KTCK on what Parcells wants in his OLB

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
theogt said:
Let me set you straight. I don't want anyone believing your misquotes.

As a 4-3 DE, Lawson would have trouble against the run. He doesn't have the size to be a traditional NFL 4-3 DE. As a 3-4 OLB he's fine against the run.

As for the 3-4 ILB spot, traditionally in the 3-4 the LILB is the run-stopper type. See Akin Ayodele for the type of player I'm referring to. In the 3-4 that Bill intends to run, the OLBs are more versatile (meaning speedy and agile) pass-rushing types.

The OLB is generally a larger player than an ILB in the 3-4 and plays like a standup- de. They'd better be able to stop the run and break down a block, otherwise, there are going to be a lot of sweep and toss plays given to you.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Rack said:
And you know this, how?

seriously? have you seen him play in the 3-4? Totally agree with you Rack. How is standing up against the run any different than being a downlineman. You still need to fight off your blocks and get to teh ball carrier, that part of it doesn't change.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
Your still on ignore Rack and my Cowboyszone experiance couldn't be better except for the fact that unfortuantly the ignore feature won't ignore your text quoted in other users posts.

Yet the loser had the need to quote me (from reading it in another's post) and respond to it.

Yeah, you really don't want to read my posts.

:rolleyes:

Not like you have much of anything usefull to add to this place anyway. Doesn't even know the difference between a LOLB/ROLB and a WOLB/SOLB.

Put the madden contoller down, Kiddo.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
seriously? have you seen him play in the 3-4? Totally agree with you Rack. How is standing up against the run any different than being a downlineman. You still need to fight off your blocks and get to teh ball carrier, that part of it doesn't change.

No kidding. If standing up automatically made you a better run defender, wouldn't all defensive lineman be in a stand up position?

lol

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
No kidding. If standing up automatically made you a better run defender, wouldn't all defensive lineman be in a stand up position?
This post is very telling.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
This post is very telling.

Uuuhhh... YEAH. It tells that I was mocking you're completely ignorant "Logic".

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
From what I've seen Lawson is pretty good at shedding blocks with his hand down. I could only imagine that his speed and agility will help him standing up.

As for Carpenter's ability at shedding blocks, watch the Texas v. Ohio State game. Carpenter gets absolutely manhandled by the Texas line.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:

Actually, while I don't know whether it would make him better or not, there is a difference here.

As a LBer, he is playing in more space and has a better chance at getting past the tackle using his speed. The down is that he loses some leverage, as the lineman can pop him in the chest.

Note that this applies to outside running plays, in which he will still have to worry about guards and even FBs.

Now if it is an inside wham, he has either advantage or disadvantage, depending on which gap the end is lining up in and where the LBer's responsibilty gap is. TOo many ways that can go for me to sit and describe - but it can be either easier or harder.

If they are going straight against him, off tackle, it's about a wash, because his main responsibility will be to stand the tackle up until the RB gets there and then either A) keep the hole small enough to keep any cutback lanes from developing and allowing a gap LB or DB to come in or B) break the block and get to the RB, which really depends on where the RB is going to go and where the OLB's support is.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
Uuuhhh... YEAH. It tells that I was mocking you're completely ignorant "Logic".
Ignorant "Logic"? I understand what you meant, but that was pretty funny. If you don't understand why, look up the definition for both words.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
theogt said:
From what I've seen Lawson is pretty good at shedding blocks with his hand down. I could only imagine that his speed and agility will help him standing up.

As for Carpenter's ability at shedding blocks, watch the Texas v. Ohio State game. Carpenter gets absolutely manhandled by the Texas line.

All due respect, most players got manhandled by the Texas line.

Verdict

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
I know everyone loves Bobby Carpenter, and if he's the pick, I'll support it completely. I don't think he's going to be the pick though.

When Jerry talks about tweeners, I think he means it. They won't pick a true LB. I think they pick another pass rusher in the mold of Wimbley or Lawson.

You don't hear as much about Wimbley, but he might be the best fit.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:

Complete and utter BS.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
All due respect, most players got manhandled by the Texas line.
Good point, but I just watched the whole game and didn't see him beat a single tackle.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Good point, but I just watched the whole game and didn't see him beat a single tackle.

If that's what you saw after watching that game, then you're complete lack of football knowledge is now evident.

Nothing new to me though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
If that's what you saw after watching that game, then you're complete lack of football knowledge is now evident.
Watch the game, Rack.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Watch the game, Rack.

:rolleyes:

I did watch the game.

LEARN the game, theogt. If they're giving any basic football classes at any colleges near you, I'd advise you take one.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
LEARN the game, theogt. If they're giving any basic football classes at any colleges near you, I'd advise you take one.
More, "I'm right, you're wrong." :rolleyes: