Latest Forbes Teams Valuations - Cowboys Still On Top By A Lot

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Question: What is operating income...
link

Operating income is an accounting figure that measures the amount of profit realized from a business's operations after deducting operating expenses such as wages, depreciation, and cost of goods sold (COGS).​
Operating income—also called income from operations—takes a company's gross income, which is equivalent to total revenue minus COGS, and subtracts all operating expenses. A business's operating expenses are costs incurred from normal operating activities and include items such as office supplies and utilities.​

..and why is the Cowboys over twice of Any other team in the league?
Jerry Jones has created revenue streams that greatly outproduces all of his individual competitors' revenue sources (e.g. other teams).

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

tenor.gif

Jerry succeeded in his goal

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Attending a Cowboys game is an event.
More like a spectacle, it's literally like going to a 3-ring circus. Going to games back in the 70's and 80's was a totally different atmosphere - you showed up, watched the game, then went home. Todays games are way over the top with their pomp and circumstance, and I just don't see the appeal. I understand that this is probably what the fans of today expect, but I didn't grow up on the WWE entertainment model and never got used to it. It just isn't for me.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just announcing your opinion as correct doesn't make it fact, and it's no way to support your argument.
You and others are the ones arguing. I made my opinion known, and you all are coming at me turning it into an argument.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet you don't have a shred of evidence that it's a myth.
The evidence is, why would an owner not care about winning. You make more money when you win.

I guess I think differently, than others, in a good way.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The evidence is, why would an owner not care about winning. You make more money when you win.

I guess I think differently, than others, in a good way.
You keep trying to deflect by saying fans like us claim he does not care about winning. Which is BS
Sure he wants to win and would love to hoist another Lombardi
he is just not willing to take the steps to do a better job of getting another because he would rather make less money then give up control and not be able to claim the lions share of the credit
It has been said many times by many people that Jethro only wants to win HIS way.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You thought wrong again. What’s new
You may want to look at your sources and information again.

31st in 2024? Okay.
But actually 11th in 2023. Not near the bottom.
And 2022? 29th.
2021? 2nd.
2020? 3rd.

This is something that ebbs and flows.

The other site you posted with the 10+ year view was including far more than what actually ends up on the team (90 man rosters, etc.), and clearly pointed to no correlation between those numbers and winning.

So, I'm not sure what your real argument would be.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You keep trying to deflect by saying fans like us claim he does not care about winning. Which is BS
Sure he wants to win and would love to hoist another Lombardi
he is just not willing to take the steps to do a better job of getting another because he would rather make less money then give up control and not be able to claim the lions share of the credit
It has been said many times by many people that Jethro only wants to win HIS way.
100% correct.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just wish enough fans who are fed up would stop attending games where the attendance starts to drop off enough where the Joneses get questioned about it. Nothing would get their attention more than that and no longer topping the Forbes revenue list.
I think many of them have and end up selling their tickets to opposing fans.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just wish enough fans who are fed up would stop attending games where the attendance starts to drop off enough where the Joneses get questioned about it. Nothing would get their attention more than that and no longer topping the Forbes revenue list.
It will take much more than a significant drop in ticket sales for the franchise's valuation to meaningfully drop on Forbes' list.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry cares about winning. But he cares about being GM and winning “his” way more than “just” winning.

And he doesn’t know how to win and he is too arrogant to step aside and try something else.
Nailed it. @jazzcat22 was right in saying Jerry cares about winning because it leads to more revenue. He wants a Super Bowl more than anyone I don’t care what anyone says. He just fails to realize that his way hasn’t worked in about 30 years and is too stubborn, proud or narcissistic to realize it.

Robster8989

Reaction score
There is no one doubting that Jerry is a tremendous business mind.
Look at these numbers, they're impressive, and much of that is Jerry's doing.
In fact the whole league has benefitted from Jerry's business acumen.

The issue that Cowboy fans have is that Jerry seems incapable of setting his ego aside for the good of the team (and franchise).
What he needs to do is understand that yes, he is a brilliant businessman, and he should continue to pursue the business side of the NFL and continue to increase the valuation of the franchise, but that he is not a brilliant NFL GM.
He needs to bring in a professional. Look at Kroenke and the Rams. Stan is a brilliant businessman too, but he understands that being a brilliant businessman does not necessarily translate into being a brilliant football GM, so he brought in a professional team, Snead and McVay, to be those football experts. That championship that they won, along with Kroenke's vision for the new stadium and the move back to LA, is what has the Rams so high on this list. Imagine where the Cowboys would be with a professional football management team that led them to another title.
The 2 times in Jerry's years that he had a football professional running things were the most successful years for the franchise during Jerry's tenure as owner. From 89-93 with Jimmy, and from 2003-2006 with Parcell's.
So that is the frustration.
Yes, Jerry is undoubtedly a brilliant business mind, and he deserves credit for that, but he is not a brilliant football manager. He is incapable of setting his ego aside, and admitting that, and that, more than anything, is why we are now 29 years from our last Super Bowl title. I'll add that it's highly likely that Jerry's successor, Stephen, shares Daddy's ego, and will also likely not bring in football pros, and that scares me, as I believe Stephen is no where close to Daddy as a business mind. The franchise will likely continue to get the bad side of Jones' ownership, but without the good that Jerry's business acumen brings.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It will take much more than a significant drop in ticket sales for the franchise's valuation to meaningfully drop on Forbes' list.
I’m sure of that but seeing a drop in attendance would signify interest in the team amongst the fan base is starting to wane. That followed by a drop in merchandise sales would certainly get the Joneses attention. Once a few arrows start pointing down that’s a sign significant changes need to be made on how the team is being run. You can’t just remain status quo and expect to remain on top of these lists.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
More like a spectacle, it's literally like going to a 3-ring circus. Going to games back in the 70's and 80's was a totally different atmosphere - you showed up, watched the game, then went home. Todays games are way over the top with their pomp and circumstance, and I just don't see the appeal. I understand that this is probably what the fans of today expect, but I didn't grow up on the WWE entertainment model and never got used to it. It just isn't for me.
Everything about the NFL these days is like a 3-ring circus including the draft. It’s all about generating fan interest. There’s a lot going on to keep fans attending games regardless how their team is performing. Attending games is almost like attending a concert.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Nailed it. @jazzcat22 was right in saying Jerry cares about winning because it leads to more revenue. He wants a Super Bowl more than anyone I don’t care what anyone says. He just fails to realize that his way hasn’t worked in about 30 years and is too stubborn, proud or narcissistic to realize it.
I say he has made a deliberate decision to do it his way or not at all
That means anyone claiming he wants to win more than anything is full of it

HungryLion

Reaction score
Exactly right.

Being an effective boss/owner means HIRING the right people to get the job done for you.

But Jerry has been unable/unwilling to do that since Jimmy left. And I think it’s safe to say his ego has a negative effect on his ability to do so.

It’s kind of sad really because if Jerry did step aside, revamp the front office and then the team won the Super Bowl. Many fans would be like

JERRY IS THE MAN FOR HIRING THAT GM!!

Myself included lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sure of that but seeing a drop in attendance would signify interest in the team amongst the fan base is starting to wane. That followed by a drop in merchandise sales would certainly get the Joneses attention. Once a few arrows start pointing down that’s a sign significant changes need to be made on how the team is being run. You can’t just remain status quo and expect to remain on top of these lists.
Any drop in attendance is directly tied into ticket sales. How detrimental a drop in ticket sales is bound tightly with the reseller market, which a measurable portion of non-Cowboys fans make their purchases.

Any sizable drop in merchandise sales would necessitate a large-scale, organized rejection of the brand's appeal. A continuous downward plunge in franchise's appeal would take a decade or longer to make any realistic difference without artificial assistance.

Nothing is ever too big to fail. However, it will take much more than chipping away at Jerry Jones' Frankenstein money maker to make him blink. Perhaps his kids in the long run but not him. He would simply go into PT Barnum mode to offset minor losses impacting his revenue streams.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly right.

Being an effective boss/owner means HIRING the right people to get the job done for you.

But Jerry has been unable/unwilling to do that since Jimmy left. And I think it’s safe to say his ego has a negative effect on his ability to do so.

It’s kind of sad really because if Jerry did step aside, revamp the front office and then the team won the Super Bowl. Many fans would be like

JERRY IS THE MAN FOR HIRING THAT GM!!

Myself included lol
Typically, narcissists have egos that are the last kind to change. Jones' unwillingness to try another person at GM for a year, month, week or even a day for decades is Exhibit A of his particular type of ego.

I think it is fair saying the average person's ego would have changed long ago. Probably multiple times.