Josh Allen extended by Buffalo

Hardline

Reaction score
Dak's contract is starting to look like the new normal like many expected.
Just because it's the new normal doesn't mean you should pay good QBs like great QBs.
And that's exactly what the Cowboys did,
I don't care what the rest of the league is doing.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm not thinking cap hit. Allen's new deal starts in 2023. He still has to play out his rookie contract. Similar to Patrick Mahomes. His new contract doesn't start until next year. 2021 is his 5th year option. His 10 years starts next year. The only difference is that the players that sign now get their signing bonus up front.
His 150 million guaranteed starts the minute he signs
The portion that’s signing bonus he gets when he signs
The guarded years don’t come till they come and it’s all spread out over the contract but he doesn’t wait 2 years to start getting paid

conner01

Reaction score
Plus the bonus, the reason he signed.
The signing bonus portion could be split over a couple years but he will get part when he signs
Some of the 150 is likely guaranteed years which they will convert to bonus when they get here

conner01

Reaction score
Just because it's the new normal doesn't mean you should pay good QBs like great QBs.
Depends on what you consider good or great
If you want a QB you are gonna pay them
Otherwise you just draft a new one every 5 years and pray you picked well
History shows picking a QB is the hardest position to pick with lots of first round busts
Many true busts who aren’t even in the good category

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean you don't have to "care" but you are fooling yourself if you think there are going to be teams who stray away from the norm....just because lol.

They clearly feel they paid a great, young quarterback top dollar.

Reactions: CWR

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is why you don't hit the panic button and just wait and watch the market climb. This is also why you don't wait to sign a player you're sure is a franchise player.
Yep

If we were all in on Dak we should have signed him a couple years ago. And by most accounts we were ever since we made the decision to go with him instead of Romo.

But our ownership played to the media and criticism wanting the teams success to validate a huge contract. And that level of success never came and why it played out like it did with Dak eventually basically getting the demands he wanted.

Ultimately they got their guy but it cost them more than it should have and risked losing him . And why most teams lock up their QB much earlier avoiding the risk and drama while usually saving money.

CWR

Reaction score
I already said I would....I rank Allen just above Dak....but the difference is you literally slobber over allen but bash dak incessently.....

Exactly. I would take Allen as well, but they aren't nearly as far apart as some make them out to be.

I cant understand the mentality of letting a top 6-8 qb go because you don't want to pay market value.

Especially when you have all the other tools on offense. You don't just throw that away and start over. Its ridiculous.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s becoming more clear every year that it’s a QB driven league. You simply can’t win championships these days by playing great defense and having an average QB manage games. Championship games come down to the QB having to make plays.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It’s becoming more clear every year that it’s a QB driven league. You simply can’t win championships these days by playing great defense and having an average QB manage games. Championship games come down to the QB having to make plays.

Good job we got Dak locked down on his contract for the next few years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It had to be done but good luck convincing the idiots on this board who believe you don’t need to spend big money on a QB.

Havent you heard you can't when you spend 100 mil on a QB? *cough* Mahomes and Wilson *cough* Seriously though, it's good we've got Dak. Drafting a QB every time the contract is up isn't a good way to build a team.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Havent you heard you can't when you spend 100 mil on a QB? *cough* Mahomes and Wilson *cough* Seriously though, it's good we've got Dak. Drafting a QB every time the contract is up isn't a good way to build a team.
I don't mind paying that much for a QB if he's worth that much. Dak has not shown to be worth that much, in my opinion.

Mahomes and Wilson? Worth it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Drafting a QB is a huge crapshoot. Just look at the 2018 draft. Mayfield was the number one overall pick and he’s been pretty good but nothing special. Sam Darnold was the next QB taken and he flamed out in New York. Josh Allen was the next QB taken and he’s been far better than the two QBs taken ahead of him. Josh Rosen was the next QB off the board and he’s no longer in the league. The last QB to go was Lamar Jackson and he’s already been a league MVP. Josh Allen may end up being the best QB in that draft class.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, and I'd still take Allen over Dak any day and you probably would too, you might not admit it, but you would.
I would, he's 3" taller with a cannon for an arm. There is a reason he was a 1st rounder and Prescott was a 4th.

However, here's the rub, they do not have the choice. All through all of that drama of signing Prescott, I kept asking the same question and not getting any reasonable answer. If not Prescott, who? What were the options? Dalton? They tried that. Move up in the draft for who?

When have Booger and Porky ever, EVER, shown the ability to pick a QB? When they luck into one as they did Romo, they have to hold on to them regardless of the cost.

Does anyone here need reminding of their attempt to trade up for Lynch or plan to take Cook and settled for Prescott? That's the two people picking your QB and you'd better be damned happy they got one as good as Prescott. He might not be what you want but they could, and have, done a lot worse.

They lucked into Romo and Prescott, the last thing they need to do is think they can do that a 3rd time. Just think about where the team would be had they pulled that trade for Lynch or worse, taken Cook and not Prescott.

There were no reasonable options to not re-signing Prescott. None. Other teams might have had them but not this one run by those two.

blueblood70

Reaction score
LOL, that no trade clause really ....Dak's agent really fleeced ole Jerry there. Had he asked for his first born, Jerry Jr. would be gone.
and no franchise tag he did take jerry to the woodshed..most likely punishment for not offering new deal after year 3..