Latest Jaylon Smith tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
What I remember is Jaylon has been saying that his knee has been fine for quite a few months.
Way before any mention of making cuts, which I guess was around late August early September.

I remember hearing the same thing, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about the knee being structurally sound and on target as far as rehab. Again, think of the alternative. People were amazed that Adrian Peterson came back from a ACL/MCL tear after just 8-9 months. Now, we're going to believe Jaylon has fully recovered from the ACL/LCL (which some say is worse comparatively http://tinyurl.com/j2ctmb6) in half that time?

I think the much more plausible answer is that he's knees on track and he's able to increasingly do more strenuous movement and rehab on the knee as most others have at the same point with similar injuries.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I remember hearing the same thing, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about the knee being structurally sound and on target as far as rehab. Again, think of the alternative. People were amazed that Adrian Peterson came back from a ACL/MCL tear after just 8-9 months. Now, we're going to believe Jaylon has fully recovered from the ACL/LCL (which some say is worse comparatively http://tinyurl.com/j2ctmb6) in half that time?

I think the much more plausible answer is that he's knees on track and he's able to increasingly do more strenuous movement and rehab on the knee as most others have at the same point with similar injuries.

Notice the part on lateral planting as well as all the other stuff that are less precise

August 30
“Day by day, the feeling is getting so much better,” he said. “I’m able to do a lot more. I’m actually running now, doing some actual football drills – linebacker drills and stuff like that.”

Smith is a mainstay at practices, working off to the side with the athletic training staff. They’re still just small steps in a long process, but he said that -- from footwork drills to working on resistance cords -- he’s able to see a difference in what he can do.

A lot more, which transfers to the field,” he said. “And that’s why I’m able to do the cords and do ladders and all these different types of things that you guys see that previously I wasn’t able to do. We’re moving forward.”

Of course, the line of questioning will always go back to Smith’s peroneal nerve. The 22-year-old said he’s seeing positive developments, but it’s not an issue with a specific timeline for return. All the Cowboys can do is continue to monitor the situation.

“I think, with my situation it’s unique, because we don’t have a timetable for when I’ll be back,” Smith said. “But just controlling what I can control, keeping a positive attitude is always first and foremost.”

While he waits, Smith will continue working. He said he’s back up to his playing weight of 245 pounds, and he’s gained his strength back. Now, he wants to work on his power, and continue to ready himself for when he might be able to play again.

“Getting more explosive, my squats, the velocity in which I lift the heavy weight,” he said. “Out on the field, doing a lot more lateral planting and getting myself into football mode and getting this nerve keep coming back.”

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Very little in life is based on factual evidence, sadly. As an aside.

Maybe that's too existential in a thread about Jaylon's foot, idk...

Cal, why are we going round and round about this?

Jaylon's health status isn't an existential question.

waldoputty

Reaction score

"Smith tore the anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee and also suffered nerve damage. Though the knee was declared structurally sound at the medical recheck prior to the draft, the nerve has yet to refire and will need time."

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
@Wood

Where the **** did you go?

Post 395 and 396 say hello.

And save the idiotic grandstanding and dismissive reply. Just answer both.

waldoputty

Reaction score

May 22

After signing him to a rookie contract on Friday, the Cowboys now begin a high-stakes waiting game with Smith, hoping that he can make a comeback that few give him a chance to. When a medical re-check was done on injured players before the draft in April, Smith’s knee was deemed "structurally sound." But the peroneal nerve had yet to re-fire, complicating his recovery.

"I got a chance to work my butt off and at the re-check it was actually a huge day for me because I got to show how well I was doing and it was confirmed that my knee is not an issue at all, Smith said in an interview on ESPN’s Mike and Mike last week. "So that’s half of the equation, secured and knocked out. But for me now, it’s understanding the nerve and I’m in a great organization with the Dallas Cowboys and Dr. Dan Cooper did my surgery – he’s the team doctor here – so no one knows my injury more than the Cowboys and I’m just thankful to be here."

Status
Not open for further replies.