Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loso86

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
Thank you!!

TexasBacon

Reaction score
You’re unhinged for Dak.
Your entire identity in life is being an unhinged Dak troll on an internet forum behind an anonymous profile. You must spend 30 hours plus a week on here making the same tired arguments over and over and over and acting like you're some sort of edge lord because you "keep receipts" and stuff. Dude. It's an internet forum. This has no value for your actual life. You spend an inordinate amount of time behind a keyboard trying to crucify a guy who accomplishes more in a day than you will your entire life. Go focus on your career. Or getting a career. Go put all this energy into yourself and do your mental health and general wellbeing a favor. Because right now, you're truly the only one around here who can be described as "unhinged".

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Compared to the rookie 1st rounders we saw this weekend, Lance was bad. He should have stayed in college another year. It’s not going to happen.
I think that’s the issue. I saw a lot of rookie quarterbacks and he looked worse than most of them. Which I can live with those guys being better I just wanted to see flashes and aside from his legs I don’t see it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses

he was also playing against defensive scrubs, but an inconvenient fact you did not mention.

4.7 yards per pass attempt!! seriously...he was just dumping the ball.

he sucks.

this has nothing to do with Dak. but I know you are obsessed and anything QB related turns into a Dak conversation in your head.

time to dump this chump and go draft a QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think we should at least give Lance 8 seasons.

Then maybe, MAYBE, we can judge him appropriately.

Maybe.
but then again you keep complaining as you have the past 4, 5 years that we should get rid of dak. you even complained after the 4th season. so now you want to give Lance 8 seasons? why? that's stupid. or are you a hypocrite?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I do find it a bit funny that those that are the most anti-Dak are the ones trying to preach patience with Lance.

Lance needs a lot of work. A LOT of work. He's not all that good right now.
100% and quoting some uninspiring stats to convince us Lance had an ok game, lol? Meanwhile Dak throws an INT in practice and they go crazy?

I get it that at Dak's current pay level we expect much more from him as we should, but nothing I saw from Lance yesterday tells me he can be a future starter or is on track to win the backup spot. The defense gave him 4 turnovers, I can't imagine we would win many games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Your entire identity in life is being an unhinged Dak troll on an internet forum behind an anonymous profile. You must spend 30 hours plus a week on here making the same tired arguments over and over and over and acting like you're some sort of edge lord because you "keep receipts" and stuff. Dude. It's an internet forum. This has no value for your actual life. You spend an inordinate amount of time behind a keyboard trying to crucify a guy who accomplishes more in a day than you will your entire life. Go focus on your career. Or getting a career. Go put all this energy into yourself and do your mental health and general wellbeing a favor. Because right now, you're truly the only one around here who can be described as "unhinged".
This guy is trolling. He was always going to make this post because he craves attention. If Lance played well he was gonna make posts saying Lance is gonna take Dak’s job. In case if he sucked he was gonna take the approach he did. It’s all for attention. He could’ve easily posted this in the many other threads on this site about Lance but he didn’t because he wants attention and he’s trolling.

Sydla

Reaction score
Trey's throws, many of the incompletions. If not dropped, were high, and too much velocity.
We will see if that is improved next game. He needs to settle that part of his game down.

Overall I liked his athletic ability, and running. Pocket presence seems better than Dak, as he did not take those unnecessary sacks. Was elusive to avoid them.
I do not want to say Romo like, as it wasn't, but was sure better than Dak. Strong arm, he did have some very nice throws, and when scrambling he kept his eyes down field.
Experienced WR's would come back to him, as these did not.

I will list him as #3 QB for now. I hope he gets the start next game.

And MM said before the game. He expected mistakes and inconsistency.
Definitely moves in the pocket better. Seems to have a better feel for what is going on around him. Definitely a scarier threat tucking and running than Dak.

But the concern is the same issues he had in San Fran showed yesterday. Pretty inaccurate. Struggles with touch passes. As you said, some of his throws that were simple, easy throws he could have laid in there, he threw like Nolan Ryan. There's no question he has a skill set but my concern is that a good staff in San Fran couldn't get him to fix some of these issues, why do people think this current staff can?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Trey's throws, many of the incompletions. If not dropped, were high, and too much velocity.
We will see if that is improved next game. He needs to settle that part of his game down.

Overall I liked his athletic ability, and running. Pocket presence seems better than Dak, as he did not take those unnecessary sacks. Was elusive to avoid them.
I do not want to say Romo like, as it wasn't, but was sure better than Dak. Strong arm, he did have some very nice throws, and when scrambling he kept his eyes down field.
Experienced WR's would come back to him, as these did not.

I will list him as #3 QB for now. I hope he gets the start next game.

And MM said before the game. He expected mistakes and inconsistency.
I agree that he's got to get some of those throws down and take a little heat off the ball at times. We'll see if he can.

First game action in a while, so it's understandable if he was a little high-strung. I'd like him to get out there with the "starting" group as well. I don't think we really need to see Rush. If they feel like they need to give him snaps, then bring him in later in the game to finish. Give him an opportunity to win it for the team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I can already see this thread is gonna give me lots of good ammo for this season.

Y’all hating on Lance for playing with car salesman better hope Dak plays lights out every week with the starters.
Sky is blue, Dallas wears blue...Dallas D, Dak
stars are out at night, dallas has a star, Dallas D , dak

Dak on your mind 365x24x7x60x60.

what does Lance sucking have to do with Dak? NOTHING. Lance sucks...but yeah, Dak is fogging your brain.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Not one mention of "No Thumbs" McMath.
The 4th down drop prevented a game-sealing drive.
Also, the completion to #16 should've been a TD.
The WR stepped out of bounds. A starter wouldn't have lost where he was near the sideline.
Lance wasn't great. The other QB threw 4 picks but won the game. Funny how that works. One dude is getting high-fived. The other is getting bashed in a message board...lol
But seriously, Jimmy Johnson might have left McMath in LA after the game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Some Dak stats with starters:

18-31 145 yards 3 INTs 0 TDs
20-27 179 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
28-43 216 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
14-24 153 yards 3 INTs 1 TD
18-27 212 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
21-34 181 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
18-27 212 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
wow, a Lance thread you started, turned into a Dak thread very quickly.

man you are sooooooooooooooooo obsessed!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Until he looks like Dak Prescott in 2016 rookie preseason games, you do not have a QB that can challenge for a starting position. Nobody doubted after preseason game no.1 that Dak Prescott could challenge Tony Romo. That is why Tony was running around in a preseason game like it was a playoff game and got back rolled by the Seahawks. Dak showed he could play and win.

That is why you draft. The get a starter or challenge a starter to start. We draft to fit holes and provide depth. Drafting and trading for depth is drafting and trading death.

Lance so far is not it and he is past the 3rd year rule.
Lance doesn’t get to play with his 1, 2, and 3 receivers in the preseason like Dak did.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
One was a 4th round pick.

One is what you wanted. A top 3 pick.

A top 3 pick shouldnt need his top 3 WRs to look better than Dak.

At least according to your logic.
its funny, he often chided Dak as a 4th round talent....and knocked him on that...now Lance the third overall pick SUCKED and he wrote the war and peace of excuses.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Definitely moves in the pocket better. Seems to have a better feel for what is going on around him. Definitely a scarier threat tucking and running than Dak.

But the concern is the same issues he had in San Fran showed yesterday. Pretty inaccurate. Struggles with touch passes. As you said, some of his throws that were simple, easy throws he could have laid in there, he threw like Nolan Ryan. There's no question he has a skill set but my concern is that a good staff in San Fran couldn't get him to fix some of these issues, why do people think this current staff can?
Well they did change his throwing motion and footwork some. :laugh:
I will give it some time, see any improvements next game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak is on his mind 365x7x24x60x60...if Dak leaves within a few months he will cease to exist.....

Status
Not open for further replies.