Laramey Tunsil & a $40 Million Dollar Offensive Line

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Just like with Jack. Tunsil does not seem to be on the radar. Haven't seen anything where they have talked to him, met with him, had him come in for a visit. I would think like Goff, if they were interested, they would fly out to meet with him. But since they have not, I don't think he is in play.

Then again, we didn't meet with Claiborne before drafting him and took him anyway, so if it happened like that once, it could conceivably happen again. Just saying . . .

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Just the thought of assembling "The Greatest OL ever"..... and running the football more than anybody in the league. Pounding the rock........ wearing down the defense....morally beating teams into submission, with the running attack......

now, that's football!

If the QBs are gone. Tunsil or EE.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Then again, we didn't meet with Claiborne before drafting him and took him anyway, so if it happened like that once, it could conceivably happen again. Just saying . . .

Hopefully they learned from that mistake....fingers crossed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Hopefully they learned from that mistake....fingers crossed.

I wasn't inferring that it would necessarily be a mistake -- just saying that it's not out of the realm of possibility that it may happen again.

I think that Bosa is considerably more likely to be our pick at #4, however. I doubt the FO wants to invest that much on the OL right now.

Tunsil, to me, seems closer to a sure thing in terms of his talent than Claiborne ever was but that remains to be seen in the years to come.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No not elliott. Tunsil is definitely the best on the board, but if there was ever a not need, that would be it. I dont see how taking him makes us that much better. And the money down the line wouldnt fit. We would lose someone. So you are basically using the pick to rent a guy for 3 years. Because someone has to go. Cant pay all 5 guys what they are worth. I would rather take a guy like Ramsey and have him in a huge area of need for the next 10 years.

Bosa? I'm not a big bosa fan. We need a dominant pass rusher and he isnt it from I can see. But sadly I think he is going to be the pick. I love elliott, but wouldnt take him at 4. I would move back and take him.

Except many have argued Ramsey and Bosa won't make much of an impact. You can make this argument for every prospect that's there. You take the BPA, end of story. Tunsil IS a need. People need to stop pretending every other O-line position is the RT. It's not and IT IS a need.

And you don't know if we will lose someone in 3 years. We may lock up every single one of our lineman. You don't pass on a freakin' player because there MIGHT be cap issues in the future. That argument is already getting tiring.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Except many have argued Ramsey and Bosa won't make much of an impact. You can make this argument for every prospect that's there. You take the BPA, end of story. Tunsil IS a need. People need to stop pretending every other O-line position is the RT. It's not and IT IS a need.

And you don't know if we will lose someone in 3 years. We may lock up every single one of our lineman. You don't pass on a freakin' player because there MIGHT be cap issues in the future. That argument is already getting tiring.

Tunsil is not a need. You are making things up. No one in Dallas is taking Tunsil if we are on the clock. And if you want to avoid the cap issue, go ahead. Lets just hope our brass doesnt think like you do.

So if we draft Zeke this year and next year we have a top 5 pick you are taking the back again? Give me a break. If you dont enter the draft at least thinking somewhat about need, then your just plain blind. Nobody blindly picks BPA without taking into consideration the strength of their team. Unless you suck everywhere. And when you already have the best line in all of football and you have taken 3 Olineman in the last 4 years and have another first round talent along with that you would be just plain blind to do it again.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

How is RT a need? We have free who is just fine with this line and then we took a tackle in the 3rd round last year. We have two good backup guards on this team and we could always have our pro bowl guard move out to tackle in a year or two if need be. There is NO need what so ever on the oline. Ever heard of the word overkill?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Tunsil is not a need. You are making things up. No one in Dallas is taking Tunsil if we are on the clock. And if you want to avoid the cap issue, go ahead. Lets just hope our brass doesnt think like you do.

So if we draft Zeke this year and next year we have a top 5 pick you are taking the back again? Give me a break. If you dont enter the draft at least thinking somewhat about need, then your just plain blind. Nobody blindly picks BPA without taking into consideration the strength of their team. Unless you suck everywhere. And when you already have the best line in all of football and you have taken 3 Olineman in the last 4 years and have another first round talent along with that you would be just plain blind to do it again.

Our tackles right now: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Chaz Green, Charles Brown, Justin Renfrow. Chaz Green is injury prone and pretty much a ghost, Doug Free is aging/injury prone/ and will be out of the league in 2 years. RT IS A NEED, whether you find it to be a lesser need than other positions, I don't care. It is a need, simple as that.

Need DOES play a factor in this, I never stated it doesn't. But when you have the BPA at your fingertips and it fills a need, you take that damn player. I'm not even entertaining the idea of taking Elliott anymore. Take that to the numerous threads of circlejerking. I'll be laughing when we pass on him at 4 and you're all left wondering why we didn't take him, even though we've given clues we won't be using high picks or big money at the RB position.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
How is RT a need? We have free who is just fine with this line and then we took a tackle in the 3rd round last year. We have two good backup guards on this team and we could always have our pro bowl guard move out to tackle in a year or two if need be. There is NO need what so ever on the oline. Ever heard of the word overkill?

Doug Free: Had surgeries, multiple injures, in his thirties, on a short contract, will be out of the league soon. Who is behind him? Scrubs.

I mean, why am I needing to explain this?

LT - Fine
LG - Fine (Depending if Collins continues to improve)
C - Fine
RG - Fine
RT - Not fine

The other four positions don't change who we have at RT.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Let's also hope that they're not simply drafting for 'need' as you would.

So if we draft Zeke this year and next year we have a top 5 pick you are taking the back again? Give me a break.

Does a team start five running backs like they start five offensive linemen? If not "give me a break" with the apples to oranges comparisons.

If you dont enter the draft at least thinking somewhat about need, then your just plain blind. Nobody blindly picks BPA without taking into consideration the strength of their team. Unless you suck everywhere. And when you already have the best line in all of football and you have taken 3 Olineman in the last 4 years and have another first round talent along with that you would be just plain blind to do it again.

No more 'blind' than passing on an elite talent for a good one.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is RT a need?

What's with this fixation on 'need'? Drafting based solely on need is a recipe for failure. You pass up great for good.

We have free who is just fine with this line and then we took a tackle in the 3rd round last year.

"Just fine". Yeah, why get the top prospect in the draft when you can have "just fine". The weak link in your line, targeted by every opponent. And the "tackle we took last year" is an injured bust at this point and nothing more. Closer to Jacob Rodgers than a factor.

We have two good backup guards on this team and we could always have our pro bowl guard move out to tackle in a year or two if need be. There is NO need what so ever on the oline. Ever heard of the word overkill?

Sure, because offensive linemen are just 'plug and play'. Just put 'em wherever you need 'em! And they'll be "just fine".

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Our tackles right now: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Chaz Green, Charles Brown, Justin Renfrow. Chaz Green is injury prone and pretty much a ghost, Doug Free is aging/injury prone/ and will be out of the league in 2 years. RT IS A NEED, whether you find it to be a lesser need than other positions, I don't care. It is a need, simple as that.

Need DOES play a factor in this, I never stated it doesn't. But when you have the BPA at your fingertips and it fills a need, you take that damn player. I'm not even entertaining the idea of taking Elliott anymore. Take that to the numerous threads of circlejerking. I'll be laughing when we pass on him at 4 and you're all left wondering why we didn't take him, even though we've given clues we won't be using high picks or big money at the RB position.

Sorry buddy, but RT is NOT an immediate need. We will be fine for another year with what we have. And that will give Green a shot to show what he can do. And even if we had neither Green or Free it still would not be a BIG NEED. All we would need is to go out in FA and get a half decent RT. You do not NEED to use a top 4 pick on one. That us just ridiculous. Absolutely 100% ridiculous. Especially considering how weak this team is in other areas.

And I wont be circle jerking wondering why we didnt take him. Ill be watching our #1 oline dominate the NFL without him for the next 4 or 5 years. Then be happy as a clam when we resign all 4 studs we have.

And I already said I dont want to take Zeke at 4. Try reading the entire post before you rant. But...........taking Zeke would be a hell of a better option than taking Tunsil. Taking Tunsil would be the 100% must dumb move this franchise could make. 100% no question about.

Just think we can go from the best Oline in football to........................................ready for it?......................wait for it?..................the best Oline in football!!!!

Cmon, give me a break already.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Doug Free: Had surgeries, multiple injures, in his thirties, on a short contract, will be out of the league soon. Who is behind him? Scrubs.

I mean, why am I needing to explain this?

LT - Fine
LG - Fine (Depending if Collins continues to improve)
C - Fine
RG - Fine
RT - Not fine

The other four positions don't change who we have at RT.

The other 4 guys change what we need at RT. We dont need a pro bowl RT. All we need is a guy that can hold his own. Unless of course he can rush the passer and cover receivers. Then by all means take him.

Then there is the option to move our pro bowl guard to tackle if need be. We have plenty of solid backup guards on this team do we not?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What's with this fixation on 'need'? Drafting based solely on need is a recipe for failure. You pass up great for good.

"Just fine". Yeah, why get the top prospect in the draft when you can have "just fine". The weak link in your line, targeted by every opponent. And the "tackle we took last year" is an injured bust at this point and nothing more. Closer to Jacob Rodgers than a factor.

Sure, because offensive linemen are just 'plug and play'. Just put 'em wherever you need 'em! And they'll be "just fine".

Im surprised you are advocating taking Tunsil at 4. Who in the world uses a top 4 pick for a RT by the way? Maybe if we needed a LT which we dont. Are you just saying this because you dont like the other guys we could get at 4?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Let's also hope that they're not simply drafting for 'need' as you would.

Does a team start five running backs like they start five offensive linemen? If not "give me a break" with the apples to oranges comparisons.

No more 'blind' than passing on an elite talent for a good one.

Im all for BPA, but not an another lineman. I would be with you at any other position besides Oline. NO ONE takes Oline 4 out of 5 years with their first round pick. No one. That would be finding a new way to NOT build a team.

Jenky

Reaction score
Im all for BPA, but not an another lineman. I would be with you at any other position besides Oline. NO ONE takes Oline 4 out of 5 years with their first round pick. No one. That would be finding a new way to NOT build a team.

Agreed and not to mention, Collins may end up getting that starting gig at RT eventually.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Sorry buddy, but RT is NOT an immediate need. We will be fine for another year with what we have. And that will give Green a shot to show what he can do. And even if we had neither Green or Free it still would not be a BIG NEED. All we would need is to go out in FA and get a half decent RT. You do not NEED to use a top 4 pick on one. That us just ridiculous. Absolutely 100% ridiculous. Especially considering how weak this team is in other areas.

And I wont be circle jerking wondering why we didnt take him. Ill be watching our #1 oline dominate the NFL without him for the next 4 or 5 years. Then be happy as a clam when we resign all 4 studs we have.

And I already said I dont want to take Zeke at 4. Try reading the entire post before you rant. But...........taking Zeke would be a hell of a better option than taking Tunsil. Taking Tunsil would be the 100% must dumb move this franchise could make. 100% no question about.

Just think we can go from the best Oline in football to........................................ready for it?......................wait for it?..................the best Oline in football!!!!

Cmon, give me a break already.

It doesn't matter if you think we will be fine for another year. We discussing NOW and who the prospects are at 4. The likely players there are 4 that are projected top 5: Bosa, Ramsey, Jack (Though he is sliding), and Tunsil.

As I said, I DO NOT CARE if you feel RT is a lesser need than DE/CB/Safety, RT is a need regardless. Tunsil is considered by most scouts to be the best prospect at his position, up until the Rams trade, he was projected to be the first player off the board in most mock drafts. So it comes down to this: You discuss PROSPECTS. New prospects aren't randomly going to pop up in the next 7 days, you work with what is there. If Tunsil is there at 4, that means Bosa or Ramsey was taken. Tunsil would EASILY be the best prospect at 4 and RT is a need. So not only are we filling a need, we are getting the best prospect in the entire draft.

The rest of what you are saying is nonsense after this being explained to you. This discussion should be over, but you'll still attempt to argue.

Jenky

Reaction score
There hasn't been a single hint that Collins will ever be at RT. Our staff seems to want him at guard. Another discussion that should have ended months ago.

I must have missed that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in light of personnel changes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im surprised you are advocating taking Tunsil at 4. Who in the world uses a top 4 pick for a RT by the way? Maybe if we needed a LT which we dont. Are you just saying this because you dont like the other guys we could get at 4?

Partly that, partly because I think getting what is widely-believed to be the draft's top player at #4 overall does make sense.

I'm not hung up on LT or RT, both are important. And if one got hurt, the other is capable of replacing him without the line falling apart.

I understand it's not the 'glaring hole' like at the defensive end position, but I also understand that while Bosa is a good player, Tunsil is a great one.

At #4, I prefer great to good. I'll get good in round 2 and later!
:laugh: