Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asklesko

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
The copium is strong with this one.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Here’s the big problem for Lance - He’s not a rookie. He’s in his 4th NFL season and has played in 8 NFL regular season games and actually started 4 games. If you’ve been in the league this long and still look like a 6th round rookie, its a problem.

I‘ve got nothing against this young man. I would love to see him become a future star at QB here - even a solid backup. But honestly, what I’ve seen so far in TC and yesterday, he doesn’t have it.

Bottom line for me - I’m pragmatic as a Cowboys fan. I’m not married to the idea that Dak has to be our QB. I would love to find someone better. But I also recognize good QBs don’t grow on trees.

And I am not so desperate to replace the QB that has a 73-41 regular season record AND a disappointing 2-5 playoff record that I wear rose colored glasses about Dak or when Trey Lance plays. Lance is still very raw. He definitely has some talent and size, but after 4 years in this league if a QB is still this unpolished, he probably does not have what it takes to be a starter.

If we can find someone better than Dak I’m all for it. But I haven’t seen this FO produce someone yet on this roster that fits that description. Dak has been disappointing to say the least in the playoffs. But so has the whole team. From what I’ve seen of Trey Lance so far, we havent found Dak’s successor.
73-41........ you and myself are in the exact same spot. Im not ready to just dismiss 73-41 for Lance... it would be 41-73 if we were lucky.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
The question is how many bad NFL teams can go 5-1 with a practice squad QB including beating a solid yardstick in the Vikings and the Bengals with Burrow? My answer would be zero so the point isn't that Rush is the long term solution but that Prescott isn't as he isn't the difference maker some would have you believe. The Cowboys must have had a good/very good team to go 5-1 with a practice squad QB unless it was the coaching?! Therefore, Prescott is not indespensible and that's the pertinent point.
Preach! :hammer::clap:

JustChip

Reaction score
I can already see this thread is gonna give me lots of good ammo for this season.

Y’all hating on Lance for playing with car salesman better hope Dak plays lights out every week with the starters.
Playing with “car salesman” isn’t the full reason for his poor play. He was consistently threw Danny White medicine balls from the very first pass. Adrenalin can factor into that early in the game; we’ve seen it from Dak and Tony. But once the game settles in, the passes come down.

I’m no film guru, but what I did see in the times they provided replay views, what I saw was Lance with horrendous footwork. Like throwing to the right side, but his left leg stepping straight ahead and even slightly to the left. The only time you see s baseball pitcher do that is on a pickoff to 1st. There’s a reason they complete a pitch with the lead leg going towards home. That has zero to do with playing with who he played with.

I’m not a fan of players. I’m a fan of the Cowboys. It doesn’t matter to me whether it’s Dak or Lance or Rush, as long as whomever gives the team the best chance to succeed this year. And it certainly tain’t Lance. I was anticipating what this new toy would bring and now it’s clear.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
“I don’t need to hear about playoffs” - Dak fans.
absolute garbage,.... Im not a Dak fan. I was ready to cut him after the GB game, but I also remember the days of Quincy Carter and the other bums we had between Aikman and Romo. Last season, even with the playoff exit was infinitely more enjoyable than that 5-11 season we had when Romo went down.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
How much of that was spent injured. He could be a practice squad guy and maybe turns into a #2 at some point.
He will likely not get to practice squad, and if he clears wavers and gets there, that tells you all you need to know.

Sydla

Reaction score
The question is how many bad NFL teams can go 5-1 with a practice squad QB including beating a solid yardstick in the Vikings and the Bengals with Burrow? My answer would be zero so the point isn't that Rush is the long term solution but that Prescott isn't as he isn't the difference maker some would have you believe. The Cowboys must have had a good/very good team to go 5-1 with a practice squad QB unless it was the coaching?! Therefore, Prescott is not indespensible and that's the pertinent point.
Small nit, Rush wasn't 5-1 that year, he was 4-1. Dak was the QB for the Vikings game in 2022.

Small samples can't be extracted out to full seasons. But if you think Lance can go out there and win 8-9-10 games this year, have at it.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You certainly don't crown Lance as anything with that performance yesterday, but I completely agree that many are too quick to write him off at this point. The accuracy issues have to get cleaned up if he ever wants to be anything more than depth in this league. There is a lot that I liked from Lance yesterday, but it doesn't matter if he can't throw a simple ball into the flat, or be a real threat to complete a pass more than 20 yards.

His pocket awareness and ability to always keep his head looking downfield is excellent though. From his film in SF this is an area he really seemed to struggle. Overall though good mobility, the guy has some natural strength in that arm to flick it downfield with ease. The guy also just looked like he was in control and understood the Xs and Os of the game. Lots to work with here, the question is do the Cowboys have time to actually work with him?

The real concern I would have if I'm the Cowboys is can this be a player who is the QB2 because you really want your backup to be able to run the same offense as your starter, just maybe a slightly abbreviated form of it. We know Cooper Rush can do that. Lance in this first preseason game shows that he probably needs an offense more catered to his current skill set. I get the feeling the guy can play in this league, but clearly isnt ready to be a drop back QB. I see him as really being his best with a lot of misdirection in the run game, rolling pockets, and a lot more RPOs.
The league did him no favors drafting him that way. He was a guy who could have benefitted from going to another league & gotten a couple years of heavy experience then brought onto an NFL roster.

Like you, I see some positives but I have my doubts the potential will ever get fully unlocked.

rags747

Reaction score
Here’s the big problem for Lance - He’s not a rookie. He’s in his 4th NFL season and has played in 8 NFL regular season games and actually started 4 games. If you’ve been in the league this long and still look like a 6th round rookie, its a problem.

I‘ve got nothing against this young man. I would love to see him become a future star at QB here - even a solid backup. But honestly, what I’ve seen so far in TC and yesterday, he doesn’t have it.

Bottom line for me - I’m pragmatic as a Cowboys fan. I’m not married to the idea that Dak has to be our QB. I would love to find someone better. But I also recognize good QBs don’t grow on trees.

And I am not so desperate to replace the QB that has a 73-41 regular season record AND a disappointing 2-5 playoff record that I wear rose colored glasses about Dak or when Trey Lance plays. Lance is still very raw. He definitely has some talent and size, but after 4 years in this league if a QB is still this unpolished, he probably does not have what it takes to be a starter.

If we can find someone better than Dak I’m all for it. But I haven’t seen this FO produce someone yet on this roster that fits that description. Dak has been disappointing to say the least in the playoffs. But so has the whole team. From what I’ve seen of Trey Lance so far, we havent found Dak’s successor.
4th nfl season but still only 24! Was he great no, but I see lots of potential.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Arron Rodgers had 0 starts entering his 4th year with 1 TD and 1 INT.

Don’t be dense.
Dense is trying to compare a HOF in Rodgers who was sitting behind a HOF like Favre. Oh damn, Steve Young also rode the pine upon coming to the NFL... maybe Lance is Steve Young.....lol

Lance was as bad as you could be. The Rams QB, even with his 4 picks was way better. He at least hit guys down the middle and led a last minute TD drive.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The league did him no favors drafting him that way. He was a guy who could have benefitted from going to another league & gotten a couple years of heavy experience then brought onto an NFL roster.

Like you, I see some positives but I have my doubts the potential will ever get fully unlocked.
what were the positives you see. He is fast.. to me that is no positive. He was born fast, so what.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dense is trying to compare a HOF in Rodgers who was sitting behind a HOF like Favre. Oh damn, Steve Young also rode the pine upon coming to the NFL... maybe Lance is Steve Young.....lol

Lance was as bad as you could be. The Rams QB, even with his 4 picks was way better. He at least hit guys down the middle and led a last minute TD drive.
Okay, Dak fan.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, so Lance gets excuses? Nice.
And if he looked great, the dislikers would say it was all vanilla and against scrubs.
I have not read any other posts further than the first 4. I am sure there are chest thumper Trey hate over team success posts.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score

I'm desperate to replace Dak. He's a money pit. A net drag and loss as regards the SB. Anytime invested him is time invested in NOT being in the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.