Justin Jefferson/Vikings agree to 4 year/140m extension

Majic

Reaction score
$100-$105 million guaranteed for CD. He won't take a penny less.

John813

Reaction score
I mean he’s the best WR in the league.

Its not like he wasn’t going to get paid and took a “huge risk”.

It’s like Dak. If your team doesn’t want to pay you max $$$, cool. Somebody else will.

When I mean risk, it's suffering an Achilles tear, or a bad knee injury that takes out the ACL & MCL.
Bad concussion in his 4th year.
Would a team still pay him, hoping he rebound? Sure. But setting the bar at 35mil? Debatable.

If Dak leads the league in INTs next year, will he get another contract? Sure. Will it be top 3? Probably not.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Why would Lamb sign in February? What incentive did he have?
An agent in principle wants to get any contract done as soon as possible. This thought that the agent is just gonna wait until something develops is complete fan fiction. That only happens with players who feel they are not getting what they’re worth and want to have a big season to prove it. But with top end players, every agent wants to set the market as soon as they can. Offseason injury risks, player conduct risks, there are many reasons why agents will always push to get the contract done ASAP. Dallas is why this is dragging out.

The benefit of CD signing in February is he would have been the highest paid WR in NFL history for a few months at 31ish m$ a year. That is what every agent wants. It is more worthwhile to guarantee that early than to drag it out for a couple more million.

Adreme

Reaction score
When I mean risk, it's suffering an Achilles tear, or a bad knee injury that takes out the ACL & MCL.
Bad concussion in his 4th year.
Would a team still pay him, hoping he rebound? Sure. But setting the bar at 35mil? Debatable.

If Dak leads the league in INTs next year, will he get another contract? Sure. Will it be top 3? Probably not.
Almost certainly would be top 1. Let’s look at some of the best QBs to ever hit free agency. A 41 year old Brady, a 35 year old Manning who was just off major neck surgery and it was unclear how long he would last, a young Brees who just had major surgeon his throwing arm with fears he may never throw again, and Kirk Cousins.

Barring a major injury Dak would be the best QB in NFL history to hit free agency, without a major injury concern (or being one of the oldest starters in NFL history).

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The team that has won 3 SB's in the last 5 years decided to trade away the best receiver in football rather than go down a path like this.

Nothing against CD or players getting market value. Just saying you don't have to make everyone the highest paid to win championships. In fact, I could argue teams that have multiple highly paid players rarely accomplish the goal.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Those are some big numbers. I have no idea if Dallas gives him 35m per season. I wonder if they’d actually explore trade options for that kind of coin.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I’d imagine there was a collective sharting in the pants of front office personnel upon hearing this. Although, this should have been somewhat expected. How long now until JJ and Company are getting spammed by CD’s agent? The bar has been set so the timing is ideal for team CD to put the pressure on. It would be to their advantage to let everyone know the ball is clearly in the court of team Jones.

The ultimate question may be pushed to the forefront very soon. Can the Cowboys be competitive in this league while paying top dollar for individuals at three positions?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It happens almost every time. A non-Dallas player gets a contract. The reaction is that a Dallas player should not be compensated similarly based on the merit of their perceived level of play.

That is fine. However, practically no professional sports athlete's contract is based simply upon merit of their ability a.k.a. 'how good they are' in anyone's eyes. It is almost always how much the player is worth to the person paying them.

Buckle up. CeeDee is getting paid sooner or later. Some people are not going to enjoy the final numbers of his contract but that is a part of life too.

John813

Reaction score
Almost certainly would be top 1. Let’s look at some of the best QBs to ever hit free agency. A 41 year old Brady, a 35 year old Manning who was just off major neck surgery and it was unclear how long he would last, a young Brees who just had major surgeon his throwing arm with fears he may never throw again, and Kirk Cousins.

Barring a major injury Dak would be the best QB in NFL history to hit free agency, without a major injury concern (or being one of the oldest starters in NFL history).

I mean, per your list, it's Tom Brady who was the best QB to hit FA, age or not. He had zero signs of slowing down and is the GOAT. He wanted to go to a place to win over maxing out his deal.

Cousins is older, but has the same level stats as Dak.

Cousins since 2015(starter) has stats of 1.85 TDs per game and 268 ypg
Prescott since 2016 has stats of 1.77 TDs per game and 258 ypg.

We aren't talking about best QB or not. It's contract. If Dak struggles, per my post, yes he will still get paid. I don't think it would be as much as a top 3 deal.
Both at this time have had the same level of success. Can put up numbers, yet to do much in the postseason.

If you think Prescott, based off my hypothetical, would be the #1 paid QB over guys like Joe Burrows, then we will agree to disagree/wait and see.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just saw it on TV on FS1

That's 35 million a year, will CeeDee want equal or more?

AdminEdit: Thread is relevant to Cowboys because it will impact CeeDee Lamb's contract extension.
Well Jerry wanted to wait to see what others were getting. Now he knows. Sign Cee Dee please.

Loso86

Reaction score
Please stop look8ng at the overall numbers and reacting!. Most of these deals LOOK bigger than they actually are. Yes it's a lot of money but not as much as it seems. It's all in the BONUS and up front money

John813

Reaction score
Have to wonder how much this front office knew about rough numbers for Jefferson prior to the news breaking.
The bar was set years ago with Hill, and then AJ Brown reset it a month~ ago.
No way Jefferson was going to be near AJ Brown.
My thought is any holdup or not for CDL is over guarantees and how they become fully guaranteed.