Kiper's Grade A draft

Verdict

Reaction score
I figured you were co-signing Risen's post about wiping out our draft picks for Baker.

No. I said I think he is a stud and I would love to land him. That's all. I have been saying that since day one.

If Mayfield were to somehow miraculously fall all the way to us (like Rogers) or fall very close (where maybe we could give up a 4th to go up and get him) we should do that, even if Dak is perceived to be the real deal.

He would be the best player on our board by a long shot. You don't pass up on talent like that even if you already have one at the position.

After that I would get a guard, and a linebacker with two of the next 3 picks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't think Witten and Ricco can hold down the fort another year?

I do.

To say nothing of the fact that the team currently has 5 tight ends on the roster. I'd sure make sure of what I had in those guys before I made a substantial investment in another player and certainly pushed one of them off the roster in the process.

Verdict

Reaction score
I do.

To say nothing of the fact that the team currently has 5 tight ends on the roster. I'd sure make sure of what I had in those guys before I made a substantial investment in another player and certainly pushed one of them off the roster in the process.

I would sure like to see Witten retire before this season starts. He is way too ineffective.

We can keep Witten or Dez but keeping both is a real handicap for this offense to overcome.

Johnny23

Reaction score
No. I said I think he is a stud and I would love to land him. That's all. I have been saying that since day one.

If Mayfield were to somehow miraculously fall all the way to us (like Rogers) or fall very close (where maybe we could give up a 4th to go up and get him) we should do that, even if Dak is perceived to be the real deal.

He would be the best player on our board by a long shot. You don't pass up on talent like that even if you already have one at the position.

After that I would get a guard, and a linebacker with two of the next 3 picks.
I don't agree with your assessment of his skill set as a player.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would sure like to see Witten retire before this season starts. He is way too ineffective.

We can keep Witten or Dez but keeping both is a real handicap for this offense to overcome.

They need to stop overplaying Witten, that much is certain.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right the guy takes 95+ percent of snaps. I just don't want to spend a pick on a te if that doesn't change.

I feel that it needs to change regardless. Whether it's finding out what they have in the four other guys on the roster, or actually getting some playing time for Switzer, Witten's snap counts have to come down significantly.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I feel that it needs to change regardless. Whether it's finding out what they have in the four other guys on the roster, or actually getting some playing time for Switzer, Witten's snap counts have to come down significantly.
agreed. Something that has bothered me for a while. If we could get his snap count in the 50s that would be great.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The tight ends on this roster are garbage. Witten is not a good player anymore. Gathers shouldn't be taken seriously until he does something in a meaningful football game over the last 10 years. Hanna, Swaim, Jarwin, give me a break.

You can have those 5 tight ends. I'll take 1 real tight end.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey the Cowboys have 5 tight ends on the roster. So they're good.

Draft another one in the second round that they won't use *******.

Despite the fact that you've never given any of the other four guys on your roster a significant opportunity to show what they can do.

But hey, Gisecki runs fast!

Great use of resources.

But hey, Mel Kiper said it, so it must be right...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The tight ends on this roster are garbage. Witten is not a good player anymore. Gathers shouldn't be taken seriously until he does something in a meaningful football game over the last 10 years. Hanna, Swaim, Jarwin, give me a break.

You can have those 5 tight ends. I'll take 1 real tight end.

And who's that? The guy who "runs fast" and "can't block"?

Glad it's not your call.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Draft another one in the second round that they won't use *******.

Despite the fact that you've never given any of the other four guys on your roster a significant opportunity to show what they can do.

But hey, Gisecki runs fast!

Great use of resources.

But hey, Mel Kiper said it, so it must be right...

Witten wasn't 35 years old when those others were drafted.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And who's that? The guy who "runs fast" and "can't block"?

Glad it's not your call.

You are having a Jerry Jones like offseason.

Check the roster numbers for me by position and let me know where we have room to draft.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten wasn't 35 years old when those others were drafted.

But he's still here and still playing and will still get the lion's share of the snaps. You know it and I know it. Nobody's saying it's right, but we both know it will happen.

Using a premium draft pick on yet another guy who won't play enough to give the proper return on investment will be the same mistake that Fasano, Bennett, and Escobar all were.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are having a Jerry Jones like offseason.

Like you and your "snark" is batting 1.000....

Yeah, Baker Mayfield...

:facepalm:

Check the roster numbers for me by position and let me know where we have room to draft.

Start with a position where they didn't keep 5 guys around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you know Jason Witten entered the league with "can't block" attached to his name? That's why he was there in the 3rd round.

It's called drafting talent and then cultivating it.

Like they "cultivated" a "talent" like Escobar, right?