CFZ Kellen Moore and other fired Offensive coaches are blamed for failures last season, and the SF games

DandyDon52

Reaction score
People that get fired (or not extended) always take blame. That's life in any business or situation, not just with the Cowboys.

The fact that they didn't fire (or not extend) everyone doesn't mean everything is all on the ones that are gone, or that the team is saying it is. It just reflects the reality that a team can't afford to release everyone in every role that it would like to upgrade. It's just not possible to upgrade every role a team would like to all in one offseason.

Admittedly, some of the motivation is to show the fanbase the team is doing something to change things, but I don't think anyone said "now everything is fixed".
that is true, but I was going by what mike has said and dak said recently about every thing on offense will be better now.
That implies that the problem was with the guys they let go.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That's my point. So many drooling over Moore, trashing whoever for whatever narrative. But he made a parallel move.
The only possible coaches that can be hired with no delay are the coaches that are currently unemployed. If you are looking to "steal" away a coach from another NFL team, there are restrictions that limit what you can do. It's not as cut and dry as locating a candidate, offering him more money, and hiring him. If the coach is under contract with another NFL team there are rules that teams must follow.

* You can't hire a coach away from another team if it's a lateral move. You can only hire a contracted coach away if he'll receive a promotion.

You can't hire one team's offensive coordinator to be your offensive coordinator. If the Bears wanted to steal away a team's offensive coordinator, then he could only be hired as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
kellen is just OC, so dont know how they got that switch thru, guess he was unemployed.

also went to chargers forum, and 112 pages on kellen hire, they seem to be happy with the hire.
Also kellen and herbert knew each other they did a commercial together.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Let’s actually clarify one thing.

Moore wasn’t fired, he was leaving anyways. It was already being reported that he had the Chargers job (Lombardi was basically fired on the plane), but they were waiting for the Panthers interview for HC. He was actually called back for a second INT when going to the airport, but they settled on Reich who has a history with the Panthers.

Jerry already paid a lot of money to retain Moore and if they fired him, he would have been guaranteed a check and would have been hired by another team anyways.

Moore and Staley used to keep in touch often. Cowboys and Chargers did joint practices. Moore did a commercial with Herbert and were acquaintances, if not friends, apparently.

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2...kellen-moore-interview-offensive-coordinator/

I think some people forget that Kellen was basically forced on Mike. He was hired before Big Mike. Big Mike is an offensive coach who called his own plays in GB.

I thin Kellen is good for somebody with relatively little experience but it actually makes sense that Big Mike wants to run the offense given his own history and experience.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
kellen is just OC, so dont know how they got that switch thru, guess he was unemployed.

also went to chargers forum, and 112 pages on kellen hire, they seem to be happy with the hire.
Also kellen and herbert knew each other they did a commercial together.
Possible that the Jones' told Kellen they were letting him go but they'd let him find another team to 'save face' rather than fire him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Let’s not look at it as a bad thing for Moore though.. There was nothing left for him here, as the QB “peaked”. From an unbiased perspective, there is nothing in regards to Dak’s QB play where you can say this guy can take an offense to the next level. the fact he’s getting to work with Herbert is an OCs dream. The possibilities of the offense are limitless. San Diego has drafted another tall WR, with the 6’ 7” QB, meaning they are planning on playing on another vertical plane per reports.

Plus, Staley is on the hot seat anyways as his defense hasn’t been performing, meaning if he gets fired it won’t be a stretch to say Moore will be the next HC.
True.

Also, Dak hasn’t been to a Pro Bowl since 2018.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Kellen Moore will flourish with Herbert. His whole playback just opened up.

Calling plays for Dak is very difficult because he has distinct limitations that Herbert doesn't have.

McCarthy called plays for Farve and Rodgers. This is quite a different thing.
He also called plays for Grbak and Brooks.

I am curious what these distinct limitations are? He can throw the deep out. I've seen him go through reads on both sides of the field and back again.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
We had to give McCarthy a chance to prove himself as a play caller. Otherwise, why is he here? He doesn't have anything to do with the defense or special teams.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We had to give McCarthy a chance to prove himself as a play caller. Otherwise, why is he here? He doesn't have anything to do with the defense or special teams.
yes but what has he been doing the last 3 years??
The situation is one the jones boys created themselves by keeping kellen with full control over offense.
Now it is more normal, but no guarantee it will be better.
I am fine with the change, I just didnt like the things being said by mike and dak.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Dude, that is an out of control rant that was unnecessary, they're OR WE'RE are not blaming all of it on Kellen Moore and the older coaches, it no longer was a good fit.... I'm pretty sure that Prescott also mentioned the receivers basically saying the scheme didn't fit the receivers and they're trying to do different, not simplified per se, different.... you do realize that different coordinators have different schemes.

But here's an option for you just become a fan of the San Diego Chargers , go be a fan of Kellen Moore, Im sure he will appreciate it.

Lastly, you do realize sometimes you have to make changes, they've been using that same offense or at least a different version of it that the old coach who nobody wanted to here anymore and Jason Garrett, it's the same playbook, it had some changes and yes Kellen Moore did some good things with the passing game and yes a couple of times we were #1 in the league in yards or scoring or something here and there but really whenever we hear the talk about knowing things are coming from defenders and other head coaches,

I mean at that point don't you think it's time for a change... I mean I wouldn't call that blame, I would call that recognizing there's an issue and that there's no longer a fit for that scheme and you want to try something else..

Why is that a problem???? it was a mutual decision and it probably benefits both sides the way it went down and now we hope that the changes are positive for the Dallas Cowboys... I can care less what Kellen Moore does...

Lots of teams change coordinators without their head coaches, when I see that maybe a change could be beneficial, they make it who cares what's being said and who's being blamed literally why why does it matter to you so much I'm curious why does it bother you?

We all know some of the issues word because of the receivers most of them just didn't get it the old scheme the old passing game the read and react stuff was not working for them and it hurt the younger players last year sure when we had CD lamb Michael Gallup healthy with Cedric Wilson and amari Cooper and Jason Witten etcetera etcetera they could run that offense but again we made a lot of changes last year before the season lots of players on offense we're changed and it seemed to not work with with Kellen Moore was trying to do.

So literally as a giant group and the media and the fan base have blamed everyone Prescott, the receivers, OL, Kellen Moore oh and schultz in the SF game , glalup in the SF game, whoever was coming up with game plans for the run game, and they blamed it on injuries, and they blamed it on the GM for not realizing that what he brought in the wide receivers department wasn't enough,

so lot of people and things were blamed coaches, players ,the GM ,everyone... I don't know where you been but that I've seen or heard it it all..

I'm gonna say it one last time

why does it bother you so much if people want to use Kellen Moore as a scapegoat even though I know that's not 100% true because we're on this thing every day...

I also listen to all the sports shows., I listen to the radio sports shows ,and I read all the tweets and social media they're blaming just about everybody they can blame, as usual

but the one consensus thing we can admit and be on the same page about there was an issue and now they've made an effort to try to remedy this issue and now you get your own little rant because somehow it upsets you or offends you that Kellen Moore and the other staff was used as a scapegoat.

I don't see why that's an issue even if it were true which I suggest it's not true.
Changes were necessary and they were made regardless of what cost us a playoff run...
Talk about a Rant . . . geez

blueblood70

Reaction score
that is true, but I was going by what mike has said and dak said recently about every thing on offense will be better now.
That implies that the problem was with the guys they let go.
No it doesn't imply only that,

you do realize we'll have a healthier Michael Gallup, we'll also have Brandin cooks and they've made other changes cutting zeke going with running back by committee ,with maybe faster fresher backs, another year under his belt for tolbert,

I mean they're looking at the big picture and going we look like we're going to improve from last year's start where we had Noah brown as the number two wide receiver after cutting a bunch of players off the offense.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What is surprising? Everywhere I've ever worked, it was understood that folks that left could & would be blamed for pretty much everything for roughly 6 months.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what I am seeing, is that Kellen and the fired coaches who went 12-5 2 seasons in a row,
are the scape goats for the 2 SF losses, and in general for not doing better during the season.
No one else is at fault, just those that were let go.

The odd thing is that Mike who defended the last play in SF wildcard game, said it was the right call, and that
they had practiced it all week.
The SF game this last time the last play was even worse, and I cant believe mike had nothing to do with that play
and its design, as he was supposed to help kellen in 22.

Teams lose games, and I didnt care for kellen's play calling or designs that much, but they were a top ranked offense
and wound up 12-5 2 years in a row.

Now mike has simplified the routes and plays, and they have had 1 practice session in ota's.
I dont think that could possibly be enough to having the guys run perfect routes the way they are supposed to be run
and dak get the ball to them perfectly.
Dak has said no more tipped balls lol, well that is something you just cant predict, or avoid, you can lessen the chance though.
Mike said they would run more once early on but nothing more on that.

But it appears that the team ( Jones boys,Mike, and now dak) blamed it all on kellen and the coaches that were fired,and now everything is "fixed"
Mike has complete control of offense now, which is the way it should be, so just have to wait and see what the results are.
And we have to wait until playoffs to truly know if the team is " fixed" or not.
I have not seen anybody connected with the team blame K. Moore.

Moore wanted to leave because the Chargers wanted him.

Chargers Head Coach has a defensive background. That's a better opportunity for a young OC than working under a Head Coach with an offensive background.

The issue for the Cowboys was a lack of coordination between offensive coaches. OC, WR Coach, RB coach and OL coach.

Big_D

Reaction score
Really another Jerry setup that didn't workout. You keep a holdover and it pits the OC vs the HC. Same thing with Garrett and Phillips. That's a problem when the HC isn't picking his staff and the GM micromanages ever single aspect. Then he looks to point the finger when things go awry.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Moore left for a promotion.

The Dallas OC gig is a pretty good one. He was earning a lot of money and having a lot of success. But coaching a Justin Herbert MVP-level campaign would be the kind of profile raiser he couldn't get here.

KM had reached his ceiling in Dallas. He'd coached two top-five offenses, but still had no road forward through McCarthy while Dallas won 10+ games.