Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havic

Reaction score
I wanted to see more intermediate and longer throws from him. Nearly impossible to do with the protection as bad as it was.

He had some opportunity with open guys he didn’t see once he started scrambling he stopped looking downfield.

He has talent I just don’t know if he is going to put it together in time.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
and you clearly dont know me. U have been as critical of Dak as anyone..... except im not delusional trying to make it out like the guy that was 2nd in MVP voting is a bottom 5 qb in the league.
I don’t care what he was.

He’s a loser QB and always will be.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I pointed out in another thread his targets were to receivers not making the squad for the most part . The line play was sub par to be charitable. And wasn’t this his most extended action in over a yr ?

Let him start next game with Brooks and Tolbert at WR for at least awhile before the receiving corp goes into oblivion . Same for the running game . Get Dowdle and Lance together for at least several series . Start Guyton at LT .

And give Lance a full 3 quarters next game . Rush can mop up to end the game 4th quarter .

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
You call context "excuses" when it comes to Dak. Trey looked just as off playing with the 49ers starters, so I dont think its the talent he plays with is the problem.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I pointed out in another thread his targets were to receivers not making the squad for the most part . The line play was sub par to be charitable. And wasn’t this his most extended action in over a yr ?

Let him start next game with Brooks and Tolbert at WR for at least awhile before the receiving corp goes into oblivion . Same for the running game . Get Dowdle and Lance together for at least several series . Start Guyton at LT .

And give Lance a full 3 quarters next game . Rush can mop up to end the game 4th quarter .
so it was those receivers that arent making the team that saved his butt. They were open and his passes were at shins, above their heads and behind them. Who his receivers are was irrelevant to his performance.

pansophy

Reaction score
He will likely not get to practice squad, and if he clears wavers and gets there, that tells you all you need to know.
But if he can’t get to the practice squad then why do you think nothing of him?

John813

Reaction score
Would like to see him with some #1's/2's at some point this preseason, but I think what we saw is sort of what he is this year. Not sure if he'll ever stick around long enough to feel comfortable vs NFL level speed/defenses.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
But if he can’t get to the practice squad then why do you think nothing of him?
He stinks.... jut because other teams are desperate for a QB and would take a gamble on him like we did means noting to me. Desperation causes teams to do stupid stuff.

RonWashington

Reaction score
so it was those receivers that arent making the team that saved his butt. They were open and his passes were at shins, above their heads and behind them. Who his receivers are was irrelevant to his performance.
Receivers are “ irrelevant “ to a QB performance ? That’s a head scratcher . Why is Jerry hocking the family jewelry then to sign Lamb this summer ?

:huh:

FVSTONE

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
The O-line was horrible and major disappointment and I don't want to hear that they were 2nd, 3rd or 4th stringers because they were playing against the Rams same type of backups, Prescot would have been sacked multiple times if he was playing today.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The run game was non existent once Dowdle left . Can we put an end to the Snoop Conner era and at least give Peat touches next game . And Malik Davis was :facepalm:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It's just crazy to me how he was drafted that high. That was Lynchs biggest blunder, his one college season wasn't even that impressive
Purdy likely saved Lynch his job, to have given up so much to fail as miserably as that would have hard to overcome.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Would like to see him with some #1's/2's at some point this preseason, but I think what we saw is sort of what he is this year. Not sure if he'll ever stick around long enough to feel comfortable vs NFL level speed/defenses.

The FO knows what they have in Cooper Rush as a backup. So my guess is that there will at least be 1 or 2 games where Lance gets to work with the Cowboys starters. Although he did still get a chance to start in one of the best offensive systems and one of the best offensive rosters in the NFL when he was with the 49ers. So it can't be said that he never got a chance to throw to better WRs/TEs than what he has to work with yesterday.

Don't know if the change of scenery will help him out or if McCarthy can get something out of him that Shanahan wasn't able to.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It's still the right strategy though. Look it up, the data is there. Top picks have more success overall. Despite what happens with Lance, this team needs to draft QBs with their top picks for a couple of years.

Anything else is just a waste of time. Because all the people on other positions we might miss out on would have a smaller chance to reach (and win) the SB with a QB from the bargain bin.
You must have not seen the percentage of busts in the first round.

For every Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen. There are 20 Paxton Lynch wannabes.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Receivers are “ irrelevant “ to a QB performance ? That’s a head scratcher . Why is Jerry hocking the family jewelry then to sign Lamb this summer ?

:huh:
read I actually said.... I said his receivers were irrelevant to HIS performance. His passes sucked, and it wouldnt have mattered if he Had Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Megatron lining up for him, it wouldnt have changed the inaccuracy of his passes.

Nav22

Reaction score
I can already see this thread is gonna give me lots of good ammo for this season.

Y’all hating on Lance for playing with car salesman better hope Dak plays lights out every week with the starters.
Did Lance play against NFL starters? Or against car salesmen?

How did Dak look in his very first NFL preseason action as a ROOKIE?

You're in shambles, Angus.
:lmao2:

Status
Not open for further replies.