Latest Jaylon Smith tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldoputty

Reaction score
"He's already regained some dorsiflexion strength, no longer has foot drop, and his push-off is almost full."

Those weren't idle thoughts qualified as pure uninformed speculation. That was a clear and unequivocal claim to knowledge of Jaylon's current health status.

ahhhhhh both reported if you believe it

walking around without brace = some dorsiflexion strength, no longer has foot drop
cutting = push-off is almost full

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ahhhhhh both reported if you believe it

walking around without brace = some dorsiflexion strength, no longer has foot drop
cutting = push-off is almost full

Here's the most I've seen by Smith on his most recent progress:

"You guys can't see exactly what I'm doing and how well I'm doing," Smith said. "But it's just a great feeling getting out there working and running.

"I'm running, sprinting, doing linebacker drills. I'm doing so much."
I don't know if that's enough to justify Doc's interpretation or not, but at least it sounds pretty hopeful to me.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

"You guys can't see exactly what I'm doing and how well I'm doing," Smith said. "But it's just a great feeling getting out there working and running.

I don't know if that's enough to justify Doc's interpretation or not, but at least it sounds pretty hopeful to me.

That answer he provided was after he was asked about his knee.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score

Actually I recall Smith saying he was cutting.
That was one of the things he could do recently but not before.
Fuzzy may remember which article/interview

windjc

Reaction score
I imagine Gil probably asked Jaylon straight up on his progress. I doubt Gil asked nothing the entire dinner and then just pulled a wild guess out of his butthole.

waldoputty

Reaction score
That's what the guy who had dinner with JS said he was doing.... can't remember his name. Former cowboys vp

I think I remember Gil Brandt talking about the cutting also.
Remember what the Doc said, someone with that relatively-low level of injury has a predictable type of good recovery if he rehabs right and meeting milestones - this is based on results from thousands of patients...
I dont think any of us worry about Jaylon's dedication, he of squatting some ungodly amount of weight ~3 months after surgery.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are his comments related to his knee or nerve (by extension, "drop foot")?

I'm assuming he was referring generally to his legs. What makes you think he'd make a distinction? Either he's running, sprinting, and doing lb drills or he isn't. You need both knees and ankles for those things, don't you?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'm assuming he was referring generally to his legs. What makes you think he'd make a distinction? Either he's running, sprinting, and doing lb drills or he isn't. You need both knees and ankles for those things, don't you?

Because he was specifically asked about his knee. That's how that works.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I imagine Gil probably asked Jaylon straight up on his progress. I doubt Gil asked nothing the entire dinner and then just pulled a wild guess out of his butthole.

I think that is where the week 14 guesstimate came from.
My guess is Jaylon is not fully recovered, otherwise it would be big news.
They may be waiting till the last position day to decide on activating Jaylon.
Even after activation, he is probably still not 100%.
So they have to decide whether the possibility of Jaylon playing later in the season is worth risking that roster spot.
This uncertainty, and wanting Jaylon to rehab in peace, is probably why even Jerry is keeping thing hush with no press conferences announcing he was right.

If/when Jaylon is fully recovered, I can imagine the hype.
Right now, Cowboys have plenty of hype going on with 5-1, Romo/Dak, Zeke
Romo/Dak may already be a distraction to Dak - note the 2 fumbles and interception last game.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
But the knee is connected to the rest of the leg. That's how that works. You don't run and cut and sprint on the knee if you're unable to do those things for another reason anyway.

And if someone asked how his headache was and he said "fine," that would somehow mean his drop foot is gone because his head is connected to his torso, which is connected to his pelvis, which is connected to the leg that has a foot on the end of it.

Sounds like a perfectly sound extension of logic.

He can run and cut with an AFO brace for the foot, which is exactly what he's been doing.

He was asked about his knee and his response was regarding his knee.

To assume he was talking about his foot when asked about his knee is textbook interpolation.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
AFO is needed to keep the foot from falling in walking.
The foot fall is due to paralysis of the muscle.
The same muscle is needed for cutting because I believe it needs to turn the foot sideways?

The doctor's input is needed here.
All this stuff has been reported, but we may just be too ignorant to understand the implication.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if someone asked how his headache was and he said "fine," that would somehow mean his drop foot is gone because his head is connected to his torso, which is connected to his pelvis, which is connected to the leg that has a foot on the end of it.

Sounds like a perfectly sound extension of logic.

He can run and cut with an AFO brace for the foot, which is exactly what he's been doing.

He was asked about his knee and his response was regarding his knee.

To assume he was talking about his foot when asked about his knee is textbook interpolation.

Now you're just being silly.

Not all that interested in parsing this one. If the dude says he's running and doing drills and making good progress, I'm going to assume he's talking about his entire injury and not just part of it. If you're more comfortable thinking he's talking about the knee only and not the rest of his legs, well, you're burrying your head in the sand for reasons I can't even begin to understand.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
AFO is needed to keep the foot from falling in walking.
The foot fall is due to paralysis of the muscle.
The same muscle is needed for cutting because I believe it needs to turn the foot sideways?

The doctor's input is needed here.
All this stuff has been reported, but we may just be too ignorant to understand the implication.

The injury to the knee causes paralysis to the muscle in the foot that affects dorsiflexion, which is why he needs an AFO. His leg is not and was not paralyzed. He did however tear two ligaments (I'm not sure exactly which ones) which is what I think some folks are forgetting that he is also rehabbing like any other player with the same knee injury.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Now you're just being silly.

Not all that interested in parsing this one. If the dude says he's running and doing drills and making good progress, I'm going to assume he's talking about his entire injury and not just part of it. If you're more comfortable thinking he's talking about the knee only and not the rest of his legs, well, you're burrying your head in the sand for reasons I can't even begin to understand.

Jaylon's knee was almost healed up in April for the tendon repair.
He has been saying his knee is good for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.