La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

DBOY3141

Reaction score
He can't sign a contract there.
He can after LSU's graduation at Valley Ranch.
That's the difference in official and unofficial.

If he has agreed to stick around Dallas til Saturday I think the dude is ours.

Gotcha. I agree, if he stays in town, it looks very good for Dallas. If he leaves, who knows.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that is actually a great sign for Dallas.

If they get him into Valley Ranch Saturday... !

And if that's the only one he takes before then, I think it's a great sign for us and one that would indicate that his mind has been made up.

We just need to put him 'on ice' until then!

;)

Sydla

Reaction score
Your right there are 32 great LT in the NFL and no one needs a LT. Amazing how all of a sudden all LT became great players all at once. I don't think in the history of the NFL has that ever happened.

No offense but you are flip flopping. First talking about LT, then referencing every OL, then talking about James moving to OG but he's a RT not a LT.

What exactly is your point? Are you talking about LTs solely or any OL position? If we are talking any OL position, Dallas can certainly use him and offer him a spot. If we are talking RT, Dallas could still offer him a spot as Free could be kicked inside again or become the swing tackle. If we are talking strictly LT, then he'll have no reason to come here with Smith as our LT. However, many of the teams you seem to hint would be better for him also have entrenched LTs that are not being moved for Collins.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Anyone following Randy Gregory on twitter? Wonder if he is saying anything since they are buddies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I thought about this last night and I just don't think that a decent agent is going to allow Collins to make the mistake of trying to pick a team, based on playing LT. Collins just doesn't project to LT in the NFL IMO. He's a Guard or a RT and his representation should know what he is. If he were drafted in the 1st round, as he probably should have been, then it would be reasonable to assume that your agent would consider the possibility to LT because if Collins failed there, he would have time to recover and earn a nice contract at Guard or RT. But this situation is different. He's getting very little in his initial contract and everything is being banked on how he does in his 1st two years. He doesn't really have a lot of time to try and be a LT in the NFL. If he tries and fails, that means that he really only has one season to prove his worth at another position before he's up against his next contract. With Collins, his situation is very different from most other players, particularly other 1st round picks obviously. I think that unless you know he is a good LT in the NFL, you can't afford to take that risk. His agent gets paid on what his next contract is. If he flames out as a LT, the player and the agency are going to take big hits on earnings, already severely impacted by what has transpired. I just don't see any way a good agent can afford to take that risk. I think that if you are advising Collins, you have to advise him in the best possible way to earn a good 2nd contract. I think you have to tell him to look for opportunities to start at RT or RG. To do otherwise would be very risky IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your right there are 32 great LT in the NFL and no one needs a LT. Amazing how all of a sudden all LT became great players all at once. I don't think in the history of the NFL has that ever happened.

Fail once again. It's clear that you want to make a claim and again and again have nothing to back it up. And then resort to even more vague and outlandish claims to try to run away from it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What is your problem? Let fans discuss the possibility. Everybody knows he might sign somewhere else. You don't have to keep saying it as if you want to bring people down. They already know. Just discussing what if scenarios.

That is what I had said at the get go. I mention others more likely to get him and Stash starts telling me no one else needs him. I hope we do sign him I still think it is highly unlikely. I'm not trying to bring no one down I'm being realistic. If in the end Collins signs great I would be thrilled with the signing

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
And when all the money is guaranteed, and the same amount from everyone, thee point is moot.

And so I will ask you, where is he getting that guarantee to play left tackle? Who is giving that to him?

None of the people making this claim have provided any logical examples.

i am starting to believe we get the guy.
but you keep repeating the same inaccurate things then seeming mystified.

i have quite clearly spelled out the money is not the same. not today, not long term. long term is mostly unknown regardles so fhis choice but is most effected by position and willingness of the team he signs with to extend him after 2 seasons.

we are hardly privy to every team's pitch.
we simply know (some of) what dallas has argued.

again this stuff you type is being led by heart logic, not real logic.
obviously there are not 32 teams happy at LT.
i already gave you miami, the giants and seattle.
i can not tell you which teams are offering him a chance to compete at lt but I can tell you that matters financially and is very likely going to come from SOME teams.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Anyone following Randy Gregory on twitter? Wonder if he is saying anything since they are buddies.

They worked out together, I'm guessing his own LSU teammates have more pull than Gregory.
It might sweeten the pot, but don't think that it will play a significant role in his decision.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I have no interest in Collins. He's obviously a complete moron. Otherwise he would have never bothered to visit with the Cowboys. He has absolutely no reason to sign here as has been pointed out repeatedly by terrell and doomsday. If he had understood his situation as well as they do he never would have wasted his own time on Dallas.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fail once again. It's clear that you want to make a claim and again and again have nothing to back it up. And then resort to even more vague and outlandish claims to try to run away from it.

According to you it is a fail. Like I care what you think? I mention teams who are very much interested and you say they are not. Fine by me. I'm not running away from nothing certainly not you. You want him? Hey so do I yet I think it is highly unlikely, if you don't like that view that is your problem.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
If he stays in Dallas until Saturday I think it is a done deal. If we can sign this kid this draft year is one for the ages. We would be picking up three legit first rounders (two projected top 10 picks)

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Yeah, me and at least one other guy have asked him to help recruit La'el to join the Cowboys. But I haven't seen him comment anything.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no interest in Collins. He's obviously a complete moron. Otherwise he would have never bothered to visit with the Cowboys. He has absolutely no reason to sign here as has been pointed out repeatedly by terrell and doomsday.

I think a player refusing any visit is a mistake he has nothing to lose visiting Dallas or Philly or Buffalo or Miami. In the end I would love to have him but I will not sit here like some homer acting as if there are no option out there for him or that no team in the NFL is not hurting at LT?

myslamsareolder

Reaction score
Adam would undoubtedly agree with me (this once).

This doesn't require expertise however just common sense.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys
See the numbers for someone like Jeff Heath.... that is the bonus paid and is in ADDITION to the base salary which can not go below minimum if they make the roster.

Dustin Vaughan$510,000$1,666$0$0$0$511,666

that is Vaughan was given 5K bonus and eats 1.66K of that each year PLUS the minimum for that season as cap hit.

No he wouldn't. You have no idea what you are talking about. You cant look at one year and say "look X+Y=Z, so it's a sweetener!" Look at Doug Free's deal. 3 years 15,000,000. 4,500,000 signing bonus prorated over 3 years.

His base salary is as follows:
2015: 1,500,000.
2016: $4,000,000.
2017: $5,000,000

$5,000,000+$4,000,000+$1,500,000=$11,500,000 guess what? add his signing bonus to that ($11,500,00+$4,500,000) and you get his total deal of $15,000,000.

...Math.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
It might be a better move to play guard at a high level with an elite unit and have a team that projects you as a tackle give you a huge deal. As opposed to going to a team and struggling at tackle early on with a lesser unit exposing any holes your game may have.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i am starting to believe we get the guy.
but you keep repeating the same inaccurate things then seeming mystified.

i have quite clearly spelled out the money is not the same. not today, not long term. long term is mostly unknown regardles so fhis choice but is most effected by position and willingness of the team he signs with to extend him after 2 seasons.

we are hardly privy to every team's pitch.
we simply know (some of) what dallas has argued.

again this stuff you type is being led by heart logic, not real logic.
obviously there are not 32 teams happy at LT.
i already gave you miami, the giants and seattle.
i can not tell you which teams are offering him a chance to compete at lt but I can tell you that matters financially and is very likely going to come from SOME teams.

If you would care to take the time, we can debate the pro's and cons of each of those teams and make our case for why we would or would not think the possibility of starting at LT exists?

You just let me know.

You can mention any team as an example, there are 32 to choose from. But providing a good example means taking the time and making the case. Those 3 teams you mentioned either already have established and well-paid starting LT's (Seattle, Miami) or just drafted one (Giants), and all have recently drafted their RT's.