Kiper's Grade A draft

visionary

Reaction score
Risen Star's Grade A draft....

Round 1 (6): Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
Round 2 (50): Traded for Baker Mayfield
Round 3 (81): Traded for Baker Mayfield

Baker Mayfield under Jerry the ultimate enabler and a HC that is an incompetent puppet is a disaster waiting to happen

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But he's still here and still playing and will still get the lion's share of the snaps. You know it and I know it. Nobody's saying it's right, but we both know it will happen.

Using a premium draft pick on yet another guy who won't play enough to give the proper return on investment will be the same mistake that Fasano, Bennett, and Escobar all were.

A player isn't eligible for UFA until he's accrued 4 years in the league. Jason Witten will not be the starting TE here at 39 years old.

Meaning that rookie will have every opportunity to start here before he could leave.

Maybe the problem is you see the draft as a quick immediate fix rather than building for the future.

Western

Reaction score
Smart picks by Kiper.
Draft the best player available at the selection.
Gisecki -- excellent pass catcher, & has ball skills which can over match linebackers and safeties.
His ceiling is much higher than any TE on the roster.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like they "cultivated" a "talent" like Escobar, right?

I see. So then the Cowboys should avoid drafting a player at a position they previously failed at.

Might as well trade all our picks away under that highly intelligent thought process.

Oh, and again, Jason Witten wasn't 35 years old when Escobar was drafted. As hard as you try to make it the same situation it isn't.

visionary

Reaction score
I'll take that draft
Though if we can get Reid/Bates in rd 2 instead that would be great

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A player isn't eligible for UFA until he's accrued 4 years in the league. Jason Witten will not be the starting TE here at 39 years old.

Meaning that rookie will have every opportunity to start here before he could leave.

So Gathers and Blake Jarwin are "bums" after a year, having no opportunities to prove otherwise, but your prized draft pick gets "4 years" of investment before they should be expected to show returns?

Your double-standards here are crystal clear.

Maybe the problem here is you see the draft as a quick immediate fix rather than building for the future.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I see it as getting cheap contributions before you have to pay premium money too?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see. So then the Cowboys should avoid drafting a player at a position they previously failed at.

Might as well trade all our picks away under that highly intelligent thought process.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool you more times that than, and you're a moron. The fact is that you're not getting the proper draft return on any significant investment as long as Jason Witten is here getting the lion's share of TE work. If he retires after this season? That's the time to start looking. Not using another second round pick to have yet another guy not utilized.

Oh, and again, Jason Witten wasn't 35 years old when Escobar was drafted. As hard as you try to make it the same situation it isn't.

And as much as you want to bring up his age as if that suddenly means they'll pull the plug and sit him doesn't make it so. Not by a long shot.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Gathers and Blake Jarwin are "bums" after a year, having no opportunities to prove otherwise, but your prized draft pick gets "4 years" of investment before they should be expected to show returns?

Your double-standards here are crystal clear.

Maybe I see it as getting cheap contributions before you have to pay premium money too?

Yes. An undrafted free agent and a guy who last played a meaningful game of football in junior high aren't enough for me to ignore the obvious clear need of a new starting TE.

Premium money? A 2nd round pick under the rookie wage scale? That's not big money. That's actually how you manage your cap effectively rather than going out and signing a veteran.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. An undrafted free agent and a guy who last played a meaningful game of football in junior high aren't enough for me to ignore the obvious clear need of a new starting TE.

And your claim is a false one. You know it and I know it. Jason Witten is this team's "starting tight end" for 2018 at a minimum. If that changes in 2019? Then get back to me.

Premium money? A 2nd round pick under the rookie wage scale? That's not big money. That's actually how you manage your cap effectively rather than going out and signing a veteran.

The "premium money" refers to after those four years. The four years when you got nothing on your initial investment.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool you more times that than, and you're a moron. The fact is that you're not getting the proper draft return on any significant investment as long as Jason Witten is here getting the lion's share of TE work. If he retires after this season? That's the time to start looking. Not using another second round pick to have yet another guy not utilized.

And as much as you want to bring up his age as if that suddenly means they'll pull the plug and sit him doesn't make it so. Not by a long shot.

So he actually believes a TE drafted this year will be buried in the depth chart his entire rookie contract because of Jason Witten.

So Jason Witten will be the starting TE in Dallas at 39 years old.

This is his thought process.

Oh and we can't draft a TE because look at what happened with Escobar.

Of course QB is out too because of Quincy Carter.

Nope can't do RB. Julius Jones.

WR? Does Alexander Wright ring a bell?

I don't know why you guys want an offensive lineman drafted after that Al Johnson pick. Plus we have like a dozen of them on the roster already.

Etc.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And your claim is a false one. You know it and I know it. Jason Witten is this team's "starting tight end" for 2018 at a minimum. If that changes in 2019? Then get back to me.

I see. So no foresight. No vision. No plan for the future. Only react once the problem surfaces.

Jerry would be proud.

Btw, this is the NFL Draft not free agency. Look it up. Study it. Because you obviously have no clue right now.

The "premium money" refers to after those four years. The four years when you got nothing on your initial investment.

Yes, because that rookie is still on the bench watching a near 40 year old Witten on the field. I forgot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So he actually believes a TE drafted this year will be buried in the depth chart his entire rookie contract because of Jason Witten.

So Jason Witten will be the starting TE in Dallas at 39 years old.

This is his thought process.

You don't get to make false claims about my "thought process". My position is that any tight end drafted this year won't get the opportunity to show a proper return on investment. For this year at a minimum, possibly even longer. As long as Jason Witten is here. Just like has happened for all of the wasted second round TE's previously. Not because they couldn't play, but because they didn't play.

Try to deny it as fact.

Oh and we can't draft a TE because look at what happened with Escobar.

Of course QB is out too because of Quincy Carter.

Nope can't do RB. Julius Jones.

WR? Does Alexander Wright ring a bell?

I don't know why you guys want an offensive lineman drafted after that Al Johnson pick. Plus we have like a dozen of them on the roster already.

Etc.

Reductio ad absurdum.

That's what you're now reduced to?

You should just "stick to your schtick". Intelligent debate is obviously not your thing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see. So no foresight. No vision. No plan for the future. Only react once the problem surfaces.

Jerry would be proud.

Btw, this is the NFL Draft not free agency. Look it up. Study it. Because you obviously have no clue right now.

No clue? I'm not the guy campaigning for quarterbacks and TE's to sit on the bench. Here's a quarter, go buy yourself a clue.

Yes, because that rookie is still on the bench watching a near 40 year old Witten on the field. I forgot.

At a minimum, he's not helping this team do anything in 2018, and possibly beyond.

I've already had my fill of second round picks not helping this team at all for several years, or never. But sure, you go ahead and think "big picture"...

Sydla

Reaction score
You don't think Witten and Ricco can hold down the fort another year?

Witten is what he is. Solid. Nothing more at this point. Gathers is a complete unknown at this point. I've been bullish on his skill set but he's proven zero and I think banking on him at this point is a risk.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Not a bad draft for the Cowboys, but in his 2 round mock draft Kiper had the Steelers taking Calvin Ridley in the 1st round. So I'd have to see who he picked in this mock for the Steelers to see if he's still suffering from brain damage before I place any faith in his projections.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
The tight ends on this roster are garbage. Witten is not a good player anymore. Gathers shouldn't be taken seriously until he does something in a meaningful football game over the last 10 years. Hanna, Swaim, Jarwin, give me a break.

You can have those 5 tight ends. I'll take 1 real tight end.
Another one for the archive. And how would, especially you, know anything about our tight ends. They never play.

Jarwin was put on the 53 because Philly wanted to sign him. He just needs to bulk up about 10 lbs. Witten is high on him.

Hanna is our best blocker and most athletic guy, yet he is given 5 pass plays a year.

Swaim is not exceptional, but there are far worse.

Rico is a wild card. I don't think he makes it personally. He just doesn't have the head for it. But if he can, he has Bennett type upside.

I know your MO is Mr Extremist, but you have zero credibility because of it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Another one for the archive. And how would, especially you, know anything about our tight ends. They never play.

Jarwin was put on the 53 because Philly wanted to sign him. He just needs to bulk up about 10 lbs. Witten is high on him.

Hanna is our best blocker and most athletic guy, yet he is given 5 pass plays a year.

Swaim is not exceptional, but there are far worse.

Rico is a wild card. I don't think he makes it personally. He just doesn't have the head for it. But if he can, he has Bennett type upside.

I know your MO is Mr Extremist, but you have zero credibility because of it.

I hope you aren't holding out hope Jarwin and Hanna are some really good TEs just held back by lack of playing time.

Gathers is the one guy on the roster with the potential to actually be a big time TE. And you don't think he'll make it, so you should probably be in the camp that we need to add some legit TE talent here at some point.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
The tight ends on this roster are garbage. Witten is not a good player anymore. Gathers shouldn't be taken seriously until he does something in a meaningful football game over the last 10 years. Hanna, Swaim, Jarwin, give me a break.

You can have those 5 tight ends. I'll take 1 real tight end.
I thought Swaim was going to be the 2nd coming...