LeBron James vs Michael Jordan

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s not just about nostalgic. I think Russell , Kareem, Magic , Larry and Jordon for example would be great in any era. LeBron is one of those too.

Just like I believe Earl Campbell, Staubach, etc would be great in any era.

Some great talents would only be as great in their particular era.

I’m not sure Durant and Curry would have been as great in other eras if not on great teams.
Durant had one of the most expansive skill sets coming out of college Ive ever seen. He could have gone many different ways with his game. He could have played the 4 with the same skill as Garnett if he wanted to be a 2 way PF in that vain. He had all the measureables and tools. Or he could be the volume scorer at the 3 that he became, which is both more valuable and more a fit for his skill level. But if Durant wanted to be the next Garnett, he could have been

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the evolution of the 4 contributed alot. Players like Dirk, Webber, Garnett to name of few of the mid to late 90's and 2000's (and in Dirks case 2010's) changed how the position was used from being primarily a low post banger or get to the hoop banger to a more perimeter centeric position and ball moving position. The game didnt change then, but I believe it was an early catalyst
Yep..

This is an interesting topic . So, you think we just didn’t have as many big men for post game or we intentionally developed them to shoot more from outside?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the evolution of the 4 contributed alot. Players like Dirk, Webber, Garnett to name of few of the mid to late 90's and 2000's (and in Dirks case 2010's) changed how the position was used from being primarily a low post banger or get to the hoop banger to a more perimeter centeric position and ball moving position. The game didnt change then, but I believe it was an early catalyst
SN: Alot of people forget Garnett was a 3 when he came into the NBA. He moved to the 4 only after they traded Gugliotta

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Durant had one of the most expansive skill sets coming out of college Ive ever seen. He could have gone many different ways with his game. He could have played the 4 with the same skill as Garnett if he wanted to be a 2 way PF in that vain. He had all the measureables and tools. Or he could be the volume scorer at the 3 that he became, which is both more valuable and more a fit for his skill level. But if Durant wanted to be the next Garnett, he could have been
You think? He never seemed to be as physical as Garnett?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep..

This is an interesting topic . So, you think we just didn’t have as many big men for post game or we intentionally developed them to shoot more from outside?
Keep in mind, big men are planet players. There is only so many of them. So when a bunch of 6'11-7' guys learn to shoot, there are only so many left to bang

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You think? He never seemed to be as physical as Garnett?
Skill wise yes. But Garnett was legitimately crazy. Very few players are as physical as Garnett.

Close to or above 7 foot, huge wingspan, great anticipation, great lateral movement. Just would have had to get stronger then he is now to defend the paint

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Keep in mind, big men are planet players. There is only so many of them. So when a bunch of 6'11-7' guys learn to shoot, there are only so many left to bang
Big men like Hakeem and Ewing couldn’t shoot in college and developed an outside shot in pros while still dominating inside .

The difference to me appears to be these big men’s less bulk. Their body isn’t made to push the post game inside.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Skill wise yes. But Garnett was legitimately crazy. Very few players are as physical as Garnett
But Durant doesn’t appear to even try to defend or challenge shots.

Garnett was defensive player of the year a couple times if I recall ?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Big men like Hakeem and Ewing couldn’t shoot in college and developed an outside shot in pros while still dominating inside .

The difference to me appears to be these big men’s less bulk. Their body isn’t made to push the post game inside.
There are some that are. Cousins, Embiid, KAT and Ayton who is coming in the draft all can play games similar to a traditional Center but can also space and facilitate. Todays game is more about spacing and ball movement then it is 3 point shooting. Space the court so slashers can get to the rim. Keep the ball moving until you get an open shot

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But Durant doesn’t appear to even try to defend or challenge shots.

Garnett was defensive player of the year a couple times if I recall ?
I said skill wise. Not desire. The requisite skills were all there if he wanted to go that way with his game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There are some that are. Cousins, Embiid, KAT and Ayton who is coming in the draft all can play games similar to a traditional Center but can also space and facilitate. Todays game is more about spacing and ball movement then it is 3 point shooting. Space the court so slashers can to the rim.
Davis in New Orleans only one I can think of who fits old school post center.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I said skill wise. Not desire. The requisite skills were all there if he wanted to go that way with his game.
Yea, he plays lazy. Like all he’s doing is looking to shoot.

I agree . He probably has the wing span and athletic ability to challenge shots. He doesn’t even try to defend LeBron . At 6’10 he could .

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yea, he plays lazy. Like all he’s doing is looking to shoot.

I agree . He probably has the wing span and athletic ability to challenge shots. He doesn’t even try to defend LeBron . At 6’10 he could .
When I was referencing that, that was when he came out of HS and too a lesser extent college. He has a better makeup to be a volume shooter

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When I was referencing that, that was when he came out of HS and too a lesser extent college. He has a better makeup to be a volume shooter
Yes, but it makes him a more one dimensional player. I think he could have been much more if he chose to at least attempt to play defense.

Nav22

Reaction score
Bob Cousy might not crack a G-League roster if he played in this era.

Sorry, but the NBA was an inferior product in the '50s and '60s compared to what it has now become.

That's why nobody takes Bill Russell seriously when arguing who the greatest of all-time is. MJ has 5 less rings yet is widely regarded as the greatest ever - OVER Russell - for a reason.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Durant has the physical ability and size to go up and challenge shots like LeBron does.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bob Cousy might not crack a G-League roster if he played in this era.

Sorry, but the NBA was an inferior product in the '50s and '60s compared to what it has now become.

That's why nobody takes Bill Russell seriously when arguing who the greatest of all-time is. MJ has 5 less rings yet is widely regarded as the greatest ever - OVER Russell - for a reason.
I’d agree with 50’s and 60’s mostly all white league an inferior product. 1966 Western Texas ( now UTEP) illustrated the talent that was missing in basketball .

And I’d agree with Jordon a greater player than Russell .

But Russells 11 time champion team was stacked with HOF talent.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I generally hate the the MJ/Lebron comparison. MJ is a volume score and Lebron is a point forward. Neither can really the other does. Kobe is a comparison for MJ whereas Magic is a comp for Lebron. Different demeanors to go with different skills. A player like Lebron needs to be highly cerebral to be an All Time great. Generations will talk about Lebrons basketball IQ. A volume scorer like Jordan or Kobe need to be cold blooded and driven. Thats one of the things that seperates the Kobes from the Melo's and Iversons

That's fair enough. I have no issue with that.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I’d also say guys like Derrick Coleman (could actually handle the rock), Billy Owens, and a few others would be much different players in this era than the time they played in. Guys like Jamal Mashburn and Donyell Marshall would have thrived in today’s “3 and D” game.