Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
Its a fantasy to only the impatient or Dak Stanleys.

Comparing Trey to Year 8 Dak is beyond dumb.
Yea he has been in the league 3 years now but he is the same age now that Dak was in his second season. The same season where Dak posted a whopping statline of

62% completion
3324 yds
22 Tds
13 Ints
86 passer rating
Sure but Dak had already had one really good season under his belt where he showed, at least some pretty good play.

Lance has never done it. He lost a starting job to injury, could never get it back and then even lost a backup job to Sam Darnold.

Again, this just seems like a different variant of the warm body theory we see all the time around here. People have hope for Lance for one reason - he's not Dak. That's it. It could be Mariota here instead of Lance and people would have the same hope. Why? Because he's not Dak.

Its not about comparing Year 8 Dak to Lance. That only matters if one is just looking at this season. It's very unlikely that Lance could do better than Dak this season. Long term? Who knows but people aren't criticizing Lance as a long term prospect by comparing him to Dak now. They are looking at what Lance has done to date and frankly, it's not been all that good and it got so bad that the 49ers, who have a good coaching staff, decided to cut bait after 3 seasons despite the draft capital put into Lance. Nothing he did yesterday should indicate that he's a worthy successor to Dak at this point.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Are you guys being dense on purpose?
Gee, what's dense about it? It's just a question. And a valid question, too.

We're talking about a situation in where I am being told over and over that this kid has great potential, yet the team that spent a ton of resources to acquire him ended up trading him away a for a fourth round pick after Mr Irrelevant took his job.

Ok, Lance didn't even win the #2 QB job in SF after recovering. He lost it to Sam Darnold. Why is that? Why didn't they keep Lance because of his potential? Especially when people were still wondering if Purdy was a one-year-wonder at that point?

Because it was Purdys job at that point as he didn’t lose until the conference championship.
Fair enough.

Sydla

Reaction score
They're going to give Lance every opportunity but right now I think it would be a stretch to say they are going to automatically give him another deal.
If Dak isn't resigned, who is the QB for 2025?

Rush?

Lance is likely your QB in 2025 if Dak isn't a Cowboy.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People thinking Dak is some irreplaceable QB are even more out of their minds
I can;t for the life of me figure that out.

It's how sports works. It's how a business works. It's how life itself works.

You come and go and the world goes on. Maybe better, maybe worse...but it's how it works.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

Dak looked 10x worse in this game than Trey did last night.

Yall dont remember when he almost threw a pick 6 and then followed it up with a pick 6 the next play??

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The next 2 pre-season games will tell all what the plan is with Lance this year. If he plays and gets the majority of snaps it is clear that the intent is to have him as QB2. I am not arguing what he looks like right now, it's where the team sees him before our first game. If they cut bait early on him, then there would be a waste of 3 weeks that Rush should have seen the playing time, and the last thing we need is for our backup to start the season rusty while waiting for Dak to go down with an injury, etc. Even if they keep 3 QB's Rush will need some playing time if the Lance plan doesn't have legs

jwitten82

Reaction score
Lol bro, he was bad. I think his family might have disowned him after that

stiletto

Reaction score
If Dak isn't resigned, who is the QB for 2025?

Rush?

Lance is likely your QB in 2025 if Dak isn't a Cowboy.
Some vet+a rookie QB. Vet being a stop gap for a year. Could be Rush, could be someone like Garoppolo, who knows? Whoever it is, they won't cost $60 million. That is pretty much guaranteed unless they sign Dak again like you said.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Live arm, mobile, pocket awareness, youth, good kid, potential. Did not fumble the ball over and over like Fields did for the Steelers this past weekend, no interceptions. Raw clay to be molded, I’m fine with that. As far as I’m concerned he's already the #2 qb on this team As Rush will never be all that. The kid needs to obviously play. Did I mention that he’s only 24!
lol. So he is a mobile, young, nice guy that doesn't turn the football over. Is that our new standard for our QB1? He is only 24 but he is going into his 4th year in the league and still has issues with mechanics, accuracy, and quick decision making. Most QBs aren't going to throw many interceptions when they dink and dunk or when they do throw the ball downfield the passes are so inaccurate that the WR and the defenders aren't in position to catch the ball. Lance looked terrible yesterday. Anyone that says anything different wasn't tuned into the game. I am rooting for the guy to improve and would like nothing more than for him to succeed but I am not seeing it at this point. I don't like Rush as a backup QB but at this point Lance looks like a big downgrade from Rush. I can't believe we are paying Lance $5 million. We could have used that $5 million plus the ,money we gave Zeke and purchased a decent RB.

Sydla

Reaction score
Some vet+a rookie QB. Vet being a stop gap for a year. Could be Rush, could be someone like Garoppolo, who knows? Whoever it is, they won't cost $60 million. That is pretty much guaranteed unless they sign Dak again like you said.
That vet QB will likely be Lance.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Gee, what's dense about it? It's just a question. And a valid question, too.

We're talking about a situation in where I am being told over and over that this kid has great potential, yet the team that spent a ton of resources to acquire him ended up trading him away a for a fourth round pick after Mr Irrelevant took his job.

Ok, Lance didn't even win the #2 QB job in SF after recovering. He lost it to Sam Darnold. Why is that? Why didn't they keep Lance because of his potential? Especially when people were still wondering if Purdy was a one-year-wonder at that point?

Fair enough.
This is Mickey Spagnola logic bro.

We had our own QB that was raw and on the verge of being released that was 3rd string behind Quincy and Hutch.

He needs time to develop. SF had the luxury of moving on from him because Brock Purdy was so good and got them to the Championship game. Had Purdy not pan out like he did, Trey would still be a niner

cowboybish

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.

I may have a short memory, but it seems to me. He missed too wide open throws to the corner. I’m not ready to send him down the road yet and I’m willing to give him a few more games. He certainly has the legs and can move if he can put together a halfway decent passing game, I’d throw them on the squad. Otherwise I’d let them go down the road.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The circumstances being he is actually in a game vs running around practice in shorts. he is the bobby carpenter of QB's, looks ok in practice but sucks in a game.

khiladi

Reaction score
They didn’t exercise the option. EVERYBODY is on a 1 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.