Keep Garrett, fire Garrett's system

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I just dont see how a team can set the NFL record for the worst defense in the history of the league..................and the exact same coordinator is brought back the following year.

This is the Cowboys remember. They'll probably give him an extension.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Constant HC changes every 3-4 years signifies failure of a team, I don't like it. Yes JG has flaws, I like some of the traits from JG. I think JG is a good motivation, eloquently spoken, intelligent, and want the players who doesn't cause problems, and I like that he is giving rookies changes to showcase themselves and benches player when their head is not in the game.... but I cannot stand his mentality of play not to lose rather than play to win.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It just makes me wonder how it would work since the HC is always going to have gameplanning input. And if you have a HC that isn't fond of the system, then I think it's going to be an issue.

And he would likely be in charge of finding a new O-Coordinator. So if you 'fire the system', he's still the guy hiring the next guy to install their system.

I also have problems with the playcalling as much as anything. And we have a QB that loves to go into the shotgun and throw the ball anytime a team shows a blitz. And our HC does nothing to stop this. Why? Because he would rather just operate out of the shotgun and throw the ball every down.

I just don't know if keeping Garrett around, regardless of who is calling plays or what the scheme is around here is the answer.

YR

visionary

Reaction score
i dont see anything wrong with Garretts system

clap, clap, clap
move mic out of way
spit
move mic back
clap, clap, clap

rinse and repeat

throw in 'process' and 'stacking' and you are good to go

does it get any better than that?

visionary

Reaction score
A lame duck coach in the final year of his contract and he won't even have his own offensive system in place? Why bother? Just fire him if you are going to do that.

Like him or not, he has the right to control his own destiny.

He is already neutered by an overbearing Owner/GM, does everything need to be cut off?

easy, give him a 10 year extension (as many of our more knowledgeable board posters, esp one :), want to do) and you dont have that problem

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garrett has had plenty of time to show what he can do.

It doesn't take the stars perfectly aligning to win in this league. We see new coaches all of the time come in and have success. The process doesn't take forever like it is for Garrett.

At some point you have to say he just isn't good at his job. Especially in a season like this when we should've ran away with this division by now.

visionary

Reaction score
give garrett the current SF, seattle, patriots, or denver roster (of course the wild card there is peyton so thsi may not apply) and watch him sink every single one of those teams into the ground

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I don't think Kiffin gets fired. He might retire, but his defense is predicated on pass rushers and he wasn't dealt a full hand this year, and I think Garrett and Jones will keep that in consideration.

Would love to see Marinelli take over for him, though.

This will be the only reason Kiffin stays. The only well-known horse (that was healthy) going into the season was Ware and he pulled up lame. There was never a guarantee with Ratliff (injury), Hatcher (scheme), nor Spencer (injury). Even Crawford, being a 3rd round pick, was an unknown.

Granted, this defensive scheme lacks talent at other key positions but the d-line was supposed to be the strength of the D. If anything, the expectation was that they would be solid; adding a few more key pieces next year would make them very good. Alas, it all fell apart.

I think the entire offensive scheme needs to go. If Garrett stays then his system must go. Dallas has not been using its personnel well and something has to done about it. As someone else already mentioned, without Romo, this offense would truly be offensive.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Kiffin gets fired. He might retire, but his defense is predicated on pass rushers and he wasn't dealt a full hand this year, and I think Garrett and Jones will keep that in consideration.

Would love to see Marinelli take over for him, though.

I actually like having Marinelli full time on the DLine. Does Kiffin really do anything differently then Marinelli would do as D-Coordinator. I'm sure they work closely together on the game plan.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's so funny to me how some can't let go of Garrett, like we HAVE to keep him around in some capacity. Why wouldn't we just fire him and bring in someone better like every other team?

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
It's so funny to me how some can't let go of Garrett, like we HAVE to keep him around in some capacity. Why wouldn't we just fire him and bring in someone better like every other team?

That's because that makes too much sense & we all know the guy writing the checks has none.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That doesn't mean the offense is efficient. 35 of those points came from special teams and defense. Not counting the numerous times the offense was in great field position due to a turnover forced by the defense or Harris having a great punt return.

YR

Now you've gone and done it!

Another perfectly good agenda, ruined!

:mad:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett has had plenty of time to show what he can do.

It doesn't take the stars perfectly aligning to win in this league. We see new coaches all of the time come in and have success. The process doesn't take forever like it is for Garrett.

At some point you have to say he just isn't good at his job. Especially in a season like this when we should've ran away with this division by now.

On the nose.

And now folks propose keeping while taking away even more of his influence?!?!?

What's the point then?

He's already had the opportunity to hire his defensive guy - Rob Ryan and his 3-4 defense, and then he got a do-over and switched to Kiffin and his Tampa 2 defense (polar opposites).

He then brought in Bill Callahan and his West Coast philosophies and now that's not working.

It's like Jerry Jones Syndrome all over again.

How many times do you need to change all but one part, fail, and change them again before you realize that the one part you refuse to change is the part that most needs changing?

tantrix1969

Reaction score
That doesn't mean the offense is efficient. 35 of those points came from special teams and defense. Not counting the numerous times the offense was in great field position due to a turnover forced by the defense or Harris having a great punt return.

YR

QFT

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think it's because they - like Jerry - can't bear the thought that their dream of Garrett becoming the next Landry isn't going to happen.

And that is crystal clear by now to anyone taking their blinders off.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Garrett is a robot. I'm not feeding into The Ticket stereotype but it is true. He has a process. His offense and schemes are predictable. He gets out coached because he doesn't adjust and sticks to a gameplan, despite it not working. The Hallmark of Garrett teams the last 2 years has been the offense sputtering for 3 quarters and then turning it on. And yet he can't find an adjustment for that. The guy isn't HC material. Heck I don't even think he is OC material. The guy is a QB coach. I don't dislike him, I just don't think he has what it takes....so take him and his plan.