Jourdan Lewis is getting abused

Aven8

Reaction score
Lewis made his name in the slot and it’s obvious the almost career ending injury last year has slowed him down this year. Having said that Theilan was there best player and looks fantastic after going down hill in Minny.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
My issue isn’t giving up a few catches here and there. Slot corner is a difficult position to play.

My issue is he is the new 3rd and Reeves (Jacque). Teams are finding him on 3rd and 4th downs
Maybe I'm misinformed then but I only recall him giving up about 2 or 3 catches yesterday....

It's gonna happen. Someone has to get beat. Someone WILL get beat. Is it better if it's spread out? Bland gets beat on a 3rd down? Gilmore? I just feel like it averages out.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
To be fair, he was supposed to be CB4 and he's coming off a major injury that many thought he would start the season on PUP for.

Teams aren't throwing very much at Gilmore and Bland, so he's kind of the next guy in the pecking order.

blueblood70

Reaction score
At what point do we accept that he is getting abused as the slot corner and move on.
You do realize that every team can't be 3 Deep the Philadelphia Eagles back in gets abused every single game... There's gonna be a weak link on every team you cannot have pro bowlers or players that good at all three levels typically

when we lost Trayvon dates for the season we knew this was probably gonna happen we were gonna have to try to cover it up the best we can... So while I understand where the post comes from because he is the weak link of that back end let's talk about the not being able to stop the run and if teams were smarter they would keep running the football teams get away from running the football cause they get down but if I was other teams I'd run 45 times a game against this defense and have guys puking on the sideline because they didn't keep themselves in shape to handle a 14 play drive...

The bigger problem with this defense is it's boom or bust they're either getting turnovers and sacks or giving up long scoring drives it is the whole defense not just JLewis

again I understand where the criticisms come from but we got problems also at linebacker the center of the defensive line guys aren't coming up even Micah Parsons doesn't look like he's interested in trying to help stop the run and he's supposed to be a linebacker and he doesn't want to be a linebacker they need to move him to full time defensive end and that's it because he doesn't play the run very well he'll never be defensive player of the year in my eyes getting 10 to 14 sacks staying on the field and blowouts trying to pad his stats when we can't stop the run worth a damn

you know we aren't you wanna know what looks like stopping the run should look like look at the Texas Longhorns defense with sweat in the middle and those guys they gave up nine yards on the ground to a team that likes to run the football in their house in a game they needed.... You're giving up please making dudes look like Barry Sanders Oh no wait it was miles Sanders but he sure looked like Barry if they would have kept running we might have lost this game...

blueblood70

Reaction score
One of the best 4th corners in the league. Remember last season with Brown and company at the end of the year. Joseph biting on a 3rd and long pass play against Jacksonville, the Packers punishing our second and third corners. :huh: :facepalm:
You do realize that could be said about most teams I mean do people in here not watch football you can't have great players in every position you have to accept that there's weak spots on your defense and the way to fix that is to not have the coaches put them in positions to have to be the guy where's the cover up where's our safeties and by the way you want to complain about something let's complain about the lack of run stopping ability of this defense and this defense giving up long scoring drives that if they team wants to run and they have a mobile quarterback they probably would have won yesterday if they had a smarter play caller.. When I look at our defense I see our defense as having a huge weakness it's either boom or bust they're either getting a lot of sacks and turnovers or they're on the field giving up long scoring drives into bad teams to boot I mean if you look at the three losses the one in Arizona you can look at the defense that's the problem not Lewis by himself..

It's really odd that you think that every team it should be great at every position the Philadelphia Eagles has a bad back end and they do everything they can to fix it and they can't you know why because there's always at least one weakness you can't expect that that many good corners on the team...

blueblood70

Reaction score
To be fair, he was supposed to be CB4 and he's coming off a major injury that many thought he would start the season on PUP for.

Teams aren't throwing very much at Gilmore and Bland, so he's kind of the next guy in the pecking order.
100% and it's not just the fact that he's coming off an injury I don't know how many teams that have a great third and fourth option at corner I don't know any they have great second options at corner we have an embarrassment of riches imagine if Trayvon diggs didn't get hurt that's what this team was built to do this year and we lost a key player and now we're blaming Lewis I saw things on that field that you can look at safeties being out of position linebackers not doing their job the middle of the defensive line getting hammered in the run game yeah we got bigger problems than Lewis this is pretty normal in the NFL or anywhere in football that you're not gonna have that many good players at one position..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't see any way he will be back next season. Cowboys need to let him go whenever it's smart too.

He doesn't look like a CB4 and I'm not sure he can play S.
Very true but also why are people just skipping over the fact that the fan base believes that we're playing fantasy football or Madden then we can just insert anyone as a 3rd or 4th at any position and expect them to be great I mean this is part of building a team and you have weaknesses you cannot have strength at every position I wanna know where the safety help is where is the design of the plays that keep putting Lewis in a position to be picked on?

But let's talk more about the lack of being able to stop the run once again and letting a team have a drive that was like what 14 plays they converted three fourth down plays I mean they had our defense on the field all game I'd hardly put that on Lewis...

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Maybe I'm misinformed then but I only recall him giving up about 2 or 3 catches yesterday....

It's gonna happen. Someone has to get beat. Someone WILL get beat. Is it better if it's spread out? Bland gets beat on a 3rd down? Gilmore? I just feel like it averages out.
if he had made just one third down breakup vs the eagles we wouldve won.
He was targeted on every 3rd and long to save the eagles drives i think 4 times.

I thought he played somewhat better vs the panthers and had a FF that didnt bounce our way. Hoping he gets better after that injury.

Creeper

Reaction score
Diggs got paid and the way Bland is playing he is going to get paid too. I don't see where they have any room for a 3rd all-pro CB under the CAP. Lewis is the weak link but as others have stated, Diggs getting hurt is why he is on the field so much. Even so, can we really complain about the defense? No team shuts everyone out every week.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanna know where the safety help is where is the design of the plays that keep putting Lewis in a position to be picked on?

But let's talk more about the lack of being able to stop the run once again and letting a team have a drive that was like what 14 plays they converted three fourth down plays I mean they had our defense on the field all game I'd hardly put that on Lewis...
Very VERY good points! Good post.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
everyone wants steak at every positon, some fans just assume all star players want to come to a crappy organization. Doesnt work that way. We might have to draft his replacement but i dont think hes the worst of the worst.