Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nav22

Reaction score
Dak had Dez, Williams, and Beasley his first preseason game.

Dak had his 1, 2, and 3 receiver.

The more you know.
Right, Dak would've had garbage pocket presence and would've been sailing passes over the heads of receivers if he wasn't throwing to washed Dez, mediocre Terrance and Beasley the midget.

Keep humiliating yourself, Angus. I can't figure out why nobody takes you seriously!
:lmao2:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Lance needs work.. nuff said.. I didn't have any expectations either way coming into the game. I watched wanting to see what the kid has. I came away thinking he's a decent athlete with a decent arm but he's got a long long way to go to be an NFL QB even as a backup. But it was his first time seeing live bullets in like two years. It will take time.. I'm willing to watch and see what it looks like next week and then again the week after. Up to this point he looks like the "emergency quarterback" for 2024. He has two weeks to change that assessment.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
It was a battle of scrubs. I can't imagine any QB going out there and looking good with that offensive line and WRs. Rams had their scrubs in too but they definitely manhandled our offensive line. Lance was under pressure or flushed out of pocket on nearly every throw. Combine that pressure with WRs that looked like they had no clue what was going on, can't get open and can't catch and the results will be what you saw.

That said, Lance looked pretty bad in a vacuum. He's not likely going to be as good as Dak, but the thing is, that's fine too, because Dak isn't good enough to get us where we want to go either. So, nothing has changed...we still need to draft a QB in the first round and have them compete with someone. Maybe that's Lance, but more likely a vet free agent.

Dak won't be here after this year unless we get to a nfccg, so Dak won't be here after this year.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It was a battle of scrubs. I can't imagine any QB going out there and looking good with that offensive line and WRs. Rams had their scrubs in too but they definitely manhandled our offensive line. Lance was under pressure or flushed out of pocket on nearly every throw. Combine that pressure with WRs that looked like they had no clue what was going on, can't get open and can't catch and the results will be what you saw.

That said, Lance looked pretty bad in a vacuum. He's not likely going to be as good as Dak, but the thing is, that's fine too, because Dak isn't good enough to get us where we want to go either. So, nothing has changed...we still need to draft a QB in the first round and have them compete with someone. Maybe that's Lance, but more likely a vet free agent.

Dak won't be here after this year unless we get to a nfccg, so Dak won't be here after this year.
Dak fans are vastly overreacting to this game because they want Lance to fail because they, for some reason, think that's going to make Dak not chase the money next off season.

Lance wasn't bad. He protected the ball, was our leading rusher, and was trying to pass to people that won't be on a NFL roster in a month.

He'll be better next game and the Dak over Dallas fans will be back into panic mode.

Proof

Reaction score
Speaking of gyms and honesty....that was 4 solid "regular" nfl seasons, right?
uhh no, which is the entire point lol. he’s been beat out by a veritable who’s who of nobodies. he’s widely considered a bust, and none of that stems from his most recent opportunity. thanks for chiming in though, steve.

Sydla

Reaction score
Like some people hate Lance.

He may or may not make it...cool. but we can't cheer him on along the way can we?
I think the "hate" for Lance is more because people are propping him up as a legitimate alternative to Dak at this point, which is kind of preposterous.

I think the Cowboys need to move on from Dak. I said it post GB debacle. But because I want the Cowboys to go in a different direction I am not going to be delusional enough to try to make out Lance to be something he is not just so I can throw more dirt on Dak's grave. Lance is what he is - a talented kid who struggled immensely at times in San Fran and was so far gone that he lost his backup job to Sam Darnold and even the 49ers offensive coaching staff couldn't salvage him.

Could he work out? Sure. I am generally curious to watch him over the rest of the preseason. But the reality is he's not as good as Dak and Dak is still in a Cowboys uniform. So until that changes Dak is the best option at this point. If that's just for one more year and Dak is allowed to walk in FA, fine by me.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak fans are vastly overreacting to this game because they want Lance to fail because they, for some reason, think that's going to make Dak not chase the money next off season.

Lance wasn't bad. He protected the ball, was our leading rusher, and was trying to pass to people that won't be on a NFL roster in a month.

He'll be better next game and the Dak over Dallas fans will be back into panic mode.
I am not a Dak fan. I have been clear since the GB game that they should have gone to him and his agent and tried to get them to look for trade options. I am completely disinterested in arguments about whether he should be signed or let walk after this year. The Cowboys need a new direction IMO.

That being said............... propping up Lance as some viable alternative seems odd to me. Again, if this were the Giants and the Giants fans were trying to convince themselves Lance is a viable replacement for Daniel Jones, there is little doubt many of the Cowboys fans talking up Lance would be laughing their ***** off at the Giants. Lance gets leeway here for one reason and one reason only - he's not Dak. And that's the irony here - you are claiming the Dak fans are putting Lance down because they are protecting Dak, but you are only talking about Lance as a viable replacement because you don't like Dak.

Proof

Reaction score
How many teams beat the Eagles that season and didn't they reach the Superbowl?
fair enough. he looked especially bad though, and never looked particularly good. it was an exposing. rush is a competent backup and weathered the storm marvelously, but expecting it to last the course of an entire season is an extremely tall order.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol please tell me where the lie is. All those numbers can be verified
You missed a season. He also started two games in 2021.

He was 31-52 for 441 yards and 2 TDs/2 Ints in the two games he started in 2021.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Like you overreacting to Daks interceptions in training camp last season?

How come no threads on Lance throwing a pick party in camp?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
What I didn't like was that he didn't make it definitive in my mind that he was head and shoulders above Rush. The physical talent is clearly better, but the stuff between his brains and his touch and accuracy left something to be desired.

He didn't slam the door on the Cooper Rush experiment. I found that disappointing.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Lance definitely moves like an NFL QB... His athleticism isn't in question...

But we need to see a better performance from the pocket in the coming games

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What I didn't like was that he didn't make it definitive in my mind that he was head and shoulders above Rush. The physical talent is clearly better, but the stuff between his brains and his touch and accuracy left something to be desired.

He didn't slam the door on the Cooper Rush experiment. I found that disappointing.
The accuracy issues are going to stick around until he stops trying the guide the ball to the receiver and just learns to let it rip. But "guiding" comes with lack of familiarity and confidence. Hopefully over the next two weeks he can make strides in that department. For the most part I thought McCarthy gave him throws a good high school QB could make and he was hit or miss with them. He's got to be better to take up a roster spot on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.