Lack of weapons will limit playoff success!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That’s also not the question….
The thing was we could’ve easily kept Cooper for at least another season and had both instead of Gallup. So then we have two top tier QRs instead of good one and a scrub coming off an ACL on a big contract. We could’ve cut Amari once we resign Lamb but would’ve been nice to have another year of Amari. Boiled down to Jerry’s hurt feelings and it was and always will be one of the worst trades we ever made.
They decided to keep Gallup/Shultz.

plasticman

Reaction score
And I would think the two entities took that into account when they compiled the scoring averages per game for all the teams.
Which would be confirmed by dividing their total points by the number of games they play.

In doing so, we find the Cowboys average points per game to be 27.5 compared to the Eagles 2nd place 28 points and the 49ers 4th place average of 27.25 points.

The Cowboys are 3rd place in points scored per game......at least for the next 7-8 hours. It would seem that the Cowboys have an opportunity to move up considering their opponent today. I do say it would "seem"..

In the meantime the 49ers play the Jaguars whose defense is ranked pretty high in preventing points. The Eagles have a bye so they maintain their 28 point average.

Therefore, the Cowboys will move up to 2nd in scoring if they get 33 points against the Giants. It won't change the divisional standing with the exception that the Cowboys would be 2 games behind the Eagles instead of 2 and 1/2.

Of course, the 49ers could move to 2nd place in scoring even if the Cowboys score 33. All they have to do is score at least 34 points while scoring 2 more points than the Cowboys.

birdwells1

Reaction score
For the 90th time, the decision wasn't Gallup or Cooper. When they took Lamb in the 1st rd, they knew they couldn't keep two top paid receivers at the position. Lamb may get close to 30 million this offseason. Who would you rather have Cooper or Lamb?
This doesn't make sense, it's been 2 years since Cooper was here and CeeDee hasn't paid yet, so why couldn't they keep him again?

quickccc

Reaction score
For the 90th time, the decision wasn't Gallup or Cooper. When they took Lamb in the 1st rd, they knew they couldn't keep two top paid receivers at the position. Lamb may get close to 30 million this offseason. Who would you rather have Cooper or Lamb?
With Lamb or Cooper, i don't think it has anything to do with two paid WRs.

We took Lamb because he was valued as the best available prospect on their draft board, regardless of offense or defense.

In fact before we drafted Lamb, we only just re-signed Amari Cooper to a record contract at the time, only a month before we drafted Lamb in 2020, i believe.

it will probably never be publicly reported (unless Jerry accidentally spills the beans) as factual as why we trade Cooper away for a bag of peanuts.

Maybe the club did not think Cooper's on field production, his tendency to disappear in key games, (especially vs top coverage CBs) .. for a guy that was supposedly the featured lead WR, or rumors of his stand offish personality.
Club seemed like they could not wait to get rid of Cooper.
Seemed " personal " more than business decision, imo.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Lack of weapons isn't going to be the issue, lack of a running game is more of a concern.

One-dimensional teams don't typically do well come playoff time.

quickccc

Reaction score
Give me Amari Cooper and Cedric Wilson over Brandon Cooks, and Michael Gallup.
To each his own .. but I'll take Cooks over Ceddy Wilson .

Cannot teach speed, ...
and as the late John Madden used to say, " there's 2 things defenses fears the most" :
1) Speed
2) A running QB

Only problem with the speedy Cooks here is the coaching currently here.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Cooper’s contract would have been done by the time Lamb’s new deal was an issue.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Week 10: Home vs New York Giants​

Prediction: Win (6-3)

Week 11: @ Carolina Panthers​

Prediction: Win (7-3)

Week 12: vs Washington Commanders (Thanksgiving)​

Prediction: Win (8-3)

Week 13: vs Seattle Seahawks​

Prediction: Win (9-3)

Week 14: Home vs Philadelphia Eagles​

Prediction: Win (10-3)

Week 15: @ Buffalo Bills​

Prediction: Win (11-3)

Week 16: @ Miami Dolphins​

Prediction: Loss (11-4)

Week 17: Home vs Detroit Lions​

Prediction: Win (12-4)

Week 18: @ Washington Commanders​

Prediction: Win (13-4)
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-9-remaining-games-2023-win-loss-prediction/
I am thankful for this years schedule. We always get beat up in November playing 3 games in 11 days. We have soft competition in November this year.

I always hated the BS comments of Cowboys/Romo collapse in November every year when our OLine would get destroyed playing 3 games in 11 days.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I almost thought you left out Brown. But, their production last week was a result of their top-notch QB and creative scheme, especially if you look at the plays that got Brown his 151 yards.
Funny how both Schultz and Brown are not only getting separation, but catching balls all over the field. Trust your players and open up the playbook and wallah!

CCBoy

Reaction score
The lack of weapons excuse is lame. History over the past 27 years exhibits the Cowboys just don't win in the post season, no matter what their weapons look like.
Oh yea, huge deficits...one year 5 point loss and the next a 6 point deficit. Then there two years against Green Bay that were lost by 3 points the last 2 times with the Cowboys' current head coach taking a #6 seed Green Bay to a Lombardi...then there was Bill Parcells. Naw the 28 year ball of wax excuses is a failure addressing leadership through changes. Nothing more now, than a whipping boy excuse for disappointment in leadership. Fact is, current Dallas leadership is doing the job of change and doing it well.

starfan1

Reaction score
I will say we are not built as well on offensive side of the ball as San Fran or Philly

Whether or not that ends up being a reason for losing in playoffs remains to be seen

My biggest concern coming into season was OL and drafting zekes replacement and we did neither and it has reared its ugly head this year

That and the defense is similar to our QB against quality teams. Not as dominant

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Oh yea, huge deficits...one year 5 point loss and the next a 6 point deficit. Then there two years against Green Bay that were lost by 3 points the last 2 times with the Cowboys' current head coach taking a #6 seed Green Bay to a Lombardi...then there was Bill Parcells. Naw the 28 year ball of wax excuses is a failure addressing leadership through changes. Nothing more now, than a whipping boy excuse for disappointment in leadership. Fact is, current Dallas leadership is doing the job of change and doing it well.
Cool. Here's your trophy.

6853GOM.jpg