Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Playing with “car salesman” isn’t the full reason for his poor play. He was consistently threw Danny White medicine balls from the very first pass. Adrenalin can factor into that early in the game; we’ve seen it from Dak and Tony. But once the game settles in, the passes come down.

I’m no film guru, but what I did see in the times they provided replay views, what I saw was Lance with horrendous footwork. Like throwing to the right side, but his left leg stepping straight ahead and even slightly to the left. The only time you see s baseball pitcher do that is on a pickoff to 1st. There’s a reason they complete a pitch with the lead leg going towards home. That has zero to do with playing with who he played with.

I’m not a fan of players. I’m a fan of the Cowboys. It doesn’t matter to me whether it’s Dak or Lance or Rush, as long as whomever gives the team the best chance to succeed this year. And it certainly tain’t Lance. I was anticipating what this new toy would bring and now it’s clear.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.... we have a winner. I am a COWBOYS fan. I like our players, but the second they change teams, I dont care.When Emmitt could no longer get it done, bye bye my friend. I dont care who the QB is. I just want the guy that gives us the best chance to win, and that is very easy to see. Those of us that have been fans for 40 plus years, thats the way it is. So please never call me a Dak fanboy or a hater, Im neither. Now, how much you should be willing to pay him is a different discussion.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
To me, it looked like there *might* be some potential there if he can get the passes down. That one simple thing would have made a huge difference. I am not sure I remember correctly, but did I read something about the coaches changing some of his throwing mechanics this offseason? In his limited time in college/nfl has he had a history of high passes?

If that potential is there, it still looks like it's a long ways off. I'm still curious to see more though.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do find it a bit funny that those that are the most anti-Dak are the ones trying to preach patience with Lance.

Lance needs a lot of work. A LOT of work. He's not all that good right now.
Not pointing fingers but the same can be said for the most pro-Dak members being the toughest on the young QB. Lets ALL remember it was pre-season game #1

Swagger

Reaction score
Small nit, Rush wasn't 5-1 that year, he was 4-1. Dak was the QB for the Vikings game in 2022.

Small samples can't be extracted out to full seasons. But if you think Lance can go out there and win 8-9-10 games this year, have at it.
I am aware but he was 5-1 including the game the previous season when he stepped in and won but yes 4-1 over the same season. Where have I stated that Lance could go out there and win 8, 9 or 10 games in the regular season?

It's not a stretch to state that Rush could have won at least 10 games the season he went 4-1 and he's a practice squad QB.

Another example...Andy Dalton had a higher winning % than Prescott in completed games during the same season when he played for the Cowboys with an even worse O-Line. Again, it's a small sample size but we have a practice squad QB and a washed QB with a higher winning % than Prescott in the same season.

What's Dak Prescott's play off record like and more importantly, his actual performances in those games? Would they be horrific in relation to how much he's paid?

This is why fans have seen enough of Dak Prescott for the Dallas Cowboys. Let him show how amazing he is for the Raiders, Saints or Broncos.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not pointing fingers but the same can be said for the most pro-Dak members being the toughest on the young QB. Lets ALL remember it was pre-season game #1
Well I was advocating for getting rid of Dak earlier in the preseason and also think Lance is so raw that even thinking he could replace Dak at this point is folly.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is why fans have seen enough of Dak Prescott for the Dallas Cowboys. Let him show how amazing he is for the Raiders, Saints or Broncos.
And that's fine. But the time to try that was months ago. We should have approached him and his agent months ago to seek out a trade.

But that didn't happen. Dak is the QB for at least this season.

Dak is what he is. Trying to make Lance out to be something he's not as another means to criticize Dak is just kind of funny to me. To put it another way, many here are defending Lance simply because they don't like Dak. If Dak had been traded three months ago, these same people would likely not be all that forgiving of Lance's performance yesterday.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Ive never been a Dak guy, but give me a break. 36tds and 9 picks. Thats all I need to say. I dont want to hear about playoffs because guys that havent done squat in th eplayoffs dont get the same criticism Dak gets. Ill take 1st rd exits over 6-11 seasons all day, cause that is where we would be with Lance as our starter. And I didnt need to see yesterday to come to that conclusion. Ive been saying it since the day we got him.
Proof you are more a Dak fan than Cowboys fan. Because if not, why the HELL would you care about what criticism other QBs get???

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Well for starters he's been playing behind a guy who has b**** slapped Dak every time they squared off for the last couple of seasons, so there's that

Yet couldn't succeed in the same offensive system that allowed Purdy and the 49ers to win those games against Dak and the Cowboys. That same system even had Jimmy G going to the NFC Championship game. Yet Lance couldn't manage to keep a job in with the same offensive Shanahan system that has gotten 2 other 49ers QBs to the NFC Championship game? Also Lance lost out his back up spot to Sam Darnold.

Dak has has some bad playoff games. Yet that doesn't change the fact of Lance struggling to keep a job in one of the best systems a QB could have to work with in the NFL. And he had great offensive roster to work with while he was playing for the 49ers. So all of his struggles can't completely be contributed to him not having starters or better players to work with, than what he had in yesterday's preseason game.

Lance has a couple of more preseason games to show what he has. And I expect he'll get a chance to work with the starters in one of those games. So if he doesn't show signs of improvement, it can't be put on him playing with scrubs,

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
They will use the 1st pick in 2025 on a RB.

Get used to the Lance / CooperB / Guyton look.

These three could be here for a decade.

Lance showed a lot of good work yesterday.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we just used a 4th pick this year in this draft on him, we'd all be saying mediocre start, but first real action, wasn't horrible. People have some weird hate for the kid that I don't get.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zbMNA3m.png

exciter

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
Lol,
He has no concept or feel of how to play QB, much less QB in the NFL.
If he has any future playing football it’s in a flag football league!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same vanilla offense that we'll be using during this season. Three WR's to one side, Boring!!! Same inside run plays up the middle, BORING, same Bootleg plays BORING
That is 95% basic football of all teams. So you will be bored 95% of the time. :muttley:

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The Vikings rookie QB was 11-18 for 180 something yards and two TDs and he wasnt throwing to Justin Jefferson.

There was not a single positive that I can take away from what we saw from Lance. His passes were crap. Even his completions were at the shins, way up high, or behind receivers. He was indecisive which is the worst thing a qb can be. The reports Ive seen the entire training camp was that he was incredibly inaccurate. Well, those reports were 100% accurate. I suspect he will get the same amount of playing tim ein the next 2 games, and if he looks like this, he will be cut.
You didn't just compare Lance to JJ did you? For that matter compare how he played to Caleb, and the guy on the WFT who is going to light it up this season Crazy times on this board

Status
Not open for further replies.