Laramey Tunsil & a $40 Million Dollar Offensive Line

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You do realize how many top 4 QBs have won a superbowl in the last decade. .......their last name is Manning

I do. And I also realize how many were first rounders. I'm not hung up on what number they were drafted, as much as what round. The research numbers are based on round drafted, not number within that round.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Playing the percentages. They work against you the longer you wait.

I think we can both agree we want what's best for our team. We need talent in many levels and personally I don't care who we draft just get the picks right and hopefully they help win some championships

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I do. And I also realize how many were first rounders. I'm not hung up on what number they were drafted, as much as what round. The research numbers are based on round drafted, not number within that round.

So taking a Lynch and picking up ammo for more players isn't as good as getting a QB that won't play for years? I get that Lynch won't be ready for a couple years either but your getting more players to help. If they feel Wentz or Goff will win rings then take them but I want to maximize our picks.

If they feel the top 3 are pretty close but see Lynch as the higher upside then get him. ......since we have a QB for a few more years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So taking a Lynch and picking up ammo for more players isn't as good as getting a QB that won't play for years? I get that Lynch won't be ready for a couple years either but your getting more players to help. If they feel Wentz or Goff will win rings then take them but I want to maximize our picks.

If they feel the top 3 are pretty close but see Lynch as the higher upside then get him. ......since we have a QB for a few more years.

I'm not sure that I give Romo as much time as you do.

And again, let me say that I don't dislike Lynch the player, I dislike the coaches we have and their inability to coach other quarterbacks. And that influences my opinion and desire to have the most pro-ready prospect I can get. In short, it's about the coaches, not the rookie.

Verdict

Reaction score
This assumes we can draft a franchise QB? That's a wildcard but on the whole, I agree. The problem is that you can't know if you will be in a position to draft a decent QB in the next 3 to 5 years. That's a real problem. If we have to pay for one, then I don't think it will be cheaper. The price tag for a JAG QB is even expensive. This doesn't even count the cost associated with upgrading the DL. It's a difficult position to be in for sure.

Quite honestly, we will have to draft Romo's replacement, OR get a castoff that has potential from another team. Teams aren't giving up a top 10 QB as a general rule. So while it is cheaper than getting a franchise QB through free agency, it is just about the only way you get one period.

So, yes, I think when Romo retires or gets cut, his replacement will likely cost less than Romo does now.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's easy to pass him up when you consider we already have the top OL in football and that we're never going to get anywhere until we start adding some impact players to the defense. You can't just keep putting resources into an area of great strength when we have holes all over the DL and at corner. I don't care how good you make the offense it's never going to be good enough to overcome the defense we have. Lee had two concussions last season and one more could retire him and once you get past him we have virtually no playmakers. When you have the 4th overall pick you have to address a weakness with the pick and they'll be defensive players there that could help us.

Never draft for need. Draft BPA. If it lines up with need, all the better. Reaching for a player based on need wastes a pick, and doesn't fill a hole. I'll pass on that theory.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not only this but up the middle pressure is where most QBs have trouble. Shoring up the middle is probably even more important then the edge.

Very good point. Pressure up the middle is far more disruptive than pressure off of the edge, but harder to accomplish.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
As opposed to the self-proclaimed 'genius' of Internet guys like you. Solving the world's issues from Mom & Dad's basement!

You've been reduced to this. lol You're frustrated we get it! I'm just going to wind you up even more.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You keep telling yourself that. Even when everyone else tells you it's terrible. Fight the good fight!

Do you think I care what a bunch of FANS who are wrong 90+ percent of the time think? lol :laugh:

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I give Romo as much time as you do.

And again, let me say that I don't dislike Lynch the player, I dislike the coaches we have and their inability to coach other quarterbacks. And that influences my opinion and desire to have the most pro-ready prospect I can get. In short, it's about the coaches, not the rookie.

I'll agree with part of your post. No one knows how much longer Romo will play. It might be 3 minutes into the next game or 5 to 6 more years. Neither are all that likely. The probability is that the realistic probability is 3 years plus or minus 1 year.

But arguably that is also true of most established QBs, including Brady, Brees, Rivers, Ruthlessraper, etc. It is a risk to fail to draft one. But there is also some element of risk in drafting a player and having him sit behind Romo for 5 years and have to give him a second huge contract without knowing if he can even play, and in reality you didn't get any performance out of him during his first contract. So it isn't really that clear cut. The Cowboys can **** themselves no matter which way they go.

I'm not really sure why you think the Cowboys didn't develop Romo. Romo has played his best football the past few years. He hasn't played for any other team, so who else do you think developed him?

We really haven't given the Cowboys a lot to work with at QB in terms of numbers, or talent to develop since Romo took over. I would say the jury is out on that one too. You might actually be right on that issue, but I don't see how you can arrive at that conclusion and have any confidence in that conclusion when we really haven't done much to try to develop one other than Romo.

As a side note, how much different would people's opinons be if Green Bay hadn't given Rodgers his chance and he got out of Green Bay (which he wanted to do at one point due to lack of opportunity) or if after being cut Farve won another Lombardi at another location after Green Bay cut him. Either were entirely possible.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And there's the backtrack!

If I'm backtracking provide the post with me punching holes in these QBs? See how easy it is to corner you? lol You want me to go back to find what I said but you won't dare provide my quote because everyone we'll see you either misunderstood my post or have an agenda.

Verdict

Reaction score
This just re

This is good but the problem is more nuanced.

These represent just the explicit costs in drafting Tunsil and paying our line.

But what about implicit costs? There are laws of diminishing returns to adding talent to our offensive line. What's the opportunity cost in missing out on a defensive playmaker? What's the team building lost opportunity to trading down?

I'm fine with the explicit cost of adding Tunsil.

I am not fine with the implicit cost of adding Tunsil.

Actually, the inverse is true. If you eliminate all of the weak links in your offensive line it is exponentially better than a line with 4 pro bowlers and one sub par player.

Verdict

Reaction score
And I'm totally cool with that. If he's not there, he's not there. But I'm not taking a throw-in "3rd" round pick to "drop down a few spots" so someone else can get the best player in the draft and solve their left tackle position for the next decade. I'll draft him before I give him away.

Again, it had better be a great deal. I'm not moving down and giving up the draft's top player just to move down. I had a season worthy of the #4 overall pick, and it sucked. Unless I get a great offer, I'm rewarding myself with the draft's best player.

Well said.

Verdict

Reaction score
Gotta say I disagree with that.

Minnesota got a 4th, 5th and 7th to move from #3 to #4 in 2012, and I'd most definitely not consider that giving away Tunsil if Jacksonville offered that.

According to the trade value chart, dealing with Baltimore should net us a 3rd, so that by definition is not a throw in. Dealing with SF should get us a third and a fifth and I would not consider it a throw in either. While I'd love to have a bidding war that causes someone to over pay, I'd gladly accept market value over taking a guy that does not make us significantly better due to him playing a position of strength.

He would be replacing Free, not any of the 4 pro bowl caliber OL, right? He wouldn't sit on the bench for 5 years and get all dusty and lethargic.

Verdict

Reaction score
Gotta say I disagree with that.

Minnesota got a 4th, 5th and 7th to move from #3 to #4 in 2012, and I'd most definitely not consider that giving away Tunsil if Jacksonville offered that.

According to the trade value chart, dealing with Baltimore should net us a 3rd, so that by definition is not a throw in. Dealing with SF should get us a third and a fifth and I would not consider it a throw in either. While I'd love to have a bidding war that causes someone to over pay, I'd gladly accept market value over taking a guy that does not make us significantly better due to him playing a position of strength.

The number of picks sound great, but quite honestly, if the Cowboys view him as the top player in the draft, I probably wouldn't make the trade unless I got more than market value.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Never draft for need. Draft BPA. If it lines up with need, all the better. Reaching for a player based on need wastes a pick, and doesn't fill a hole. I'll pass on that theory.

This is one case where the Cowboys have to draft for need with that first pick. When you're drafting #4 overall you're not having to reach when three DEs are rated in the top 12 players by most. We could trade down and pick up an extra pick and still have a shot at two of those DEs. We can't pass up a player that could help give us a pass rush for another O-lineman when our OL is the strength of the team. The whole point of the draft is to try and strengthen you're weaknesses and the Cowboys are weak on the DL. Why can't some of you get that? You can't win games consistently in the NFL without a pass rush.

Verdict

Reaction score
40 million no way. You are going to pay those 3 guys an average of 8 million per year of you are lucky. Lets call it 10 million. Thats 30 million right there without Smith in there. He will be at 10 million. Thats 40 million for 4 guys.

And lets not forget the Jerry Jones factor. He will be overspending in other places so that will leave us with a 50 million dollar Oline, Romo, Dez and 10 million left over for the other 50 players. LOL

I am not sure that anything you said was right in this post. This OL get top dollars as it gets resigned. Jerry hasn't overspent in several years. Several. The year we signed Carr was the last one where we spent big in FA. We have been very small players in free agency since then, by choice.

Verdict

Reaction score
This is one case where the Cowboys have to draft for need with that first pick. When you're drafting #4 overall you're not having to reach when three DEs are rated in the top 12 players by most. We could trade down and pick up an extra pick and still have a shot at two of those DEs. We can't pass up a player that could help give us a pass rush for another O-lineman when our OL is the strength of the team. The whole point of the draft is to try and strengthen you're weaknesses and the Cowboys are weak on the DL. Why can't some of you get that? You can't win games consistently in the NFL without a pass rush.

They can draft for need, and it usually results in drafting Shante Carver types. You don't ever draft for need unless it lines up with BPA. At least good teams don't. If you reach, you miss, you waste a pick, and then repeat the process.