Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Definitely moves in the pocket better. Seems to have a better feel for what is going on around him. Definitely a scarier threat tucking and running than Dak.

But the concern is the same issues he had in San Fran showed yesterday. Pretty inaccurate. Struggles with touch passes. As you said, some of his throws that were simple, easy throws he could have laid in there, he threw like Nolan Ryan. There's no question he has a skill set but my concern is that a good staff in San Fran couldn't get him to fix some of these issues. Why do people think this current staff can?
The reason we got him is because he has a lot of potential in his skill set but very little playing time overall. It can take a while for some QBs to figure it out no matter how good the staff is. (Geno Smith is one who comes to mind.)

I think the main thing he needs is snaps to see if he can get a better feel for the NFL game. There were a few nice throws by him yesterday and a few that he absolutely needed to make but didn't. Let's see if he's at the point where he can take those misses and learn from them.

It's possible, though, that being a QB who fails to understand the need for touch and whose accuracy is always an issue is just who he is. Plenty of other first-round QBs with great arm strength failed to ever develop those qualities.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
He needs to be put on the Aaron Rodgers plan and sit on the bench for about 5 years.

People thinking he can replace Dak if he leaves after this season are out of their minds.

stiletto

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't see enough really to have much hope but I am willing to give him a couple more preseason games to see if there is improvement. His accuracy bothered me the most. All over the place.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
People thinking Dak is some irreplaceable QB are even more out of their minds
Where did I state he was irreplaceable? I said there is zero chance of Lance stepping in and being successful at this point. He is a long-term project that needs to sit behind the starter and learn how to play the position.

stiletto

Reaction score
Sure but how much of that is fantasy?

The next good QB of Dallas is likely still in college. Or high school. Egads.
All of it is fantasy and hope that he replaces Dak. Not going to happen anytime soon or ever and you are right about the next QB. We may get a stop-gap vet while the rookie sits. Hopefully he is starting in college this year and not riding his bicycle around the neighborhood. lol!

Sydla

Reaction score
All of it is fantasy and hope that he replaces Dak. Not going to happen anytime soon or ever and you are right about the next QB. We may get a stop-gap vet while the rookie sits. Hopefully he is starting in college this year and not riding his bicycle around the neighborhood. lol!
If Dak doesn't get that extension, Lance is likely your QB in 2025.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Sure but how much of that is fantasy?

The next good QB of Dallas is likely still in college. Or high school. Egads.
Its a fantasy to only the impatient or Dak Stanleys.

Comparing Trey to Year 8 Dak is beyond dumb.
Yea he has been in the league 3 years now but he is the same age now that Dak was in his second season. The same season where Dak posted a whopping statline of

62% completion
3324 yds
22 Tds
13 Ints
86 passer rating

jujoboys

Reaction score
This person didn’t watched Dak after the Dez release and before the Cooper trade. If they did they would’ve never said:

“If Dak or Rush played with those same players yesterday against the players that Lance was playing against yesterday I have no doubt in my mind that Dallas would have destroyed the Rams.”
But I have watched Dak recently and the current Dak excels in destroying teams that are playing bad players. It's just when he plays the playoff caliber teams that he struggles. As much as you may hate Dak there is no way he looks as bad as Lance did yesterday. Dak is 100% a starting QB in the NFL. There are not 32 QBs in the NFL that are better than Dak. Lance doesn't even look like he is good enough to be a backup at this point.

Also, when Dak didn't have Dez or Cooper he wasn't going up against 3rd or 4th stringers. He was going against the other team's starters without those guys. We are on the same boat about moving on from Dak. Where we differ is in our opinion of Trey Lance. This is his 4th year in the league and the guy still has poor mechanics, horrible accuracy issues, and can't make decisions quickly. The only thing he does well is run. If we wanted a guy that runs well we should have traded for Justin Fields because he is a much better runner than Lance and also a better passer (not saying much when you watch Lance throw the ball).

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
This is Lance's 4th year and he's been here for a year, plenty of time to learn the playbook, he's had time to work on his reads and mechanics, he had to know going into this pre-season this would be his
"playoffs", a chance to show that he belonged, but his performance was very disappointing. He might having been playing with scrubs, but he was also playing against scrubs, vanilla offense against vanilla defense, and he's had plenty of time to prep for this moment, he's not a fresh into the league, wide-eyed late round rookie. There really aren't any excuses for him not to have looked better.

The question shouldn't be if he can develop into our starter, the question is can he even develop enough to become a quality backup QB, yesterday looked like it would be a struggle to beat out Rush for QB2. This was Lance's moment and he failed to impress, but he has a couple more pre-season games to show something.

stiletto

Reaction score
If Dak doesn't get that extension, Lance is likely your QB in 2025.
They're going to give Lance every opportunity but right now I think it would be a stretch to say they are going to automatically give him another deal.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
But I have watched Dak recently and the current Dak excels in destroying teams that are playing bad players. It's just when he plays the playoff caliber teams that he struggles. As much as you may hate Dak there is no way he looks as bad as Lance did yesterday. Dak is 100% a starting QB in the NFL. There are not 32 QBs in the NFL that are better than Dak. Lance doesn't even look like he is good enough to be a backup at this point.

Also, when Dak didn't have Dez or Cooper he wasn't going up against 3rd or 4th stringers. He was going against the other team's starters without those guys. We are on the same boat about moving on from Dak. Where we differ is in our opinion of Trey Lance. This is his 4th year in the league and the guy still has poor mechanics, horrible accuracy issues, and can't make decisions quickly. The only thing he does well is run. If we wanted a guy that runs well we should have traded for Justin Fields because he is a much better runner than Lance and also a better passer (not saying much when you watch Lance throw the ball).
This is simply not true. Dak has looked straight up awful against bad teams with bad players too

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Definitely moves in the pocket better. Seems to have a better feel for what is going on around him. Definitely a scarier threat tucking and running than Dak.

But the concern is the same issues he had in San Fran showed yesterday. Pretty inaccurate. Struggles with touch passes. As you said, some of his throws that were simple, easy throws he could have laid in there, he threw like Nolan Ryan. There's no question he has a skill set but my concern is that a good staff in San Fran couldn't get him to fix some of these issues, why do people think this current staff can?
I would have liked to see a better diagnosis of his play by him after the game. This is from dallascowboys.com:

One of those plays that Lance left out there was a fourth down play in the first quarter inside the five that Lance sailed just out of the reach of Jalen Cropper in the end zone. For him, the correction there is simple.

"Just make the throw," Lance said. "I think it's just kind of a feel. You feel it as the game progresses and I thought good decisions, bad decisions, it's things I gotta see on tape."
"Just make the throw" isn't really what you want to hear there. Every QB who misses a throw could say that. The good ones recognize the nuances that could have made the difference. Maybe Lance does, too, but his answer just wasn't a good one IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.