Kiper's Grade A draft

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I hope you aren't holding out hope Jarwin and Hanna are some really good TEs just held back by lack of playing time.

Gathers is the one guy on the roster with the potential to actually be a big time TE. And you don't think he'll make it, so you should probably be in the camp that we need to add some legit TE talent here at some point.
Jarwin was a rookie. But he has the athleticism you want. I think they are pretty high on him.

Hanna is an enigma. Seems to make plays in the very limited times he actually runs a route.

I don't know just how good these guys could be. They never play because Witten doesn't allow it.

But the fact that Hanna was not released should say something. I just hope we turn the page from Witten this year and see what we have.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jarwin was a rookie. But he has the athleticism you want. I think they are pretty high on him.

Hanna is an enigma. Seems to make plays in the very limited times he actually runs a route.

I don't know just how good these guys could be. They never play because Witten doesn't allow it.

But the fact that Hanna was not released should say something. I just hope we turn the page from Witten this year and see what we have.

Hanna not being released tells me they likely overvalue what they have at TE.

Jarwin was a UDFA. The chances he's some great TE in the making are beyond slim.

There is no question that if a stud TE is sitting there and he's one of the best players on our board at that pick, they should consider taking that TE. He'd arguably be the most talented TE on our roster right from the start.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope you aren't holding out hope Jarwin and Hanna are some really good TEs just held back by lack of playing time.

Like myself, he's saying that he doesn't know. And neither do any of us. Not fo Hanna at this point, but it's certainly true that the guy sees very few opportunities. As does anyone not named Witten.

Gathers is the one guy on the roster with the potential to actually be a big time TE. And you don't think he'll make it, so you should probably be in the camp that we need to add some legit TE talent here at some point.

Why would they be "legit"? Because they're drafted this year? What are the qualifications to be "legit"? Was Escobar "legit"?

Sydla

Reaction score
Like myself, he's saying that he doesn't know. And neither do any of us. Not fo Hanna at this point, but it's certainly true that the guy sees very few opportunities. As does anyone not named Witten.

Why would they be "legit"? Because they're drafted this year? What are the qualifications to be "legit"? Was Escobar "legit"?

Going by scouting reports and what people think are the legit TEs in this class. Just because Escobar bombed out doesn't mean we should never really look to draft a TE high again.

And yeah, I think it's foolish holding out hope that Hanna and Jarwin are actually really, really good TEs held back by the fact Witten plays a majority of the snaps. You can get a pretty good idea on guys based on limited PT, practice reports, etc.

But using your logic, do you also hold out hope Marquez White might be a good CB and Noah Brown is a good WR simply because you don't even know about each guy because they don't play a lot? Or do you think yeah, those guys are probably nothing more than depth guys at best.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going by scouting reports and what people think are the legit TEs in this class. Just because Escobar bombed out doesn't mean we should never really look to draft a TE high again.

No, Witten still being here does. Until that changes, you'll never get the return on investment from the guy you drafted. The higher the pick, the bigger a waste it will be.

This team has bigger needs to fill by guys who will see the field.

And yeah, I think it's foolish holding out hope that Hanna and Jarwin are actually really, really good TEs held back by the fact Witten plays a majority of the snaps. You can get a pretty good idea on guys based on limited PT, practice reports, etc.

And what have you read or seen that says either guy can't play?

But using your logic, do you also hold out hope Marquez White might be a good CB and Noah Brown is a good WR simply because you don't even know about each guy because they don't play a lot? Or do you think yeah, those guys are probably nothing more than depth guys at best.

I'm not making any absolute claims either way based on a complete lack of information. That's the point.

Under those same conditions, Escobar should be great because Dallas used a 2nd round pick. All evidence to the contrary. The point is that no absolute decisions can be made either way.

And all of them take a backseat as long as Witten is still here. And as long as that the case, I'm not "wasting" a premium draft pick for a guy who won't play.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Not a bad first three rounds. I like all three players.

Evans is a very solid player but he doesn’t excite like R Smith would for me. Like him better than LVE though.

Gesicki is a player that could cause real problems for a defense if he’s used correctly. Historically, that’s been a big IF though.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can someone please post Kiper's entire 1st round here?

Sydla

Reaction score
No, Witten still being here does. Until that changes, you'll never get the return on investment from the guy you drafted. The higher the pick, the bigger a waste it will be.

This team has bigger needs to fill by guys who will see the field.

And what have you read or seen that says either guy can't play?

I'm not making any absolute claims either way based on a complete lack of information. That's the point.

Under those same conditions, Escobar should be great because Dallas used a 2nd round pick. All evidence to the contrary. The point is that no absolute decisions can be made either way.

And all of them take a backseat as long as Witten is still here. And as long as that the case, I'm not "wasting" a premium draft pick for a guy who won't play.

Witten is likely here for one more year. You have no idea if you'll be presented with an opportunity to draft a top rated TE in 2019. So if the opportunity presents itself this year in this draft and he's the BPA on your board, you should consider taking him. Given who they are counting on at QB, a quality top notch TE is going to be an important piece for this team going forward.

No, you shouldn't assume Escobar should be great because he was a 2nd round pick. But the reality is that guys in Jarwin's and Hanna's position typically don't suddenly turn into great players. They are depth guys. Plain and simple. Nothing wrong with that. You need guys like that. But expecting or thinking that, you know what, we don't need to draft a legit TE prospect because Jarwin or Hanna could be that guy after Witten leaves shortly is some rather foolish thinking IMO.

In other words, let's say Gesicki is the clear BPA on the Cowboys draft board at their 2nd pick. At no point should the logic be, "Well, Jarwin and Hanna might develop into really good TEs, so let's not take a guy we think is the best player at this spot in the draft."

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten is likely here for one more year. You have no idea if you'll be presented with an opportunity to draft a top rated TE in 2019. So if the opportunity presents itself this year in this draft and he's the BPA on your board, you should consider taking him. Given who they are counting on at QB, a quality top notch TE is going to be an important piece for this team going forward.

So you're claiming that the well runs dry at TE this year? Nobody in the pipeline next draft? I was not aware of the huge shortage.

No, you shouldn't assume Escobar should be great because he was a 2nd round pick. But the reality is that guys in Jarwin's and Hanna's position typically don't suddenly turn into great players. They are depth guys. Plain and simple. Nothing wrong with that. You need guys like that. But expecting or thinking that, you know what, we don't need to draft a legit TE prospect because Jarwin or Hanna could be that guy after Witten leaves shortly is some rather foolish thinking IMO.

"Foolish thinking" is drafting a guy we all know isn't playing or contributing in 2018. And possibly even longer. I'll see what I have and fill needs with guys who will play first.

In other words, let's say Gesicki is the clear BPA on the Cowboys draft board at their 2nd pick. At no point should the logic be, "Well, Jarwin and Hanna might develop into really good TEs, so let's not take a guy we think is the best player at this spot in the draft."

No, "logic" should tell you that Gesicki will barely play. And that Tim Settle or Hernandez or Wynn will.

Sydla

Reaction score
So you're claiming that the well runs dry at TE this year? Nobody in the pipeline next draft? I was not aware of the huge shortage.

"Foolish thinking" is drafting a guy we all know isn't playing or contributing in 2018. And possibly even longer. I'll see what I have and fill needs with guys who will play first.

No, "logic" should tell you that Gesicki will barely play. And that Tim Settle or Hernandez or Wynn will.

No I am claiming that the logic of "well, I'll just grab a top TE next year" could be foolish because you have no idea who or how a draft board will break. Drafts usually aren't chock full of quality TEs like other positions.

Your last sentence sums up my issue. You are putting conditions in place in order to not draft what would possibly be the best player on your board, whether that be you think Jarwin/Hanna might be studs in waiting or the fact Witten plays the majority of the snaps. When it gets to that point, there's a problem.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I am claiming that the logic of "well, I'll just grab a top TE next year" could be foolish because you have no idea who or how a draft board will break. Drafts usually aren't chock full of quality TEs like other positions.

So are you now trying to claim that TE is some premium position that you have to fill with a 2nd round pick or higher?

Your last sentence sums up my issue. You are putting conditions in place in order to not draft what would possibly be the best player on your board, whether that be you think Jarwin/Hanna might be studs in waiting or the fact Witten plays the majority of the snaps. When it gets to that point, there's a problem.

There an even bigger "problem" when you continue to draft players you can't, won't, or don't play.

And until Witten is gone, that's exactly what any TE drafted will be. Like Fasano was, like Bennett was, and like Escobar was. I'm not endorsing that fact, I'm simply pointing out that it is undeniably true.

This team has bigger needs right now than what would be a second banana TE.

Sydla

Reaction score
So are you now trying to claim that TE is some premium position that you have to fill with a 2nd round pick or higher?

There an even bigger "problem" when you continue to draft players you can't, won't, or don't play.

And until Witten is gone, that's exactly what any TE drafted will be. Like Fasano was, like Bennett was, and like Escobar was. I'm not endorsing that fact, I'm simply pointing out that it is undeniably true.

This team has bigger needs right now than what would be a second banana TE.

The problem with the Bennett and Fasano and even Escobar commentary is that at that time, Witten didn't really have a shelf life, especially with Bennett and Fasano. He has a clear shelf life now. He can't play forever. So the comparison to previous years doesn't necessarily work.

And I am saying that TE is a premium position, especially for a team that has claimed it wants to be more Dak "friendly" on offense, where if the opportunity presents itself this year to grab one of the top 2-3 TEs in this draft and that player is the best player on the board, then you should take the TE.

Of course, if in the 2nd round you have a handful of guys that are ranked similar on your board, you take a more specific need. But if the draft breaks down where you are sitting at 50 and the TE sitting there is your clear BPA on the board (like if the kid from NDSU had a first round grade on him by Dallas and he's sitting there at 50) you should strongly consider taking the TE.

The fact Dallas probably wouldn't highlights their flawed thinking when it comes to the draft.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with the Bennett and Fasano and even Escobar commentary is that at that time, Witten didn't really have a shelf life, especially with Bennett and Fasano. He has a clear shelf life now. He can't play forever. So the comparison to previous years doesn't necessarily work.

I'll concede that, but what also "doesn't work" is trying to forecast how much time Witten does have left. He's certainly closer to the end, but that end could be one year, two years, or even three years. Nobody can say with any degree of certainty.

And I am saying that TE is a premium position, especially for a team that has claimed it wants to be more Dak "friendly" on offense, where if the opportunity presents itself this year to grab one of the top 2-3 TEs in this draft and that player is the best player on the board, then you should take the TE.

Of course, if in the 2nd round you have a handful of guys that are ranked similar on your board, you take a more specific need. But if the draft breaks down where you are sitting at 50 and the TE sitting there is your clear BPA on the board (like if the kid from NDSU had a first round grade on him by Dallas and he's sitting there at 50) you should strongly consider taking the TE.

I'd have to be on the clock to see what's actually there at the time. That board would have to be picked pretty clean to where I couldn't find better options than a TE who will sit behind Witten.

The fact Dallas probably wouldn't highlights their flawed thinking when it comes to the draft.

Or their flawed thinking with regard to an again TE's playing time. Again, I'm not agreeing with them here, but I am acknowledging how they think and what kind of a return the team would get on that second round pick. Not much.

DiResta

Reaction score
Click the link for the rest of the league.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/i...l-kiper-plays-gm-three-rounds-first-100-picks

Round 1 (19):
Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
Round 2 (50): Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
Round 3 (81): Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays State

Anthony Hitchens got a big free-agent deal from the Chiefs, and we still don't know if Jaylon Smith is going to get back to his pre-injury form. That's why if I'm the Dallas GM, I'm taking a hard-hitting, versatile linebacker in Evans. He's a three-down player with a high ceiling.

Gesicki won't be Jason Witten's replacement on Day 1 -- he was a glorified slot receiver for the Nittany Lions. He needs time (and coaching) to figure out how to be an inline blocker. As a receiver, though, the 6-5, 247-pound Gesicki is a nightmare matchup for linebackers and safeties. I really like Shepherd, who broke a hand in practice at the Senior Bowl. I don't know if he'll be a penetrating 3-technique, but his tape is impressive.

Depending on what happens with Dez Bryant over the next few weeks, wide receiver could be another position to address with these picks.
dont know about #3 but 1 & 2 would both be day 1 starters in places of need
i wouldnt mind

not only did Witten look like father time in the pass game he had some false starts in key moments as well
hes a warrior but the offense could greatly benefit from a better receiving threat
thing about Gesicki is i dont trust Dallas to use him to his strengths
Bennett had great hands and yeah he couldve played tackle but rarely did they use him other than blocking

Sydla

Reaction score
I'll concede that, but what also "doesn't work" is trying to forecast how much time Witten does have left. He's certainly closer to the end, but that end could be one year, two years, or even three years. Nobody can say with any degree of certainty.

I'd have to be on the clock to see what's actually there at the time. That board would have to be picked pretty clean to where I couldn't find better options than a TE who will sit behind Witten.

Or their flawed thinking with regard to an again TE's playing time. Again, I'm not agreeing with them here, but I am acknowledging how they think and what kind of a return the team would get on that second round pick. Not much.

I can agree with some of this. Note, I am not suggesting I am going to want to come out of this draft with a TE. But given the situation as I see it, if the best player on the board at a pick in the first 2-3 rounds is a TE, I wouldn't think it's a mistake if they took a TE like Gesicki.

That being said, I have little doubt they think they are fine at TE and would pass on the top 2 TEs in this draft.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can agree with some of this. Note, I am not suggesting I am going to want to come out of this draft with a TE. But given the situation as I see it, if the best player on the board at a pick in the first 2-3 rounds is a TE, I wouldn't think it's a mistake if they took a TE like Gesicki.

That being said, I have little doubt they think they are fine at TE and would pass on the top 2 TEs in this draft.

I think I have the same view on TE that you do on OG.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd take an OG at 2 if he was the BPA on the board. I just wouldn't use a first round pick on one.

I'll split that difference. I don't want to use pick #19 on one (not named Nelson) but I'd trade down and gladly take Hernandez or Wynn.