Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Some are incapable of being brainwashed. Simply lacking knowledge or awareness in general.
So. . . you think he is brainwashing people and because you disagree you believe you are incapable of His Hocus Pocus?

I fear asking you another direct question will lead down another Rabbit Hole

Nav22

Reaction score
Dak had a great O'line and Zeke. Fred beard...AND Zeke?

Come on. man. What the....
No, he didn't have Zeke vs the Rams. Try mediocre Alfred Morris to go with his mediocre WRs.

You tried!

Dak's clearly much better than Trey Lance and always has been. Sorry if that bothers you.
:laugh:

Flamma

Reaction score
he has been in this league for 4 years. he looked below average and lost. so lets give him more time? to do what?
I don't care if he's been in the league 20 years, he's played like 5 games. People keep bringing up his years as if standing on the sidelines gives him game experience. Besides, it's preseason, who cares if he plays or not?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm in favor of drafting a QB early in the draft, whether Dak performs well or not.

Lance looks like a long project that would be likely to end up with another team.

As far as Rush is concerned, he'll possibly be our backup for years yet to come.

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
But I was told "the Phenom" was going to "light um up" and that the "2025 QB era begins today".

Instead, I get a laundry list of excuses as to why he sucked?:huh:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I do find it a bit funny that those that are the most anti-Dak are the ones trying to preach patience with Lance.

Lance needs a lot of work. A LOT of work. He's not all that good right now.
The anti-Dakers are in full blown DAMAGE CONTROL right now after their chosen one put up 3 FGs against the sorry arse Rams.:laugh:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You think Dak balls out yesterday with those guys?

The”MVP runner up”.
Dak drops a 40 burger on those sorry arse Rams, just like he did the last time he played them.

43-20 Dallas (October 29, 2023)

Dak's stat line......25 out of 31 for 304 yds.....80% completion.......4 TDS.....1 INT......144.89 QBR

Your boy put up 3 FGs, LOL............Lance cant carry Dak's jock strap :yourock:

GINeric

Reaction score
I think we should at least give Lance 8 seasons.

Then maybe, MAYBE, we can judge him appropriately.

Maybe.

There are quarterbacks who haven't won their 1st playoff games in their first 8 seasons and eventually won a Superbowl.... and there are quarterbacks who haven't won a Superbowl in their first 8 seasons and eventually won one.

So apparently there's nothing wrong with having a quarterback who hasn't won in 8 seasons according to what has been done by others, correct? So yes, giving Lance 8 seasons is cool too.

GINeric

Reaction score
And when you say disapointing 2 and 5 playoff record what you really mean is horrendous.

Yeah. Our TEAM (and that includes Dak) played horrendous. But that still doesn't take away that Dak is still a perennial top 10 quarterback. Oh yeah.... Dak also became an All-Pro and a MVP candidate WITHOUT a functioning running game to help him.

Dak is not elite, but he's still damn good. Those quarterbacks don't just grow on trees.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yeah. Our TEAM (and that includes Dak) played horrendous. But that still doesn't take away that Dak is still a perennial top 10 quarterback. Oh yeah.... Dak also became an All-Pro and a MVP candidate WITHOUT a functioning running game to help him.

Dak is not elite, but he's still damn good. Those quarterbacks don't just grow on trees.
:hammer:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I don't care if he's been in the league 20 years, he's played like 5 games. People keep bringing up his years as if standing on the sidelines gives him game experience. Besides, it's preseason, who cares if he plays or not?
Jordan Love apparently learned something watching all those years.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jordan Love apparently learned something watching all those years.
Exactly..............the excuse making for Lance sucking is just getting comical at this point.

Dude is in his 4th year, I repeat his 4th year and his first 2.5 years he was coached by the best offensive mind in the league in Shanny.

I'm sorry, but if you get to learn under Shanny for almost 3 years and you look like that...............tossing a fade pass 10 yards out of bounds...........you suck, plain and simple.

Swagger

Reaction score
And that's fine. But the time to try that was months ago. We should have approached him and his agent months ago to seek out a trade.

But that didn't happen. Dak is the QB for at least this season.

Dak is what he is. Trying to make Lance out to be something he's not as another means to criticize Dak is just kind of funny to me. To put it another way, many here are defending Lance simply because they don't like Dak. If Dak had been traded three months ago, these same people would likely not be all that forgiving of Lance's performance yesterday.
I think the reason why some people are giving Lance more than one pre season game for the Cowboys is mainly because the 49ers gave up so much to draft him in the first round. Of course, it can be flipped on its head and those who want him out will state that well given the 49ers let him go for a 4th after giving up so much to draft him in the 1st much show that he's a bust...but there is the flip side where a QB can make a pro bowl level after being drafted early in the first two rounds and overcome injuries and a lack of opportunities in their career (Geno Smith).

Yes, many fans want Prescott gone from the Cowboys but I don't think Lance is seen as the long term answer by those fans. Lance has arguably shown traits that could make him a viable backup option especially if he's cheap!

I would like to see how a young quarterback drafted by the Cowboys in the first round does with the same team as Prescott. We have seen little drop off, if any, in the team's actual regular season results with a practice squad QB and a washed QB when Prescott was injured so I don't understand the fear and reluctance to move on. The Quincy Carter argument and going back to quarterbacks that played on bad teams 20 years ago is such a lame example. Some people do not actually appreciate how good these Cowboy teams have been with Prescott under centre.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, he didn't have Zeke vs the Rams. Try mediocre Alfred Morris to go with his mediocre WRs.

You tried!

Dak's clearly much better than Trey Lance and always has been. Sorry if that bothers you.
I never said Trey was better than Dak.

You tried....but you don;t have to lie either. Sorry if that bothers you.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Here’s the big problem for Lance - He’s not a rookie. He’s in his 4th NFL season and has played in 8 NFL regular season games and actually started 4 games. If you’ve been in the league this long and still look like a 6th round rookie, its a problem.

I‘ve got nothing against this young man. I would love to see him become a future star at QB here - even a solid backup. But honestly, what I’ve seen so far in TC and yesterday, he doesn’t have it.

Bottom line for me - I’m pragmatic as a Cowboys fan. I’m not married to the idea that Dak has to be our QB. I would love to find someone better. But I also recognize good QBs don’t grow on trees.

And I am not so desperate to replace the QB that has a 73-41 regular season record AND a disappointing 2-5 playoff record that I wear rose colored glasses about Dak or when Trey Lance plays. Lance is still very raw. He definitely has some talent and size, but after 4 years in this league if a QB is still this unpolished, he probably does not have what it takes to be a starter.

If we can find someone better than Dak I’m all for it. But I haven’t seen this FO produce someone yet on this roster that fits that description. Dak has been disappointing to say the least in the playoffs. But so has the whole team. From what I’ve seen of Trey Lance so far, we havent found Dak’s successor.
:hammer:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I never said Trey was better than Dak.

You tried....but you don;t have to lie either. Sorry if that bothers you.

Dak is QB1 and gets almost all the snaps with the 1s.

But Lance is clearly a gifted athlete.

The kid needs reps with the 1s.

Hanging out with the 2s 3s isn’t the same.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Compared to the rookie 1st rounders we saw this weekend, Lance was bad. He should have stayed in college another year. It’s not going to happen.
Good point. Not even up to snuff compared to this year’s first round QB crop. And he has 3 more years on them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has a star on his helmet, so I'm pulling for him too.

But this is his 4th year.

How many QBs in the history of the league still look totally clueless by year 4 and wind up becoming great NFL starters?

Dak tossed 36 TDs and 9 INTs last year. Over 4,500 pass yards and nearly 70% comp pct. Nobody can be confident that Trey Lance can fill those shoes in the near future.
He did not look clueless. Only to some haters and some die hard Dak fans.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Lance reminds me a lot of Quincy Carter that first year they threw him out to the wolves and not ready to be an NFL player yet. Same jittery pocket presence, limited ability to read defenses, accuracy issues….tries to wing it with athleticism and strong arm.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lance needs work.. nuff said.. I didn't have any expectations either way coming into the game. I watched wanting to see what the kid has. I came away thinking he's a decent athlete with a decent arm but he's got a long long way to go to be an NFL QB even as a backup. But it was his first time seeing live bullets in like two years. It will take time.. I'm willing to watch and see what it looks like next week and then again the week after. Up to this point he looks like the "emergency quarterback" for 2024. He has two weeks to change that assessment.
How did the 9ers think he would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.