play out his rookie contract. Similar to Patrick Mahomes. His new contract doesn't start until next year. 2021 is his 5th year option. His 10 years starts next year. The only difference is that the players that sign now get their signing bonus up front.
And that bonus is factored in against the cap. One of the reasons they get these longer deals is to stretch out the bonus and the NFL allows them to write that off when they do a new deal.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Allen and Prescott have won the exact same amount of Super Bowls.

What is the comparison of championship game appearances? How quick did Allen get to one while Dak still hasn't done it in 5 seasons?

Flamma

Reaction score
More women for sure but gold diggers in Buffalo are still frightening. Every time I see a Buffalo home crowd I get ready for the trick r treaters at the door.

There was no incentive for Allen to sign an extension without a large payment in the form of the bonus, which changes his compensation and I have the IRS to back me up on that.

Flamma, as we are learning, it is important for every team to keep their trigger man happy and rich because if he gets unhappy, see Rodgers, Watson and Wilson, ain't nobody happy.

This is the most fluid situation in all sports because the NFL does not guarantee contracts and it will change every year as we're already seeing that happen. Prescott is not going to be top 5 paid when you factor is the guaranteed portion of the contracts.

How long ago were we in shock that a QB was getting 20M to play the game? Not long ago at all and the effect of this new cap is going to drive this even higher as the QB position is dragging down a disproportionate amount of the cap increase every year.

Right now we don't know what Allen's signing bonus is. We just know he got 150 million in guaranteed money. A portion of that is paid up front in bonus money. But in 2021 he is being paid rookie contract money.

Flamma

Reaction score
And that bonus is factored in against the cap. One of the reasons they get these longer deals is to stretch out the bonus and the NFL allows them to write that off when they do a new deal.

Yeah. If he got a 6 year extension with 2 years left on his rookie deal, they can spread the bonus out over 8 years if they wish.