La’el ejection play clarification

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think 1st and 25 would've been the correct call.

That would make sense imo. I get the offside balancing as a result of the deadball penalty. Thus resulting in a 1st down. The penalty should then be assessed as that, though I thought it should offset because Dak was hit late as well. So, that's why it'd be 1st and 10 imo.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I think it is safe to say when the ref said the penalty was after the play, the previous play ended and therefore could no longer be during the play as stated in the rule.
Marcus you've gotten quiet. If you're gonna be the Dean Blandino of this board I need to know why that wasn't a dead ball foul and handled like ALL other dead ball fouls. Lol

Again, look at the rule. There is no distinction between a during the play foul and a dead ball foul. But if you want a dead ball foul definition, here's that too. It's enforced as if it occurred during the play (the down counts) hence ........ it was enforced as if during the play like this one was. Lol. Was we still robbed yet?

RULE 14
SECTION 4 SPOTS OF ENFORCEMENT

ARTICLE 9. DEAD BALL FOUL AND FOUL BETWEEN DOWNS. A Dead Ball Foul is a foul that occurs in the continuing action
after a down ends, or a taunting foul that occurs at any time. The penalty for a Dead Ball Foul is enforced from the succeeding
spot, and the down counts.

CWR

Reaction score
That would make sense imo. I get the offside balancing as a result of the deadball penalty. Thus resulting in a 1st down. The penalty should then be assessed as that, though I thought it should offset because Dak was hit late as well. So, that's why it'd be 1st and 10 imo.

Na, the offsides is declined, we get the 1st and 10 on the reception, then tack on 15 for unnecessary roughness. 1st and 25. At least that's what I expected.

CWR

Reaction score
Again, look at the rule. There is no distinction between a during the play foul and a dead ball foul. But if you want a dead ball foul definition, here's that too. It's enforced as if it occurred during the play (the down counts) hence ........ it was enforced as if during the play like this one was. Lol. Was we still robbed yet?

RULE 14
SECTION 4 SPOTS OF ENFORCEMENT

ARTICLE 9. DEAD BALL FOUL AND FOUL BETWEEN DOWNS. A Dead Ball Foul is a foul that occurs in the continuing action
after a down ends, or a taunting foul that occurs at any time. The penalty for a Dead Ball Foul is enforced from the succeeding
spot, and the down counts.

Yeah we were absolutely. It clearly met the definition of a dead ball foul. Unless you want to sit there and tell me we were penalized for Washington's mistake. You really interpret the rule as we end up in a worse spot because Washington jumped off sides?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Na, the offsides is declined, we get the 1st and 10 on the reception, then tack on 15 for unnecessary roughness. 1st and 25. At least that's what I expected.

Right, but I'm saying that there should be a foul also called on the player that fouled Dak, who was hit late OB. That's what I meant by offsetting. Had that been properly called, imo, that should be offside, declined due to 2 deadball fouls. Then the 2 deadball fouls would offset to replay the down.

CWR

Reaction score
Right, but I'm saying that there should be a foul also called on the player that fouled Dak, who was hit late OB. That's what I meant by offsetting. Had that been properly called, imo, that should be offside, declined due to 2 deadball fouls. Then the 2 deadball fouls would offset to replay the down.

Oh yeah, good point. I was only dealing with what they actually called. I dont think I can handle another variable in the equation lol.

conner01

Reaction score
It should have been a first down, then a penalty after the play. Unless they have some obscure rule against is for a continuous play.

The other possibility was they determined the pass was incomplete.
Where was the ball placed after the penalty 15 yards from the catch or the previous spot.
If from the catch then it should have been a 1st down.

And why did MM or someone not question it?
I thought it would be first and 25
But sounded like something was off set
They poorly explained it

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yeah we were absolutely. It clearly met the definition of a dead ball foul. Unless you want to sit there and tell me we were penalized for Washington's mistake. You really interpret the rule as we end up in a worse spot because Washington jumped off sides?

Read. The. Damn. Rule.

When there are 2 fouls in a 5 vs. 15 situation, the 15 wins out and the 5 is disregarded. Live foul. Dead ball foul. Either/or. Both/and.

You just gonna cry victim all night with the evidence in your face to the contrary? Consistent bunch, you 'spiracy folk. Lol.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

There was no late hit.

Dak-Hit-GIF.gif

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
1) If one or more fouls by one team includes a 15-yard penalty, and the penalty for the foul or fouls committed by the other
team is for a five-yard penalty without an automatic First Down, a loss of down, or a 10-second runoff (15 yards versus
five yards), or that is not a spot foul, the 15-yard penalty is enforced from the previous spot, and the five-yard penalty is
disregarded. Five vs. 15 enforcement cannot be declined by the team that committed the minor foul, except as described
in (2) below. See 4-8-2-h and 14-4-9-Item 3-Exc. 1 for dead ball fouls at the end of a half.

CWR

Reaction score
Read. The. Damn. Rule.

When there are 2 fouls in a 5 vs. 15 situation, the 15 wins out and the 5 is disregarded. Live foul. Dead ball foul. Either/or. Both/and.

You just gonna cry victim all night with the evidence in your face to the contrary? Consistent bunch, you 'spiracy folk. Lol.

Right, I'm not arguing that. The 15 yard DEAD BALL FOUL won. It should've been added to the end of the play. The only thing that makes this "strange" is the 5 yarder thrown in the middle, muddying the water. Yet that penalty didn't matter, so enforce the DEAD BALL FOUL.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Read. The. Damn. Rule.

This one is a bit confusing. There's a lot going on, so it's understandable that a lot of people think we got screwed.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There was no late hit.

Dak-Hit-GIF.gif

Interesting with what I see here. Maybe it's not late, but it is a dirty hit there. That could be roughing ironically. Notice how the ball is out, and Dak goes down that way. Either way, I think that was a foul.

CWR

Reaction score
1) If one or more fouls by one team includes a 15-yard penalty, and the penalty for the foul or fouls committed by the other
team is for a five-yard penalty without an automatic First Down, a loss of down, or a 10-second runoff (15 yards versus
five yards), or that is not a spot foul, the 15-yard penalty is enforced from the previous spot, and the five-yard penalty is
disregarded. Five vs. 15 enforcement cannot be declined by the team that committed the minor foul, except as described
in (2) below. See 4-8-2-h and 14-4-9-Item 3-Exc. 1 for dead ball fouls at the end of a half.

Yeah I see it. So if Washington didn't jump we are looking at 1st and 25, but because they went off sides we ended up in 3rd a 26 right?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh yeah, good point. I was only dealing with what they actually called. I dont think I can handle another variable in the equation lol.

Which, maybe it wasn't a late hit, but I thought it was a foul at least for potential roughing the passer. Yes, he doesn't strike him in the head, but the hit looked late. Dak's arm had done a complete rotation prior to the hit, and the Washington player had plenty of time to pull back when the ball wasn't in Dak's hand anymore.

Reactions: CWR

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Interesting with what I see here. Maybe it's not late, but it is a dirty hit there. That could be roughing ironically. Notice how the ball is out, and Dak goes down that way. Either way, I think that was a foul.
A bit dirty, but legal. Happens all the time, even our guys have gotten away with it. IIRC, Parsons did it last week, very similar, but the QB didn't fall down.

CWR

Reaction score
Which, maybe it wasn't a late hit, but I thought it was a foul at least for potential roughing the passer. Yes, he doesn't strike him in the head, but the hit looked late. Dak's arm had done a complete rotation prior to the hit, and the Washington player had plenty of time to pull back when the ball wasn't in Dak's hand anymore.

That gets called quite often. So it very well could've. Remember I think the Pats game when we kept getting tagged with those and it was on guys going out if bounds?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Right, I'm not arguing that. The 15 yard DEAD BALL FOUL won. It should've been added to the end of the play. The only thing that makes this "strange" is the 5 yarder thrown in the middle, muddying the water. Yet that penalty didn't matter, so enforce the DEAD BALL FOUL.

No distinction is made in the rule. It only says "15-yard penalty." That could be anything live or dead. Dead is enforced just like live as I just showed you. So they did so. The only thing that changes in a double foul is they enforce from the previous spot, which they did here also. So nothing was done wrong.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah I see it. So if Washington didn't jump we are looking at 1st and 25, but because they went off sides we ended up in 3rd a 26 right?
I don't think the 5 yarder has any bearing on the penalty. I think that's only mentioned to explain that the 5 yarder is nullified to keep the penalties from offsetting.