Jourdan Lewis is getting abused

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think this is the last year on his contract.
He had some ok plays, and also has had some bad plays, but they need to look to replace him via FA or the draft.

Bengals likes our cast offs. But they usually play decent there.
I could see us re-signing him for cheap. Most likely, Gilmore walks because he'll want more than we'll pay and we'll want to start Diggs and Bland. If he does, we still need Lewis even if we draft a corner, especially since we don't know how that corner will turn out. We could turn to FA to replace Lewis, but we know that Dallas' use of free agency is only signing cheap players. If we're going to go cheap, I'd rather stick with him.

Eric Scott is the question mark here. He showed some good things in camp, but wasn't near as good in the preseason games. Plus, I'm not sure we consider him a slot. Could move Bland into the slot in certain situations, though, if Scott can handle the outside. But we still need a fourth corner/depth even if that works. As has been pointed out in this thread, Lewis was the fourth corner this year and he's been playing a starting nickel role because of injury.

J-man

Reaction score
Huh, go figure, the guys on this team that are under performing the most and considered to be the "weakest links" are the guys who recently come back from major injuries that costs them a season. Lewis, Pollard, Steele and even Gallup is just now getting back into form.

I don't know why teams/fans count on these guys after such surgeries. All most always guys struggle to get back to form for at least a year+ before they are back to normal, or as close to it as they're going to get. This is always the case. No GM, coach or fan should think a player is going to come back and be fine the next year. If it happens, great, but no one should count on it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I wonder if fans of opposing teams call their CBs and safeties crap after giving up catches to Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Brooks, and Turpin. Are the Cowboy WRs good or is it just that the opposing CBs and safeties just stink?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The cream rises to the top. He's not really better or worse. He is what he is.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Feel like we're going to regret not moving on another slot corner and physical RB at the trade deadline as the season goes on, and the winning teams start surfacing on our schedule. Can't tell me teams aren't watching and scheming more on these weaknesses. Carolina makes me worry too that it's still very possible to run all day on us.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Lol, performing ok in a game where it was obvious he was being protected is a far cry from playing adequately long term. As per usual the coaches know best!
I stated, staff thinks Lewis is better though, isn’t that saying coaches know best? Do you have comprehension issues? LOL

If Lewis is our best option we better start protecting him! He is a serious liability. We need to start doubling the slot receiver.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
You mean like any 3rd or 4th guy in line? What are we talking about here? 4 pro bowler CBs on our roster? I mean Bland was supposed to be the slot guy. Once Diggs gets back...
Diggs isn’t playing… Bland is CB 1/2, therefore lewis is getting a lot of play time and he is getting roasted… therefore he is our weak link.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Remember Lewis isn't really built physically for the scheme Dan Quinn runs. And he was supposed to be CB4 this season with Diggs, Gilmore, and Bland the top three.

Bland has done an amazing job replacing Diggs as CB 1, but Lewis has not done very well replacing Bland as CB 3. It's not really his fault but this could be it for him in Dallas.

Rayman70

Reaction score
hes the weak link. I rather see Izzy M. out there instead.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Feel like we're going to regret not moving on another slot corner and physical RB at the trade deadline as the season goes on, and the winning teams start surfacing on our schedule. Can't tell me teams aren't watching and scheming more on these weaknesses. Carolina makes me worry too that it's still very possible to run all day on us.
You keep saying that but Rico dowdle is a very good running back if given more carries and if yesterday's run by Pollard doesn't tell you he can handle it we are getting better it was the offensive line and the play calling more than it was the players we have on the field you got that I mean are you not seeing what most of us can see?? We have the running backs we just need the offensive line to open up some holes consistently at least some resemblance of run blocking because they're not even pass blocking well they started this game it's like the fourth game in a row where they look really shaky to start and luckily they clean things up but the line has been the issue the play calling has been the issue in the run game I mean what's that nonsense with the Wildcat?? really dumb calling it the first tim....ond time and it loses even more yards??

And again people in here are overreacting to how our third corner who started out the season as our 4th corner has been playing when there isn't many players in this league that are good coming out of the third or fourth spot on any team can I be more clear on any team you're gonna have a weak point you acting like we can load up

which by the way didn't Philadelphia tried to fix their back end at the trade deadline and everyone was giving them credit for making the trade umm they still look bad on the back end you can't have that many good players it just isn't feasible... And by the way the way they talk about our pass rush as if it's the bad best pass rush in the entire league we shouldn't have to need a better slot corner getting abused is a bit much I think it's a bad choice of words he definitely is the weak spot but if they give him more help from the safeties and with our pass rush I think we're going to be fine....

So like I said before and after the trade line I'm gonna say it again there was not a need to go after another player because I don't think you're going to head got one that's any better than what we had...

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It hasn't been a great rebound year for Lewis. He's reacting a little slower and isn't showing the same closing speed to recover to defend. However, Wright and Igbin don't seem like they've earned anything. I am curious about Scott, but I think at this point the Cowboys will stick with the experienced Lewis.

As a side note we certainly pay attention to the negative plays, but he played 53 defensive snaps yesterday. I know he gave up catches to Thielen, but he's a pretty good receiver still. This is the 7th time this season Thielen grabbed 7 or more balls in a game so thats a lot of catches opposing corners have given up. I don't know how many times he was solely responsible for Thielen, but of all the snaps how many bad plays did Lewis actually have?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
He's done. CB version of La'el Collins. Had a few good seasons early on in his career but at this point, he's a complete shell of his old self. I knew this would be a problem once Diggs got hurt because Bland could do fine replacing him on the outside but the domino effect with Lewis replacing Bland in the slot would be a big downgrade!