La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A good RT makes more than an average LT on that second contract. He ought to be focused on where he's most likely to have the most success on the field coming out of that rookie deal. Bonus pay is a big deal, but it doesn't trump the resume of a talented young player with playoff or Superbowl experience whose the best player in FA at his position.

If he's built for RT, that's where I'd stay if I were him. In the right spot, his next contract should be huge.

Very glad that some people can see it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that miami lifestyle is going to be tough to turn down. i hope he realizes he'll be playing in front of a half empty stadium every sunday.

You mean that giant temptation and barrier to his real objective of a big second contract is going to be too close for comfort, don't you? :)

perrykemp

Reaction score
Which I have pointed out numerous times is a fixed amount for all undrafted free agents. His pay cannot exceed $1.575 million. Here, there, or anywhere.

What is variable is the up to $1.2 million (roughly $400k per year) he is eligible for for NFL performance bonus payouts he gets if he starts from day 1. That doesn't count against the cap charge and isn't paid by the Cowboys -- it's paid by the NFL.

I would suspect that the guarantee of starting on Day 1 is a key part of this for Collins so he can earn that bonus.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Collins just needs to go ahead and follow his heart to Dallas. He grew up with the Cowboys as his favorite team, the OL are the closest thing to rock stars that you'll find at that position, he will be close to home, and, I mean.... everyone wants to be a Cowboy.

Just do it.

#70 Pancakes 3 guys on this play, lol.

imlSGUbdnYlDy.gif

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A good RT makes more than an average LT on that second contract. He ought to be focussed on where he's most likely to have the most success on the field coming out of that rookie deal. Bonus pay is a big deal, but it doesn't trump the resume of a talented young player with playoff or Superbowl experience whose the best player in FA at his position.

If he's built for RT, that's where I'd stay if I were him. In the right spot, his next contract should be huge.

That's debatable.
When you remove rookie contracts from the equation low level starting LT's make more than top 10 RTs.

Now if you want to get into non-starting LTs and swing guys the line is blurred.
Starters make more of course.

http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

http://overthecap.com/position/right-tackle/

Ironically, Left Guard's however make more money than RTs.

http://overthecap.com/position/left-guard/

Galian Beast

Reaction score
again, that is not true.
his SALARY is his yearly totals and he can not be given any incentives. his base of 1.5 over 3 years is set AND CAN NOT BE LOWERED or paid in any way other than via 17 paychecks per season.

he can be given a signing bonus of up to 88k. --each team has a pool of 88k total for all undrafted rookies.

salary is yearly pay, signing bonus money is part of total compensation and cap hit.

i have shown you actual examples on the team of how this counts versus the cap.
pay attention or remain stupid, your choice.

I just looked up the contracts, and you were right about the signing bonuses.

You were still wrong about not being able to sign until Saturday though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is variable is the up to $1.2 million (roughly $400k per year) he is eligible for for NFL performance bonus payouts he gets if he starts from day 1. That doesn't count against the cap charge and isn't paid by the Cowboys -- it's paid by the NFL.

I would suspect that the guarantee of starting on Day 1 is a key part of this for Collins so he can earn that bonus.

Now that is a great point, but one that I don't see as being any more of an issue in Dallas than anywhere else.

Leary and Free are good players, but hardly irreplaceable or anything Collins should have difficulty replacing, wouldn't you agree?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even guard that can be true. I think Zack Martin will make more at RG than he ever would at RT.

The multiplier you'd get with team success might be more important than the position. And starting at LT and later getting moved is a real possibility for even high picks when they're projected to be RTs coming out. More than anything, this guy just needs to hit a solid double on a good team. Swinging for the fences would be tempting, but it's fairly risky, too.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Show me where that says the signing bonus is in addition to, and not part of the total.

Then you might be able to maintain your sanctimonious attitude.

But until someone I trust on cap issues chimes in, yours is just another opinion.

He is actually right, I looked up the rookie contracts for last year and the signing bonus is in addition to the fixed base salary for an udfa.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

That and the (small) signing bonus as I detailed above.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Which I have pointed out numerous times is a fixed amount for all undrafted free agents. His pay cannot exceed $1.575 million. Here, there, or anywhere.

I will pay Collins
in a house.
I will pay Collins
with a mouse.
I will pay Collins
here or there.
I will pay Collins
anywhere.
I will pay Collins with green eggs and ham.
I will pay him, Sam-I-am.

myslamsareolder

Reaction score
one of the problems is jt used bad examples to illustrate is point when there were good ones to be used. Then he called everyone dumb. This leads to arguments. The best example is Ben Gardener and Chris Whaley, who are making the minimum this year and the only players to make the minimum AND get a signing bonus:

Ben Gardner $435,000 $14,793 $449,793
Chris Whaley $435,000 $1,666 $436,666

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is actually right, I looked up the rookie contracts for last year and the signing bonus is in addition to the fixed base salary for an udfa.

Well, if that's the case, then my apologies to @jterrell. I guess you were right on that point.

In that case I rescind my offer to all other undrafted free agents and give the whole $88,000 to Collins! See ya Farmer!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You can see his mean streak here towards the end of this play. To me, the attitude and aggression is as big a positive as any of the physical tools he has (which are plentiful).

ibxpPVh8onPP7.gif