Twitter: Kurt Warner: Details determine everything on Dak interception

mardwin

Reaction score
I am not going to disagree with the break down in either play design or route running. However, Dak needs to recognize the problem and not throw it there. He's been around long enough that he should understand that.
He's not paid to recognized but to execute.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Somehow he's the one QB who has magically had OC after OC with a terrible scheme.
I'm not trying to defend Dak here, but which offensive coordinator Dak OR Romo has had that you would say is "Top-Tier"?
  • Sean Payton
    • This is the one guy since the Parcells era that has had any real success post-Dallas
    • But based off his current stint in Denver, was it him or was it really Drew Brees?
    • I think that is legit because "the greatest coach in NFL history" has looked pedestrian since the GOAT left NE
  • Tony Sparano
    • He left Dallas to be come the Miami Head coach for 4 years, then went to become the Jets OC for a year. Both huge disappointments
    • Since his time as OC of the Jets, he's had only 1 job at the Coordinator or higher level, and that was interim HC of the Raiders
  • Jason Garrett
    • The guy who's coaching experience was 2 years as the Dolphins QB coach before being handed the Assistant HC/OC job of the Cowboys
    • He was such a prolific offensive coach, he lasted a whole 2 years as an NFL coach post-Dallas. So good, he now works on TV.
  • Bill Callahan
    • One of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL, mediocre OC and HC in the NFL
    • So prolific of an OC, he been an OC exactly 0 times since leaving Dallas after the 2014 season
  • Scott Linehan
    • A pretty decent college coach that never really did much at the NFL level
    • Such a good OC, that he has never worked as a coach at the college or NFL level after leaving Dallas
  • Kellen Moore
    • The only person I know that went for 3rd string backup QB to QB coach for the same team in a year
    • Then after an EXPANSIVE 1 year as the QB coach, became the Offensive Coordinator
    • While the jury is still out for his career as an OC, the Chargers aren't exactly setting the league on fire so far this year
  • Brian Schottenheimer
    • It wasn't exactly well received when he was announced as the Cowboys OC for 2023
    • Wasn't really impressive with his previous OC stints with the Colts, Rams, Seahawks or Jaguars
    • In fact, it was surprising the 2022 "Coaching analyst" was even in the running for OC in the first place
  • Mike McCarthy
    • Not really OC, but he is the playcaller
    • Ignoring his less than smooth exit from GB
    • The offense, despite having mostly the same players for the past 3 years, has clearly regressed in 2023 from the previous 3 years
    • So either KM is an offensive genius, or MM offense is a huge dud so far. Hard to blame the QB since it is the same QB for all 4 years

Again, not trying to "protect Dak", but outside of Payton (who was pre-Dak) and MAYBE Moore (will have to wait and see), Dallas hasn't exactly been the center of Offensive Geniuses in the last 20 years.

We've had a few pretty darn good offenses in that time frame, but I think that was more to do with we have had some really good players more than we have had really good coaching.

And of course, we all know why we don't get one of those "Genius Coaches", and it has NOTHING to do with any players we have or had. *Cough*Cough*

JMHO

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Problem 1. Poor play design
Problem 2. Poor execution
Problem 3. Dak doesn't recognize the sloppy execution or feels like he has to press his luck anyway.
Problem 4. He's not talented enough to overcome problems 1 and 2 with his arm.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Yeah....If Mahomes had been our QB on Sunday he would have thrown 3 INTs too.

It's not Dak's fault.

It's the coaches fault.

It's not Dak's fault.

It's the receiver's fault.

It's not Dak's fault.

It's the OLine's fault.

It's not Dak's fault.

It's Dak's fault. WAIT...I mean it's NOT Dak's fault. It's our fault. It's America's fault. AND THE REFS! And Kurt Warner's fault!!!!!!!

M....V....P !!!!!
M....V....P !!!!!!
M....V....P !!!!!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yup….Where was Kurt Warner’s breakdown when we played the Jets?

Maybe i missed it
A functional technique that works is relevent...and adds to an arsenal. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm not trying to defend Dak here, but which offensive coordinator Dak OR Romo has had that you would say is "Top-Tier"?
  • Sean Payton
    • This is the one guy since the Parcells era that has had any real success post-Dallas
    • But based off his current stint in Denver, was it him or was it really Drew Brees?
    • I think that is legit because "the greatest coach in NFL history" has looked pedestrian since the GOAT left NE
  • Tony Sparano
    • He left Dallas to be come the Miami Head coach for 4 years, then went to become the Jets OC for a year. Both huge disappointments
    • Since his time as OC of the Jets, he's had only 1 job at the Coordinator or higher level, and that was interim HC of the Raiders
  • Jason Garrett
    • The guy who's coaching experience was 2 years as the Dolphins QB coach before being handed the Assistant HC/OC job of the Cowboys
    • He was such a prolific offensive coach, he lasted a whole 2 years as an NFL coach post-Dallas. So good, he now works on TV.
  • Bill Callahan
    • One of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL, mediocre OC and HC in the NFL
    • So prolific of an OC, he been an OC exactly 0 times since leaving Dallas after the 2014 season
  • Scott Linehan
    • A pretty decent college coach that never really did much at the NFL level
    • Such a good OC, that he has never worked as a coach at the college or NFL level after leaving Dallas
  • Kellen Moore
    • The only person I know that went for 3rd string backup QB to QB coach for the same team in a year
    • Then after an EXPANSIVE 1 year as the QB coach, became the Offensive Coordinator
    • While the jury is still out for his career as an OC, the Chargers aren't exactly setting the league on fire so far this year
  • Brian Schottenheimer
    • It wasn't exactly well received when he was announced as the Cowboys OC for 2023
    • Wasn't really impressive with his previous OC stints with the Colts, Rams, Seahawks or Jaguars
    • In fact, it was surprising the 2022 "Coaching analyst" was even in the running for OC in the first place
  • Mike McCarthy
    • Not really OC, but he is the playcaller
    • Ignoring his less than smooth exit from GB
    • The offense, despite having mostly the same players for the past 3 years, has clearly regressed in 2023 from the previous 3 years
    • So either KM is an offensive genius, or MM offense is a huge dud so far. Hard to blame the QB since it is the same QB for all 4 years

Again, not trying to "protect Dak", but outside of Payton (who was pre-Dak) and MAYBE Moore (will have to wait and see), Dallas hasn't exactly been the center of Offensive Geniuses in the last 20 years.

We've had a few pretty darn good offenses in that time frame, but I think that was more to do with we have had some really good players more than we have had really good coaching.

And of course, we all know why we don't get one of those "Genius Coaches", and it has NOTHING to do with any players we have or had. *Cough*Cough*

JMHO
Dak has been productive by the standards of a passing league has been reflectively productive.

4,000 yard seasons under Jerry Jones:

1983 - 4156
1985 - 4236
1986 - 4003
2006 - 4067
2007 - 4290
2009 - 4483
2010 - 4208
2011 - 4453
2012 - 4992
2013 - 4226
2014 - 4008
2019 - 4902
2020 - 4511
2021 - 4963
2022 - 3911

(4,000 yard seasons with coaches)

Bill Parcells 2003-2006 (1)
Wade Phillips 2007-2010 (3)
Jason Garrett 2010-2019 (5)
Mike McCarthy 2020-Present (2)

As have the Head Coaches under Jerry Jones have been respectful as well as to directions.

Switzer had 3 playoff seasons in 4 seasons.
Chan Gailey had 2 playoff seasons in 2 seasons.
Bill Parcells 2 playoff seasons in 4 seasons.
Wade Phillips 2 playoff seasons in 4 seasons.
Mike McCarthy 2 playoff seasons in 3 seasons.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak can change the play with an audible. Stop trying to excuse a failed QB.
Correct. They’ve already stated multiple times, Dak is more in charge with this offense this year. When I first heard that I whimpered.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak has been productive by the standards of a passing league has been reflectively productive.

4,000 yard seasons under Jerry Jones:

1983 - 4156
1985 - 4236
1986 - 4003
2006 - 4067
2007 - 4290
2009 - 4483
2010 - 4208
2011 - 4453
2012 - 4992
2013 - 4226
2014 - 4008
2019 - 4902
2020 - 4511
2021 - 4963
2022 - 3911

(4,000 yard seasons with coaches)

Bill Parcells 2003-2006 (1)
Wade Phillips 2007-2010 (3)
Jason Garrett 2010-2019 (5)
Mike McCarthy 2020-Present (2)

As have the Head Coaches under Jerry Jones have been respectful as well as to directions.

Switzer had 3 playoff seasons in 4 seasons.
Chan Gailey had 2 playoff seasons in 2 seasons.
Bill Parcells 2 playoff seasons in 4 seasons.
Wade Phillips 2 playoff seasons in 4 seasons.
Mike McCarthy 2 playoff seasons in 3 seasons.
you are all over the place CC. what the heck does Dak and 4000 yard passing seasons have to do with anything!!? not sure why you even bring this up.

since switzer, the cowboys have under achieved in 28 years. Switzer benefited from a team fully stocked with Jimmy Johnson drafted players. Jimmy Johnson built the cowboys success.

since then Jerry has failed as an NFL GM. no ifs/buts/thens

btw, do you work for Jerry Jones? or perhaps you are Jerry Jones. you are getting awfully defensive about anything jerry related.

Jerry Sucks. I refuse to purchase anything cowboy related. I stopped going to games. and I am urging anyone of my fellow cowboys to do the same.

cristglo

Reaction score
This is you CHOOSING to think that was his intention in the video.

*QB throws a terrible pick*

Kurt Warner: this was a terrible play design

No mention of the QB not HAVING to throw that ball there.
No disrespect but I was just wanting to know if it’s a timing based route is that throwing it to where he supposed to be I mean I can understand what Kurt is saying because I’ve been fussing through the whole time. It looks like they have so many receivers right there in the same room area. Seems like you want to spread them out.

cristglo

Reaction score
Then u missed the point. They should have ben at different depths.

They were poorly designed.
I guess then we have to ask yourself . Is it the receiver running the wrong route or is it our OC not making sure these receivers are running their right routes

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah dak is definitely on a downturn but i agree the routes are just the same as they were with km, terrible
The basic problem is that Dak can’t read defenses quickly enough. So, the WRs have to run these simple routes so Dak knows where to look for them. MM can’t run an offense like he’s got Aaron Rodgers at QB. He’s had to dumb it down to accommodate his QB. Daks most efficient year was year one when they tossed out half of Romo’s playbook.

cristglo

Reaction score
I’m thinking it’s both. Right now I feel Dak is washed, McCarthy is a bad offensive coordinator and our WRs are undisciplined. As far as we know the WRs we’re told to run different depths and they didn’t in the game. Or McCarthy’s play design is terrible.

One thing that has been consistent through 3 offensive coordinators is Dak does not rise to the occasion when the pressure is on. That’s why I’ve been advocating to blow it up. Trade Lamb for picks we can use to restock the trenches, cut Dak after June 1, and get Kurt Warner or someone who is detail oriented (Ala Jimmy Johnson was) to coach the offense.

I have a lot of respect for Kurt Warner but I don’t believe every bad game Dak has is because of the play design and the WRs. Don’t get me wrong I would love Warner as the OC but Dak does have some responsibility in his poor play. I will admit that Dak is playing poorly AND is not getting the help from MM. or maybe Dak is so limited MM doesn’t know how to support him. Who knows, it’s a mess right now.
I know that in the off-season and in training camp you don’t want to show your playbook but man it sure did seem like that during training camp they were throwing 30 and 40 yards down the field. I have yet to really see that and when Dak has he’s been off, so I have to question are they putting in any of these deep play threats with cooks, speed Turpin speed these are things that we don’t know cause we’re not there.
also, seems like to me every year except for this year we’ve heard this is going to be Dax off well for the last part of last season and this season I don’t know what’s happened to Dak, but his accuracy is off. His timing is off he’s not rolling out and doing passes on the run. He’s not even running why not take off and run some more. He would free the receivers up but if you watch the all 22 through the seasons you will see that if the receivers are not in the play they halfway run routes it don’t make any sense.
it’s easy for us to sit here and throw Dak underneath the bus but he’s our quarterback and if we’re fans we need to support him. Yeah I know I know what a lot of you gonna say we’re fans and Jerry sucks and that sucks but man some of you every player on this team has sucked you wanting to get rid of you sound like a bunch of all women sitting around gossiping lol we still got time to write this **** if you remember the last few seasons, we started off good and then the floor just fell out. Let’s wait till after game eight or nine and see where we’re at before we start talking about tank in and getting rid of dak

Reaction score
He had the slot on the left side wide open, read the defense.
Next.....
Back to bagging groceries Kurt
No, back to wearing his HOF jacket. Who should I listen to — a HOF’er or someone who probably has only worn a jock in PE class???

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Troy was extremely hard on his WRs. He demanded perfection. That’s what we are sorely missing in the organization is someone that demands perfection. Someone that demands “geeking out about their craft”. I agree with you, Dak is not that guy. We need a coach or a player that demands perfection because we’re not getting that now and it shows on the field.
If anyone was alive or watch's clips of the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys...you will notice a repeated theme:

Jerry, Michael and Troy beating up on...ALVIN HARPER. Those who know...know.

Kumala808

Reaction score
The scheme is killing dak. Watch the tape. Brod also mention that dallas need to let dak play freely. He is being restrained by this offense

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Dak being a good QB.
Dak is a good QB be every measure there is..wether you like it or not the facts state this. Dak played like crap Sunday night also a fact....
I don’t think you know how audibles work. This isn’t Madden where the entire playbook is open. You have 1 maybe 2 other plays that are wildly different. Unless you are checking into a run or sending someone deep because you see a good matchup, you probably don’t have the audible for the situation. That is why you run the play that is written and don’t just pick a fight with the coach even when he is useless.
It doesnt matter because the play was the correct call against that defense... either the route concept was dumb or they didnt execute the routes correctly..it didnt need an audible it needed the inside WR to slant at the correct depth...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

essentially we replaced the 4WR 10 yard curl routes with 2 WR 3 yard slants.

the interesting thing is that the Wrs didn't get much separation. we played right into the hands of the defense and they could just wait and react, without having to make any decisions. on the first play, he was right, RB and WR are in the same throwing path. that doesn't stress a defense and spread them.

I wasn't enamoured with Kellen Moore, but I am less enamoured with the current offense. its not putting the team in a position to win. its not pressuring the defense. our offense got schooled by their defense, both scheme wise and execution.

I know everyone wants to blame Dak. he catches the most flak. I have been razing on him too, but a debacle this big is more than just one player.

khiladi

Reaction score

One can talk about details, but freeze it at 2:25. The inside slant WR is open irrespective, and the 49er LB has already drifted in his zone to the his left. Dak ultimately holds the ball too long and the RB drifts out and Dak goes to him on the checkdown. Dak should have thrown it to his FIRST READ as he was wide open.

Kurt is talking about the break being around the same depth and it makes it hard for Dak to make a decision based on that break, but the defense already made the decision for him, as the WR Dak was directly staring at was OPEN.