Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
I didn't notice many big guns playing for the Rams either. Of all the guys on the field last night, Lance was one of the more experienced and probably among the highest paid. To only muster 12 points when the D handed you 4 takeaways makes Lance a failure as an NFL QB and on the endangered list for a roster spot. The experiment should be over now.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That is 95% basic football of all teams. So you will be bored 95% of the time. :muttley:
I don't watch all teams could care less, I know the plays I see in the pre season vs the ones I see during the season. We're not that complicated of a team to decipher!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I didn't notice many big guns playing for the Rams either. Of all the guys on the field last night, Lance was one of the more experienced and probably among the highest paid. To only muster 12 points when the D handed you 4 takeaways makes Lance a failure as an NFL QB and on the endangered list for a roster spot. The experiment should be over now.
Wasn't big plays, but they sustained drives, guys were open, plays were made they made our young CB's look bad

Sydla

Reaction score
If we just used a 4th pick this year in this draft on him, we'd all be saying mediocre start, but first real action, wasn't horrible. People have some weird hate for the kid that I don't get.
Is that a fair comparison?

We didn't use a 4th pick on him. He also isn't a rookie. He's a veteran QB who has three seasons under his belt, started NFL games, also, granted has an injury history but also lost his backup job to Sam Darnold last year. Trying to equate his performance with that of a rookie QB making his first ever NFL start is a bit strange.

Sydla

Reaction score
They do not like facts.
Facts?

When he got healthy, he could not get his starting job back and then proceeded to lose the backup job to Sam Darnold.

Trying to compare his first 3 years in the league to the situation Aaron Rodgers faced is laughable. People are only propping him up because they are desperate for an alternative to Dak (and I get that). But if Lance rolled out that same performance say with the Giants, these same people would be laughing. It's often some of the the same group that thinks Cooper Rush could be as good. And it's not even Lance. Let's say we signed Marcus Mariota and he scuffled in preseason. They'd defend Mariotta. See it's not really genuine interest or belief that Lance has a chance to be a good QB. It's just that he represents a warm body that is an alternative to Dak. It doesn't matter who that guy actually is, just that he's not Dak and the'll cut him a lot of slack for that very reason. And I get it. I think we need a new direction at QB too. But I won't delude myself into thinking guys that are cast offs from other teams are going to do an adequate or similar or better job than Dak.

Our next QB is coming from the draft IMO. When that is? Who the hell knows with the Jones' in charge.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Proof you are more a Dak fan than Cowboys fan. Because if not, why the HELL would you care about what criticism other QBs get???
Proof of nothing. Its proof I like going 12-4 and 12-5 versus 4-12 or 5-12. It sucks to lose in the playoffs... i was in a funk of a month after the GB loss. But ill take that over having the season be over by week 5 all day everyday. Maybe you are young and juts dont understand how sports work, especually the difference between the league prior to and after the salary cap.

The cubbie and the red sox went like 100 years with no title. The Browns have never played in one, the Jets havent played in one during my lifetime.... and I could do this for many more teams. Its sports, and nothing ensures you will win one, even if you have GREAT QBs like Marino, Fouts and others.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You didn't just compare Lance to JJ did you? For that matter compare how he played to Caleb, and the guy on the WFT who is going to light it up this season Crazy times on this board
I was taking away all the BS excuses being made for Lance.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Facts?

When he got healthy, he could not get his starting job back and then proceeded to lose the backup job to Sam Darnold.

Trying to compare his first 3 years in the league to the situation Aaron Rodgers faced is laughable. People are only propping him up because they are desperate for an alternative to Dak (and I get that). But if Lance rolled out that same performance say with the Giants, these same people would be laughing.
Bingo

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Injuries. I believe someone answered that, did you miss it?
And he sat the first year. As they were playing Jimmy G.
So how long does he get a pass for injuries. He wasnt in a cast for 3 straight seasons. He returned, and never got back on the field because he isnt good enough.

jujoboys

Reaction score

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
If Dak or Rush played with those same players yesterday against the players that Lance was playing against yesterday I have no doubt in my mind that Dallas would have destroyed the Rams. Lance is not ready and may never be ready. I saw a QB using bad mechanics and making inaccurate throws. A QB that was slow on reads and decision making. A QB that seemed scared to push the ball down the field. The worst thing about his inaccurate passes was how many of them were short passes. If you have trouble hitting guys in stride that are only 5 or 10 yards off the line of scrimmage then you aren't an NFL QB.

rags747

Reaction score
Serious question... what do you see as far as potential? Please dont say he can run.
Live arm, mobile, pocket awareness, youth, good kid, potential. Did not fumble the ball over and over like Fields did for the Steelers this past weekend, no interceptions. Raw clay to be molded, I’m fine with that. As far as I’m concerned he's already the #2 qb on this team As Rush will never be all that. The kid needs to obviously play. Did I mention that he’s only 24!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trey's throws, many of the incompletions. If not dropped, were high, and too much velocity.
We will see if that is improved next game. He needs to settle that part of his game down.

Overall I liked his athletic ability, and running. Pocket presence seems better than Dak, as he did not take those unnecessary sacks. Was elusive to avoid them.
I do not want to say Romo like, as it wasn't, but was sure better than Dak. Strong arm, he did have some very nice throws, and when scrambling he kept his eyes down field.
Experienced WR's would come back to him, as these did not.

I will list him as #3 QB for now. I hope he gets the start next game.

And MM said before the game. He expected mistakes and inconsistency.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
If Dak or Rush played with those same players yesterday against the players that Lance was playing against yesterday I have no doubt in my mind that Dallas would have destroyed the Rams. Lance is not ready and may never be ready. I saw a QB using bad mechanics and making inaccurate throws. A QB that was slow on reads and decision making. A QB that seemed scared to push the ball down the field. The worst thing about his inaccurate passes was how many of them were short passes. If you have trouble hitting guys in stride that are only 5 or 10 yards off the line of scrimmage then you aren't an NFL QB.
This person didn’t watched Dak after the Dez release and before the Cooper trade. If they did they would’ve never said:

“If Dak or Rush played with those same players yesterday against the players that Lance was playing against yesterday I have no doubt in my mind that Dallas would have destroyed the Rams.”

JBS

Reaction score

But…

He was awful. Accept it and move on. He also was going up against scrubs. 4.2 ypa is beyond awful

rags747

Reaction score
Trey's throws, many of the incompletions. If not dropped, were high, and too much velocity.
We will see if that is improved next game. He needs to settle that part of his game down.

Overall I liked his athletic ability, and running. Pocket presence seems better than Dak, as he did not take those unnecessary sacks. Was elusive to avoid them.
I do not want to say Romo like, as it wasn't, but was sure better than Dak. Strong arm, he did have some very nice throws, and when scrambling he kept his eyes down field.
Experienced WR's would come back to him, as these did not.

I will list him as #3 QB for now. I hope he gets the start next game.

And MM said before the game. He expected mistakes and inconsistency.
If we only kept two qb’s who u keeping at 2? Lance or Rush? For me it’s easy, Lance.

mcmvp

Reaction score
One of the complaints in San Fran was inconsistent touch and he showed that a lot yesterday. The corner route on 4th and goal was a terrible pass. There was another play where he tried to hit the RB flaring out and he threw a 100 mph bullet when all he had to just lay it out there.

I think if you wanted to try to salvage Lance, you probably needed to just start over. McCarthy should have been sent packing. They should have reset the team, looked to trade Dak by letting his agent find a team, and then hired a good young offensive HC who could work with Lance.
Exactly. The dude is a great athlete and he would make some big plays if given the opportunity, but if you can't do the easy things on a consistent basis in your 4th year, you likely never will

eromeopolk

Reaction score

But…

Until he looks like Dak Prescott in 2016 rookie preseason games, you do not have a QB that can challenge for a starting position. Nobody doubted after preseason game no.1 that Dak Prescott could challenge Tony Romo. That is why Tony was running around in a preseason game like it was a playoff game and got back rolled by the Seahawks. Dak showed he could play and win.

That is why you draft. The get a starter or challenge a starter to start. We draft to fit holes and provide depth. Drafting and trading for depth is drafting and trading death.

Lance so far is not it and he is past the 3rd year rule.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we only kept two qb’s who u keeping at 2? Lance or Rush? For me it’s easy, Lance.
Yes. Rush will be released, signed to the PS. Then elevated for his 3 times. Then eventually added to the 53 if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.