Leadership aside, is Cowboys Dak Prescott ready to fix issues in 2018?

glimmerman

Reaction score
The narrative on Dak Prescott has been he was figured out in 2017, he was a one-year wonder who was exposed as a fluke and made by the offensive line.

There is truth in there, but that isn’t the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Prescott was incapable of lifting his run-centric team when they lost their star running back to a six-game suspension and his stalwart left tackle and blindside protector.

The first eight games of the season, Prescott was playing at an MVP level. Then Ezekiel Elliott and Tyron Smith were lost and he played like a backup quarterback. Which is the real deal?

It’s probably somewhere in the middle, but in the middle is enough to lead the Cowboys to the promise land providing he doesn’t have to play behind a patchwork offensive line and without Elliott. The Cowboys went out and signed Cameron Fleming to make sure “Chaz Green, in at left tackle” never happens again. Now Prescott just needs to feel secure in the pocket again.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/31/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-2018-performance-preview/

The answer is depth and change. If we had better depth in our O-Line and a HC or OC that knew how to adapt to the drop off in production with the injuries then we would have had a better second half to last season. The first half looked good. Dak was on pace to have a good year.

But when defenses looked at the tape and knew our OC and HC was going to run the same game plan as last year then it made it easier for them and harder on us. Load the box and take away the short stuff. The broncos took this team apart. Laid the blue print for everyone else.

If our Offense don’t make changes then they better have no injuries and dominant players at all positions. Lol. Opposing defenses aren’t gonna change until we make them.

Dak will be improved this year barring injuries to O-Line. When Tyron is missing it hurts whom ever is playing QB. But having no depth of backup and staff leaving backup in with no help would have killed Romo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What happen last year. How can a guy go from MVP caliber to ****ting the bed without suffering a personal injury.

Answer the talent around him is so great it keeps him a float

Thats easy buddy:

He is only a 2nd year QB that had never been through any adversity. Not yet enough experience once things around him went south after so much to lean on. Coaching scheme sucked and couldnt adept or properly prepare him or the other players. He had the rug completely pulled out from under him and got his butt handed to him. He will be better for it.

Your analysis that this means that he simply sucks and will forever is garbage. And when you factor in that they helped solve the oline problems and we know Zeke will be back its kinda silly to act like he will struggle again.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is from article from this training camp.

THOMAS GREGORY
NORTH PORT, FL
After losing Tyron Smith last year and the debacle with Atlanta, Dak Prescott did not seem comfortable with his throws in the pocket affecting his accuracy. During OTA's has Prescott seemed more comfortable/accurate with his throws so far?

Bryan: Throwing during OTAs and facing a pass rush are two different things. Has he made some quality throws? Yes, he has. Has he missed some? Yes, he has as well. The one trait I respect about Prescott is how hard he does work. He’s in a better place both physically and mentally but he also knows the expectations. I believe you’ll see more consistent play from him this season just from the experiences he went through last year.

David: Dak looks like Dak – which is to say, he has some nice moments. But going all the way back to his first practice in 2016, Dak is not the type of guy who’s going to consistently wow you in practice. I agree with you that the breakdown of the offensive line got into his head last year. I trust his poise. I’m not worried about him.

So I ask when is he gonna start growing.
Next year? 5 years from now.? Maybe never. A little advice don't hold your breath

Its OTA's my man. And I dont think Dak will EVER wow as a passer. He will get better, but I dont see a pin point gunslinger in him. He is an dual threat QB with great leadership and confidence qualities. Efficient and intelligent.

I would also argue that he is working on his mechanics and other stuff right now along with rookies and young guys he has little experience with. Are you going to cry every time you hear something not so great about him?

Its a shame you cant enjoy the stroke of luck we had finding this kid.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Thats easy buddy:

He is only a 2nd year QB that had never been through any adversity. Not yet enough experience once things around him went south after so much to lean on. Coaching scheme sucked and couldnt adept or properly prepare him or the other players. He had the rug completely pulled out from under him and got his butt handed to him. He will be better for it.

Your analysis that this means that he simply sucks and will forever is garbage. And when you factor in that they helped solve the oline problems and we know Zeke will be back its kinda silly to act like he will struggle again.
Let' do some math
Falcons+ Eagles+ Chargers= Great QB:huh:
No it equals average at best.

Great O-Line+ Great RB = Great QB:grin:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No I am not saying take them away, but when he didn' have those weapons he tanked.

I am saying those weapons are so great it put You all in a delusion. You believe Dak is great.

Too critical for a 2nd year QB. I am seeing the other side of the coin. I see a QB that if you put the pieces around him he can be great. Already as a rookie he showed that. IF the pieces around him arent there then this team isnt going anywhere anyway.

I loved Romo, but we saw quite plainly that his worst trait was screwing things up when they were going well. Getting too pass happy and always trying to make the big play. Great for a team that sucks, but when you have a great team around you, you have to be more of a game manager. That was NOT his strength. And with Dak you throw in his dual threat ability to keep drives going and score on the GL with his legs and we become very difficult to defend. Unless of course Garrett is going to have predictable schemes, Dez is running 3 routes and not getting separation, and Cooper and Green are protecting our blind side. Then it doesnt matter who your QB is.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
People really need to stop saying he was playing at an MVP level the first 8 games. I can't take anyone who says that seriously. It's as if they are new to the NFL and never seen MVP QB play before.

He was. 16 TDs 4 INTs. 4 rushing TDs. 65% Completion Rate. 100+ QBR. All this despite the weekly Zeke drama. I have been watching the NFL for almost 40 years. He was very good to great in the first half of last season.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Its OTA's my man. And I dont think Dak will EVER wow as a passer. He will get better, but I dont see a pin point gunslinger in him. :huh:.

He is an dual threat QB
Until the Wheels fall off

with great leadership and confidence qualities. Efficient and intelligent.

Leadership conidence Intelligent all subjective opinions heaped upon him as if its a fact. All adjectives that can't be measured:rolleyes:
I agree he is efficint but when has Efficent translated to greatness

I would also argue that he is working on his mechanics and other stuff right now along with rookies and young guys he has little experience with.
Yeah you can argue but your argument is based on hope. You have no facts. But rather you imagion that is what he would be doing. But at this point in his carear at the age he is. You are gonna have to come to the conclusion he is incapable of performing in such a fashion

Its a shame you cant enjoy the stroke of luck we had finding this kid.

Luck? He cost an actually great QB his job and the ability to play with Zeke. Lucky we missed out on a Championship in 2016. Lucky for what.

Last edited:

starcity214

Reaction score
LOL...........too funny. Great great find. Pretty much destroys anything the haters say going forward. And why did all of this change starting game #9? Was there anything big that happened on that exact game? Zeke, Smith, Lee going down maybe?

So basically for the first 24 games of his career when he had at least a great oline and Zeke he was being considered for NFL MVP type play.

And why would ANYONE think that fixing the line and getting Zeke back would not shoot him right back to better play? And going through some adversity, another year of growth, the offense more tailored to his strength and ditching Dez wouldnt help him even more? Easy to see.

MVP..

Most valuable player on a team..

The Most valuable players on our team (according to you) are Zeke, Tyron and Lee..

That should tell you everything you need to know about a guy that thinks Prescott is an MVP candidate..

As I keep telling people , Prescott is an Alex Smith clone. In other words , he will always have a high QBR but will never get you over the hump because these type of players avoid risks (to the detriment of the team most times but their QBR is great) and only throw dump off passes. Prescott is not a playmaker.

Don't give me that "Prescott is an MVP" crap when he gets a high QBR in a game that we lose after constant 3 and outs while he throws for 140 yards..that stat is flawed.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Too critical for a 2nd year QB. I am seeing the other side of the coin. I see a QB that if you put the pieces around him he can be great. Already as a rookie he showed that. IF the pieces around him arent there then this team isnt going anywhere anyway.
Ok We can over hype him for his 1st season but when we judge the second season. We are being too critical. How does that work exactly

I loved Romo, but we saw quite plainly that his worst trait was screwing things up when they were going well. Getting too pass happy and always trying to make the big play. Great for a team that sucks, but when you have a great team around you, you have to be more of a game manager. That was NOT his strength.

Not true, in 2014 he was MVP candidate

Romo was pass happy when the team did suck. In 2014 he had a great O line and above average RB ( Who lead the league in Rushing because of that Great Oline)

And with Dak you throw in his dual threat ability to keep drives going and score on the GL with his legs and we become very difficult to defend.

He really isn't that hard to defend , Only play 20 yds down the field, crowd the line of scrimmage take away Beasley and your good

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go ahead kid. But it works both ways. I am on record saying this team will go deep into the playoffs. With Daks run and Dump style. But in no way is he a great QB. The Cowboys will go as far as the talent around him carries him.

With Dak at QB making the Playoffs will be a miracle as defenses know his weaknesses and we know what happens when the pressure hits him....Panic Dak time in the house!
Frankly speaking unless he's benched by week 7-8 a winning record will be a accomplishment for sure for sure and lets forget whatever dreams we might have for a playoff showing or deep run......

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MVP..

The Most valuable players on our team (according to you) are Zeke, Tyron and Lee..

That should tell you everything you need to know about a guy that thinks Prescott is an MVP candidate..

As I keep telling people , Prescott is an Alex Smith clone. In other words , he will always have a high QBR but will never get you over the hump because these type of players avoid risks (to the detriment of the team most times but their QBR is great) and only throw dump off passes. Prescott is not a playmaker.

Don't give me that "Prescott is an MVP" crap when he gets a high QBR in a game that we lose after constant 3 and outs while he throws for 140 yards..that stat is flawed.

Your being to generous with Dak here comparing him to Alex Smith more like a Tim Tebow clone id say!

NotForLong

Reaction score
MVP..

:bow:we're not worthy:bow:

NotForLong

Reaction score
With Dak at QB making the Playoffs will be a miracle as defenses know his weaknesses and we know what happens when the pressure hits him....Panic Dak time in the house!
Frankly speaking unless he's benched by week 7-8 a winning record will be a accomplishment for sure for sure and lets forget whatever dreams we might have for a playoff showing or deep run......
If Dak was on any number of other team. I would agree. But with the addition of Connor Williams who I believe will come in and make an immediate impact, a real force. Also I have a feeling Collins will make a big jump this year.

I think this is gonna be a special year. I really like how the D is coming together. Its gonna be nice to see them develope and progresses. More 3 and outs and takeaways hence more opportunities for the Offense. Which will specialize on wearing down the other opposing D. I am very excited for this season.

As far as Dak I'll put it this way Draft him in Fantasy and ride him to the Championship. I had him last year and he was a fantasy stud in the 1st half.

That's why I am so adamant about Dak, He has too many inadequaies as a QB. He is strong and can Run. The only Qbs I know who started out as running QB's early in thier Careers and continued to Run through out thier Carreers were Jeff Garcia, Steve Young, Doug Flutie, and Michael Vick,. But each one of them were known for thier passing arms as well as thier legs. Eventually Wentz will stop running but he will still be effective.

My fear is Dak will get a huge contract and then lose the ability to Run as his body wears down. He's really not that fast He runs more like Vince Young. The Cowboys will have all that money locked up on him. And they'll be stuck with a non running QB who can' throw.

It'll be cap hell

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak was on any number of other team. I would agree. But with the addition of Connor Williams who I believe will come in and make an immediate impact, a real force. Also I have a feeling Collins will make a big jump this year.

I think this is gonna be a special year. I really like how the D is coming together. Its gonna be nice to see them develope and progresses. More 3 and outs and takeaways hence more opportunities for the Offense. Which will specialize on wearing down the other opposing D. I am very excited for this season.

As far as Dak I'll put it this way Draft him in Fantasy and ride him to the Championship. I had him last year and he was a fantasy stud in the 1st half.

That's why I am so adamant about Dak, He has too many inadequaies as a QB. He is strong and can Run. The only Qbs I know who started out as running QB's early in thier Careers and continued to Run through out thier Carreers were Jeff Garcia, Steve Young, Doug Flutie, and Michael Vick,. But each one of them were known for thier passing arms as well as thier legs. Eventually Wentz will stop running but he will still be effective.

My fear is Dak will get a huge contract and then lose the ability to Run as his body wears down. He's really not that fast He runs more like Vince Young. The Cowboys will have all that money locked up on him. And they'll be stuck with a non running QB who can' throw.

It'll be cap hell

Dak is under alot of pressure to prove that last season was bump in the road. As we have seen he has issues with pressure and really falls apart when things are not PERFECT! Our team has a long way to go and the question marks are many at this point.I'm leaving my options open for this coming season as it could go either way here with the biggest factor being Dak! Don't be surprised if we end up having a top 5 pick by seasons end as the schedule is formidable......and we're betting on a lot of "If's" here.....

erod

Reaction score
He was. 16 TDs 4 INTs. 4 rushing TDs. 65% Completion Rate. 100+ QBR. All this despite the weekly Zeke drama. I have been watching the NFL for almost 40 years. He was very good to great in the first half of last season.

He was average for 8 games, then worse than Tim Tebow the last 8.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think this is a big year for Dak. He has shown some very good abilities and he has had his share of mistakes. This year he needs to show he can improve upon his weakness and lead this team. I fully support him and believe he can get the job done.

If this team allows him to spread the ball around as he did in 2016 he will lead them to wins. I think we saw with what happened this offseason the team is going that route. With the retirement of Witten i think that further pushes the team to go into a more college type scheme. A spread open offense to go with Elliot and a QB who can take off with his feet will open the game up for the offense. More CBs on the field trying to tackle Elliot is a win all day everyday day for the Cowboys.