Lance was very disappointing

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone expected more. The 49ers wouldn't have given up on him so fast if he had anything. And then they trade him to the Cowboys. Just making Jerry look like a fool was the icing on the cake.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone expected more. The 49ers wouldn't have given up on him so fast if he had anything. And then they trade him to the Cowboys. Just making Jerry look like a fool was the icing on the cake.
Cooper is going to lose his QB2 job to Lance.

Not sure when, but it will happen.

Rush can’t make the plays that Lance can.

Forneymike

Reaction score
The question is, "Is he more disappointing than watching the Cowboys lose in the playoffs the last three seasons because of their quarterback?"
Yes he is. He could barely get first downs. Watching that guy play in a real season would be terrible

Chasing6

Reaction score
If your team isn't good enough to win a championship, why pay any QB 60M a year? Just pay an ok to average QB a fraction of the cost and maybe get a 6th or 7th seed.
Maybe because they are in a business to make money. I could be wrong, it is just a thought that popped into my head out of nowhere. No idea where I got if from.

Do you think the teams worth the worst record typically make more money than a team that makes the playoffs?

stiletto

Reaction score
Really depends on what they do with Dak.

He is athletic, but that does not make him a QB.

He desperately needs playing time in an attempt to develop him. He is not going to earn or win a starting job. How and who is going to give him playing time, when he has not earned it???

If we let Dak walk and are in rebuild mode, then you could give him a year regardless of results to play and hope he shows something. If not you have a high draft pick for a new QB.

Best option is to follow the Parcells philosophy of drafting QB's, which you would have thinked, GM Jethro would have learned.

But then again what did Jerry learn from Jimmy?

Jerry thinks he knows better than anyone.
Fair.

We need to get guys in the pipeline IMO. I agree that Lance should be better but it's not his fault he got drafted where he did and at 20 years old got thrust into starting. It probably ruined his confidence given his back ground. Then he got injured. So he has had a really rough start. I only mention 24 because that is still dang young. Box Nix, Pennix are still both older. You think if they look like garbage their teams will give up? They are getting the same money most likely already too.

But with that said...Honestly, I was hoping to see "MORE" than we saw today but it's clear he was rusty/inaccurate, everything they've said at camp.. If he doesn't improve the next two games, I am for not signing him again and they will need to get more guys in here to take over for Dak-In-Headlights when he inevitably walks.

Might have to get a Vet to bridge the gap but as long as they start TRYING, I am ok with that. Hell, might even live with Rush for a year if we know they drafted someone that will clearly takeover.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Everyone who wants to get rid of Dak Prescott for nothing should be forced to sit and watch Trey Lance vs Stetson Bennett on a loop until they recognize the error of their ways.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ok, that's cool. But again, the quarterback isn't the MAIN problem with our team. Our main problem with the team is the trenches.

If we bring in an "ok to average" quarterback, he's not going to be able win many games without a running game to assist him. He's going to also need a good defensive line on the other side of the ball who can actually stop the run, unlike ours.

Dak was able to become an All-Pro and MVP candidate without a running game, but an "ok to average" quarterback won't be able to do nothing near that.

With all of that said, how many ok to average quarterbacks are leading their team to multiple 12 win seasons? Dak doesn't have a losing season on his resume. So replace Dak with an average quarterback and expect better results?

I'm not feeling that.... You're saying that we can bring in more pieces but, what guarantees do you have that those pieces will actually workout? That happens, now you're expecting your "ok to average quarterback" to produce??

That sounds like an instant 3 or 4 win season waiting to happen.
Tampa made the playoffs with Baker Mayfield. Tennessee made the playoffs several times, including a championship game with Tannehill. Goff, Purdy, Hurts, Garoppolo, Wentz/Foles, and Stafford either been to or won a SB. Stafford was no better than Romo. None of the others on that list are all that great. If our team building philosophy isn't good enough to put a championship team on the field, why are they going to pay a QB 55M+? Just to go 12-5?

Yeah our teams sucks in the playoffs, but the QB just made things worse. At no point in time did I think we could win any of the last 3 playoffs games once we got behind. It's a pattern. We see it in regular season as well. I'm not sure how much of it is QB, team, or just a lack of motivation. But our QB is a part of it. If I'm an owner I may pay him. It's good for business. But as a fan, 55M a year +95M to the cap, no chance.

Flamma

Reaction score
Maybe because they are in a business to make money. I could be wrong, it is just a thought that popped into my head out of nowhere. No idea where I got if from.

Do you think the teams worth the worst record typically make more money than a team that makes the playoffs?
LOL, you're going out on a limb there. I'm speaking strictly as a fan. As an owner, I probably pay him.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Fair.

We need to get guys in the pipeline IMO. I agree that Lance should be better but it's not his fault he got drafted where he did and at 20 years old got thrust into starting. It probably ruined his confidence given his back ground. Then he got injured. So he has had a really rough start. I only mention 24 because that is still dang young. Box Nix, Pennix are still both older. You think if they look like garbage their teams will give up? They are getting the same money most likely already too.

But with that said...Honestly, I was hoping to see "MORE" than we saw today but it's clear he was rusty/inaccurate, everything they've said at camp.. If he doesn't improve the next two games, I am for not signing him again and they will need to get more guys in here to take over for Dak-In-Headlights when he inevitably walks.

Might have to get a Vet to bridge the gap but as long as they start TRYING, I am ok with that. Hell, might even live with Rush for a year if we know they drafted someone that will clearly takeover.
He sat his first year.

Drafting a player with a low floor and a high ceiling in round 1 is unbelievably stupid.

That is more like a 4th round pick. I know, I know, Jerry wants you to believe it only costs us a 4th to get Trance. An actually 4th round pick is on your roster for 4 years, not a year and a half. In addition, the don't cost $5.3M over the 4 years never mind year 4 alone.

GM Jethro is selling some hot garbage.

stiletto

Reaction score
He sat his first year.

Drafting a player with a low floor and a high ceiling in round 1 is unbelievably stupid.

That is more like a 4th round pick. I know, I know, Jerry wants you to believe it only costs us a 4th to get Trance. An actually 4th round pick is on your roster for 4 years, not a year and a half. In addition, the don't cost $5.3M over the 4 years never mind year 4 alone.

GM Jethro is selling some hot garbage.
What's done is done. No sense crying about it. Will be interesting to see if Lance feels more comfortable in the next game. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays he whole game like Bennett did next week.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What's done is done. No sense crying about it. Will be interesting to see if Lance feels more comfortable in the next game. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays he whole game like Bennett did next week.
If you noticed we were blitzing on defense, and playing different coverages to confuse Bennett, which is extremely unusual for a preseason game, so somebody wanted Trance to get a win under win pretty badly.

Plankton

Reaction score
If you noticed we were blitzing on defense, and playing different coverages to confuse Bennett, which is extremely unusual for a preseason game, so somebody wanted Trance to get a win under win pretty badly.
Yeah, THAT's the reason why the defense would have played different coverages and blitzed - to get Trey Lance a win.

Make it stop.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The question is, "Is he more disappointing than watching the Cowboys lose in the playoffs the last three seasons because of their quarterback?"
Did you really ask that question? And what do you think the outcome would be with Lance?

Oh yeah there would be no playoffs