RELEASED Kellen Moore won't return

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
What did Moore do wrong ? I’ll hang up and listen …

The Cowboys finished fourth in the NFL in scoring during the regular season with an average of 27.5 points. They did this even though Prescott missed five games with a broken thumb on his throwing hand.

Dallas led the league in scoring the previous year with an average of 31.2 points, scoring a franchise record 530 points.
12 points in a playoff game that would have sent the team to the NFCCG when the defense allowed only 19 points.

Unacceptable.

Either the QB or the OC had to go, cant bring both back after such an embarrassing performance................Moore is not making $40 mill a season, so he is the logical choice to go.

Now you can agree or disagree with the decision, but that is the decision that was made nonetheless.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The Cowboys finished fourth in the NFL in scoring during the regular season with an average of 27.5 points. They did this even though Prescott missed five games with a broken thumb on his throwing hand.

Dallas led the league in scoring the previous year with an average of 31.2 points, scoring a franchise record 530 points.
What did this vaunted offense score against the 49ers, you know, the team Philly just dropped 31 on?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Why? We're either going to be a playoff team again or 5-11. I'm good with it
Exactly...............its a win win situation.

If this works out and fixes Dak, then we have a strong chance to make a deep playoff run next season.

If this blows up and we are 5-11, then we will have a top 10 pick to draft our next QB with.

I'm good either way:thumbup:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You think Kellen knew if he lost his time was over?
The defense played their balls off and the offense chit the bed.

I think Wonder Boy knew he was gone, especially after Parsons basically said the offense lost the game.

Add to that the comment by Fat Mike that "we are still evaluating the OC position" when asked if Moore was coming back next year and it was crystal clear the dude was gone.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
We are finally going to use one of Mike's strengths, playcalling. It appears to me that Mike has more power than I thought. It gives me some hope for the future.

Moore could not have been that bad with the numbers that were put up under his reign. I still think he's a sharp young mind, but something wasn't meshing here. I do believe he will have success somewhere.

It gives me hope going into next season knowing Mike has more power. I think this year will be make or break for someone, let's see who.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
$40 million is going to make the owners give one more year to Dak with MM to see if it can work.
Exactly.............all of these guys in this thread saying "the wrong person got fired, it should have been Dak" apparently are not aware of this thing called the salary cap.

We cant get rid of Dak, we cant take a $50 million dollar cap hit.............this is not that hard to understand.

So next best thing is fire the offensive coaching staff, including the OC, and see if a fresh slate of coaches can fix Dak. Maybe they can and maybe they cant, we will see.

If the offense still struggles, even under new coaches, then in a year or two we can then move on from Dak when we financially are able to. Like I said, its not that hard to understand what they are doing or why they are doing it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This may or may not change anything but the most important thing to me was to get KM out of Dallas. It kept me up at night thinking he would be another head coach in training soon :muttley:

This is a good thing, maybe new offensive ideas and scheme(better be different) will be able to salvage Dak. If it fails MM and Dak can’t hide from it anymore. Who knows, maybe Payton sits out this season and he becomes the next HC like many want.

One thing was clear, our QB and OC wasn’t going to run the playoff gauntlet together.
Excellent points:thumbup:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

So, from 2006-2014 MM called the plays in Green Bay

In those 9 seasons, the Packer's offense was top 10 in points scored all but one year (2006 his first yr) and top 10 in yardage all but one season (2012)

So, for all those saying MM sucks at play calling, please explain what you are basing this on because the stats don't show it.

csirl

Reaction score
I we sure he was fired? Mutual consent could also be that KM has another OC job lined up and asked to go. If he gers hired in the current cycle of changes, we'll know the answer..

McCarthy will be calling the plays = We've been caught out by this unexpected departure. In todays NFL, teams dont go with no OC.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
40 pages lol, can't read 'em all. So this probably has been said already:

At first I was like "classical scapegoat, wrong person leaves". But since Dak has a no trade clause and we could'nt handle the cap impact by releasing him, this is the only way. There had to be change, and at least we'll see, if another OC can "cure" Dak or if he just can't.

BUT: one thing is as certain as the runs after a nice Chili: If it doesn't work out, the Dak homers will blame it all on the new OC.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I'm assuming this doesn't apply to QBs.
It does. I've known who Dak is for a while. His contract suggests the front office does not. Their is no salary cap on coaches, so you can get rid of them. I would not push any money owed Dak into the future. There are a couple of QBs who are worth 40m+ per year, meaning they can carry a roster. Dak is not one of them. And the chances of finding one are slim. I would start the process of building a coaching staff and roster that does not need a 50m QB to win.

In the meantime, you have Dak for 2 more years. I would strengthen the defense and add the pieces to strengthen the running game. Dak cannot carry a team for 3 playoff games plus a Super Bowl. No shame in that, many cannot. But I have seen enough. I would not invest in pieces that would make Dak successful throwing the ball around 45+ times a game.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man if Moore lights it up with Hebert and they make a deep playoff run it's gonna be another nail in the Dak coffin. He'll be fighting perception not just from the Cowboys but from the league in general.

I know he gets paid generational money (good for him) but the immense pressure he will be under next year could break him, especially when the boos start, and make no mistake...they are coming.
Kellen isn't flying to LA he's doing cartwheels
I mean this is my own conspiracy theory but I believe Jerry has seen enough of Dak and Mike and both will have short leashes. With Quinn waiting. I'm hoping we draft a serious contender at QB. It's about time we take a shot, 28 years says so.

FTWayne

Reaction score
Dang, not many guys or coach's will survive the Dak excuses. Mike and the new OC will be the excuse next season. Oh well, it is what it is.

DStar22

Reaction score
Exactly.............all of these guys in this thread saying "the wrong person got fired, it should have been Dak" apparently are not aware of this thing called the salary cap.

We cant get rid of Dak, we cant take a $50 million dollar cap hit.............this is not that hard to understand.

So next best thing is fire the offensive coaching staff, including the OC, and see if a fresh slate of coaches can fix Dak. Maybe they can and maybe they cant, we will see.

If the offense still struggles, even under new coaches, then in a year or two we can then move on from Dak when we financially are able to. Like I said, its not that hard to understand what they are doing or why they are doing it.
we understand WHY they are doing it, just that it is stupid they had to get into a position of doing it this way.

the fact is we had a top 5 offense that, without the league high INT rate and bad decision making by the QB and accuracy problems could have won a SB this year.

now, no matter what , for better or worse, the wrong piece of the puzzle is gone and it may be another long time before we get that again.

and why couldnt we take out the thign that was most problematic about this offense? because Jerry paid him too much damn money and locked us into nightmare contract, thats why.

hope we all are happy 5 years down the road when we have been completely mediocre again for the next 5 and either lost or wasted parsons career.

if you actually want to have a great football organization , you can;t get rid of the people making it happen, you have to get rid of the people causing the problems and get better.

I actually hope I am wrong, but for now that is the way I see it.

Last edited:

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I wonder if Moore realized this is a dead end job and asked to be let out of his contract so he could work with a QB who has normal tools?