Josh Allen extended by Buffalo

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now we don't know what Allen's signing bonus is. We just know he got 150 million in guaranteed money. A portion of that is paid up front in bonus money. But in 2021 he is being paid rookie contract money.
Plus the bonus, the reason he signed.

Flamma

Reaction score
What's this "we"? You made up that rule, there is no "we"!

If a QB is hot and deemed irreplaceable by the fo, I do not see many 5th year options getting executed with QB's.

5th year options are only for rookie deals. Rookie deals are 4 years and players can get extensions after 3. After the rookie deal you don't see extensions with more than 1 year left on their contract. Typically.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Oh ok. So what is Josh Allens excuse? He gets them right? Just not Dak.
Why are you doing this? lol

Nobody gave Allen an excuse for anything. You need to chill, friend. You're getting fired up because someone thinks Allen is better than Dak, I don't know if you know, but MOST EVERYONE thinks Allen is better than Dak outside of a few delusional on this forum.

Flamma

Reaction score
Plus the bonus, the reason he signed.

Not necessarily. They sign for the guaranteed money. Bonus money is rarely a sticking point. Look at Zeke's extension. He got an 80 million dollar contract with 50 million guaranteed. I think his bonus was like 7.5 million. He signed due to the 50 million guaranteed.

Teams need to be more careful with bonus money. That's not something you can take back. If a QB decides he wants a trade, you can always pass off guaranteed money, but not bonus.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm not thinking cap hit. Allen's new deal starts in 2023. He still has to play out his rookie contract. Similar to Patrick Mahomes. His new contract doesn't start until next year. 2021 is his 5th year option. His 10 years starts next year. The only difference is that the players that sign now get their signing bonus up front.
financially speaking its always advantageous to get money in advance. always....so these guys getting all this money a year or two in advance are that far better off than getting it after contract is over.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I already said I would....I rank Allen just above Dak....but the difference is you literally slobber over allen but bash dak incessently.....
I don't bash Dak, I provide evidence to back things up, but if I did, why does that bother you so much? Just hit the ignore button if you don't like what I say lol

Flamma

Reaction score
financially speaking its always advantageous to get money in advance. always....so these guys getting all this money a year or two in advance are that far better off than getting it after contract is over.

Well sure. But they're only getting bonus money in advance. They still play under the rookie contract. They're signing for the guaranteed money in the future. Bonus money varies greatly. Dak got a ton of it. Zeke did not.

erod

Reaction score
what makes allen elite? just out of curiosity.....

He's not yet.....

But he has the strongest arm I've ever seen, and he's learning to dial it down better and better on the short throws. He's also super athletic and competitive. I'd definitely take a chance on a contract with him.

Especially if you're Buffalo, and you're not a destination organization geographically.

Loso86

Reaction score
I wouldn't say getting a QB not ranked in the top 5 by anyone top 2 money is a bad rep. Agents would loved to have that rep.

You are taking a strategy employed against some front offices as the only way France chooses to do business. He got criticized for not getting that deal for Prescott the first time when they were in agreement to wait. Prescott did not fire his agent like so many here predicted but France was villainized for working in the best interest of his client with that client's cooperation.

Stonewalling in negotiations is one of the most effective strategies one can employ, all dependent on who you are negotiating with. An ignored call or message usually gets action and it did in this case because the Joneses could keep their ever flapping mouths shut. Played right into France's strategy. They whined to the media and he remained silent.

Loso, throughout all of that marathon negotiating, from our point of view, not one time did I see anyone address the real problem. The Joneses chose to try and use the media, going as far as to plant a lie about what Prescott was demanding and I do not think that 40M lie turned into the truth by coincidence.

These are the same people that planted that bogus parking lot video about Dez Bryant during the negotiations causing him the threaten to hold out and that head idiot actually said his QB, the one he was negotiating with, was the only QB that could play behind the OL he had given him. The negotiations paused while Romo, his wife and agent conferred about the latest stupid remark from the GM.

How is the hell does anyone fault any agent or player for getting over on these clowns?

Do you see any other teams trying to use the media in negotiations? Did we even know what the Bills were up to? Do we know what BAL, AZ and CLE are up to? We think we do but they're not letting us in on it because their fragile egos don't need celebrity juju.
They can't, and I'm not saying it's good or bad but I am saying it is a 2 WAY Street

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't bash Dak, I provide evidence to back things up, but if I did, why does that bother you so much? Just hit the ignore button if you don't like what I say lol
who said its bothering me. its your wishful thinking. nothing in life bothers me, specially something that's suppose to be entertainment...

so you back things up by saying he has a prosthetic leg? or should I show you your own post?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well sure. But they're only getting bonus money in advance. They still play under the rookie contract. They're signing for the guaranteed money in the future. Bonus money varies greatly. Dak got a ton of it. Zeke did not.
60+M in advance, two years before your contract is up...that's nothing to sneeze at...vs, waiting two years and getting 60M and perhaps getting injured in the process and losing your career as it has happened before

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He's not yet.....

But he has the strongest arm I've ever seen, and he's learning to dial it down better and better on the short throws. He's also super athletic and competitive. I'd definitely take a chance on a contract with him.

Especially if you're Buffalo, and you're not a destination organization geographically.
have you seen Elway? he had a strong arm.

quickccc

Reaction score
Before last season? Not many people. But after last season, anyone that though Buffalo wanted to keep Allen. Most teams aren't like the Cowboys. Teams that want to keep their rookie QB sign them to extensions after their 3rd rookie season. Mayfield and Jackson are soon to follow.

As far as the Jackson camp is concerned, that MVP award a couple of years back is on his resume, and both Jackson camp and Ravens team are going to consider
that as a very high individual achievement and you can bet it's gonna be a huge bargaining tool in that new upcoming contract.
A question remains as when that time will come.
Depending upon their cap, Ravens may decide to franchise him one year before they eventually decide how much/how big a record contract to give him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is why you don't hit the panic button and just wait and watch the market climb. This is also why you don't wait to sign a player you're sure is a franchise player.

But if your not 10000% sure you don't sign him

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Dak is one of the most accurate QBs throwing on the run. Or am i imagining that

Unfortunately due to his injury last season and now his arm injury he is doing neither so it will be a wait and see approach this season.