Laramey Tunsil & a $40 Million Dollar Offensive Line

Verdict

Reaction score
Why? Because the team hasn't invested a premium draft pick in the position? They invested a 4th rounder in Stephen McGee and got zero to show for it. Nada, nothing. But, I know, easier to bag on the player than to question the coaching he received.

Romo was 'developed' and the starter before any of these guys ever got here. They inherited him, they didn't develop him. His foundation and fundamentals were set in place by far better coaches.

The fact is that Wade Wilson did have a 1st round draft pick to work with when he was in Chicago, so this notion of 'nothing to work with' is false. He turned that into Rex Grossman. But, I know, easier to bag on the player than to question the coaching he received.

And are we really expected to believe that these coaches 'desperate pleas' for help at quarterback are simply being mocked and laughed at by 'evil Jerry Jones'? C'mon! The fact is that these guys are signing off on each and every quarterback that passes through here, and all have been terrible failures.

It's time to stop continuing to point fingers at player-after-player - who have actually had success in the league - for the failures in Dallas and instead look at the factors that continue to remain constant.

I don't have enough evidence to come to the conclusion that we are inept at developing a QB. Obviously that is subjective and you have a right to your opinion, and maybe your opinion is correct.

I do not believe that you can attribute Romo's success to Parcells or Payton. Both have been gone too long. I have seen numerous examples of teams falling apart immediately after a coach leaves a team. Coaching isn't necessary permanent, or cumulative, although it can be to some degree.

Romo's best years have been post Parcells and post Peyton. I am not saying that you can't give them some credit for finding Romo, but developing him is another story. I'm not all pro Garrett, but I think Garrett should be credited with Romo's development to a large degree. I'm not sure how you can isolate Garrett as a non beneficial factor out of his involvement during the early Romo days.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You keep thinking that while the rest of us laugh at you for playing the fool. Completely outclassed by more knowledgable fans at every turn, but apparently not smart enough to know it.

:lmao:

You couldn't be more delusional. LOL You think Tunsil would be the best choice at #4 overall for the Cowboys. Not one mock draft has the team taking him. All the experts who know football don't have Tunsil going to the Cowboys if he's on the board because of all the reasons I've given. You and the rest who think Tunsil would help the Cowboys more than any player in the draft are outclassing me and those who understand the draft??? :laugh: You're making yourself look more ridiculous with every post. You and the other armchair FANS who keep lobbying for Tunsil don't have a clue what the draft is about. The Cowboys have an opportunity with the highest pick the franchise has had since the early 90s to add an impact player to their biggest area of need and you and a few others want them to keep adding to their strongest area their OL which is stronger than any team in the entire NFL....hilarious! The Cowboys aren't going to draft Tunsil even if he's there the odds are 80% they'll draft a defensive player with their first pick and 20% chance it will be a QB. You won't be looking me up after we make our pick on draft day but I know I'll be looking you up if you dare show up here that day. :D

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Or the fact is that you simply spew out statements and then try to blame other people for "misunderstanding" them?

Yeah, I'm gonna go with that. The fact is that it's easy to see that the only thing you're good for is starting baseless, unsupported arguments with people all over this board.

I make statements that are thorough and clear to anyone who's capable of comprehending and doesn't have an agenda. You have no choice but to go with what I said you have no way of refuting it. The debate started with you misinterpreting another one of my posts thinking I wanted to replace Lee with the #4 overall pick or you were just looking to start an argument. All my arguments are supported by facts which is why when it's all said and done I end up being right and FANS like you end up being wrong.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have enough evidence to come to the conclusion that we are inept at developing a QB. Obviously that is subjective and you have a right to your opinion, and maybe your opinion is correct.

I do not believe that you can attribute Romo's success to Parcells or Payton. Both have been gone too long. I have seen numerous examples of teams falling apart immediately after a coach leaves a team. Coaching isn't necessary permanent, or cumulative, although it can be to some degree.

Romo's best years have been post Parcells and post Peyton. I am not saying that you can't give them some credit for finding Romo, but developing him is another story. I'm not all pro Garrett, but I think Garrett should be credited with Romo's development to a large degree. I'm not sure how you can isolate Garrett as a non beneficial factor out of his involvement during the early Romo days.

Mainly because he wasnt here. Garrett didn't get here until 2007, after Romo had already learned enough over 3 years to have already established himself as a starter.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Actually, the inverse is true. If you eliminate all of the weak links in your offensive line it is exponentially better than a line with 4 pro bowlers and one sub par player.

I don't think you know what exponentially means.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Draft Tunsil, play him at right tackle, enjoy the OL dominance for 2-3 years and then trade him (or Tyron) for a freaking first round pick. Maybe that's the year Romo retires and we use that extra first rounder to move up and take Aikman 2.0

Verdict

Reaction score
He hasnt overspent in several years because he hasnt had the money. He hasnt had the money because of all the years he overspent. Didn he just resign Dez to some ridiculous contract? How about the DT that hasnt panned out? Witten is getting how much right now? Finally getting Wares money off the books? How about a breakdown of player salaries for the year. We have marginal talent, yet we are up against the cap every year. How do you get that way if not by spending poorly?

The three lineman in question will be garnering 8-10 million per year when they are resigned at least. That is 30 million. Then add in the price of Smith and Tunstil. Way over 40 million for the line. So what is it exactly that I am wrong about? The math? What?

Actually, I think they have been frugal because they have chosen to be. They actually extended Hardy a pretty significant contract. We aren't in cap hell. If we aren't signing big deals, it is not because we CAN'T, it is because we don't choose to.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Actually, I think they have been frugal because they have chosen to be. They actually extended Hardy a pretty significant contract. We aren't in cap hell. If we aren't signing big deals, it is not because we CAN'T, it is because we don't choose to.

We are up against the cap. They couldnt if they wanted to. In fact, they had to restructure a few contracts this year just to get a enough money to do what little we did.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the NFL has been and consistently will continue to legislate defense out of the game. Unless the player you're considering taking is a literal generational talent on defense, it makes more sense to continue to pump resources into the offense.

Ball control and being able to score a ton of points will always win in a league where bumping into a guy after 5 yards on the complete opposite side of the field from the actual play is an automatic first down -- especially when WRs and TEs are so fast that they can get more than 5 yards down the field in barely a second.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Draft Tunsil, play him at right tackle, enjoy the OL dominance for 2-3 years and then trade him (or Tyron) for a freaking first round pick. Maybe that's the year Romo retires and we use that extra first rounder to move up and take Aikman 2.0

We already enjoy OL dominance.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We already enjoy OL dominance.

Hardly. They're overrated and Free is the weak link,,, with an untested Chaz Green as backup no less. Imagine the world of hurt this team would be in if Tyron went down. Now imagine how awesome they'd be with Erik Williams 2.0 taking over for Free. Run right, run left, run up the middle,,, or pass, no problem! The opposing defenses would have no choice but to load the box and guess which side it's going to.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hardly. They're overrated and Free is the weak link,,, with an untested Chaz Green as backup no less. Imagine the world of hurt this team would be in if Tyron went down. Now imagine how awesome they'd be with Erik Williams 2.0 taking over for Free. Run right, run left, run up the middle,,, or pass, no problem! The opposing defenses would have no choice but to load the box and guess which side it's going to.

gotta love the people that say things like "If Tyrone smith went down" or "without Dez our receivers are weak". You cant analyze a team thinking your best players are going to get hurt.

We were the best rated Oline in football last year. That is not overrated that is a fact. So McFadden will average 4.8 instead of 4.6 yards per carry? Its called diminishing returns.

Imagine how bad our defense will continue to be if we take Tunstil?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
gotta love the people that say things like "If Tyrone smith went down" or "without Dez our receivers are weak". You cant analyze a team thinking your best players are going to get hurt.

We were the best rated Oline in football last year. That is not overrated that is a fact.

Then don't follow that logic. Just think of this: Free is halfway out of the league already, is injury prone, it doesn't matter how dominant the other 4 guys are....they aren't RTs. Free's replacement needs to come soon, and I don't want us bringing in nothing but average players because "What about muh cap!?"

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Then don't follow that logic. Just think of this: Free is halfway out of the league already, is injury prone, it doesn't matter how dominant the other 4 guys are....they aren't RTs. Free's replacement needs to come soon, and I don't want us bringing in nothing but average players because "What about muh cap!?"

That is all you need with the 4 studs we have. An average guy over there. How many years in a row are you taking an Olinman with the first pick before the rest of our team sucks? Oh wait, the rest of the team does suck. If you really want to pump up the line, draft a stud RB to run behind it. That will do more for the line than another first round pick.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You can always move our pro bowl guard over to RT and put an average guard in the middle of the line.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With the QBs off the board and the pot concerns with Bosa, Elliott has come into strong play if we stay at #4.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

We were the best rated Oline in football last year. That is not overrated that is a fact. So McFadden will average 4.8 instead of 4.6 yards per carry? Its called diminishing returns.

try to think a little past the shallow end of the pool. the domino effect of losing Tyron would be catastrophic because of the 10 story drop in talent and effect on multiple positions. Tunstil would also be an asset, a high dollar commodity that could be cashed in when needed. I might take Ramsey over Tunstil, but Bosa doesn't look like he's on the same tier.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
That is all you need with the 4 studs we have. An average guy over there. How many years in a row are you taking an Olinman with the first pick before the rest of our team sucks? Oh wait, the rest of the team does suck. If you really want to pump up the line, draft a stud RB to run behind it. That will do more for the line than another first round pick.

If there was a better player than Tunsil on the board, I would choose that player over him.

Who is better than Tunsil, who just 2 weeks ago was projected to be the first player off the board? The one scouts have proclaimed to be the best player in this draft regardless where he's taken? You wanting there to be better players at 4 doesn't make it so. You take BPA, not a DE who has drug issues when we are already having problems with this. So who? Ramsey? If Tunsil is there at 4, it will mean Ramsey is gone.

It's coming down to Bosa, Ramsey, or Tunsil IF we don't get a trade down offer. Let me guess...another Elliott fan?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If there was a better player than Tunsil on the board, I would choose that player over him.

Who is better than Tunsil, who just 2 weeks ago was projected to be the first player off the board? The one scouts have proclaimed to be the best player in this draft regardless where he's taken? You wanting there to be better players at 4 doesn't make it so. You take BPA, not a DE who has drug issues when we are already having problems with this. So who? Ramsey? If Tunsil is there at 4, it will mean Ramsey is gone.

It's coming down to Bosa, Ramsey, or Tunsil IF we don't get a trade down offer. Let me guess...another Elliott fan?

No not elliott. Tunsil is definitely the best on the board, but if there was ever a not need, that would be it. I dont see how taking him makes us that much better. And the money down the line wouldnt fit. We would lose someone. So you are basically using the pick to rent a guy for 3 years. Because someone has to go. Cant pay all 5 guys what they are worth. I would rather take a guy like Ramsey and have him in a huge area of need for the next 10 years.

Bosa? I'm not a big bosa fan. We need a dominant pass rusher and he isnt it from I can see. But sadly I think he is going to be the pick. I love elliott, but wouldnt take him at 4. I would move back and take him.