LeBron James vs Michael Jordan

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good question why this era doesn’t have the power big men anymore like Chamberlain, Kareem, Moses and Akeem? I really don’t know.

But it would probably be a contributing factor in the evolution of the game.

The Spurs were probably the last dynasty to have a solid or traditional post game and defense.

I can see why fans this era are taken in by the evolution of the game but it’s difficult for me to give much credit to those who didn’t experience and live thru all of these eras to compare.

That said I still enjoy watching the current stars and teams appreciating their place in history.

Nav22

Reaction score
3 point shooting isn’t sophisticated. It’s a percentage game. Teams this era don’t have much of a backup plan if their shots are off.

Winning championships will rank the Warriors as one of the best teams but that doesn’t mean they’d stack up against some of the greatest dynasty teams.

Much like I wouldn’t stack up the Patriots against some of the greatest dynasty teams in NFL history. But being the best in an era is admirable.
You don't watch much NBA basketball if you think the Warriors just bring the ball up to jack 3s. They ranked 17th in attempts/game and 1st in 3-pt %.

They were also 1st in FG% (at a ridiculous 50.3%), 1st in assists/game and 1st in passes/game.

It's okay. You're an old-timer who's protective or his era no matter how wrong he is.

Nav22

Reaction score
Good question why this era doesn’t have the power big men anymore like Chamberlain, Kareem, Moses and Akeem? I really don’t know.

The Spurs were probably the last dynasty to have a solid or traditional post game and defense.

I can see why fans this era are taken in by the evolution of the game but it’s difficult for me to give much credit to those who didn’t experience and live thru all of these eras to compare.

That said I still enjoy watching the current stars and teams appreciating their place in history.
It's simple math.

You get a certain amount of points/possession when working through the post, a certain amount of points/possession when taking a contested 1-on-1 shot in the post, and a certain amount of points/possession when taking an open 3.

Shooters are FAR better now than they used to be, so the 3-point shot has taken over.

And make no mistake... post game is 1-on-1 basketball. Doesn't get any less sophisticated than that.

The Warriors pass the ball as much as any team in NBA HISTORY. Constant movement off the ball with screens galore. I love hearing old-timers denigrate this budding dynasty because the new school scares them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You don't watch much NBA basketball if you think the Warriors just bring the ball up to jack 3s. They ranked 17th in attempts/game and 1st in 3-pt %.

They were also 1st in FG% (at a ridiculous 50.3%), 1st in assists/game and 1st in passes/game.

It's okay. You're an old-timer who's protective or his era no matter how wrong he is.
Those stats would support my theory.

If your making the highest percentage of your shots someone is feeding it to you.

This is a 3 point shooting era in the NBA and those stats support it.

I’m just calling it like I see it. You apparently only have one era to draw your assessment from.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's simple math.

You get a certain amount of points/possession when working through the post, a certain amount of points/possession when taking a contested 1-on-1 shot in the post, and a certain amount of points/possession when taking an open 3.

Shooters are FAR better now than they used to be, so the 3-point shot has taken over.

And make no mistake... post game is 1-on-1 basketball. Doesn't get any less sophisticated than that.

The Warriors pass the ball as much as any team in NBA HISTORY. Constant movement off the ball with screens galore. I love hearing old-timers denigrate this budding dynasty because the new school scares them.
Outside shooters are much better this era and why the league has become a 3 pointing shoot fest if that’s appealing to you.

It doesn’t mean they’re greater teams than past eras. Only means they’re higher scoring and better outside shooters.

Nav22

Reaction score
Outside shooters are much better this era and why the league has become a 3 pointing shoot fest if that’s appealing to you.

It doesn’t mean they’re greater teams than past eras. Only means they’re higher scoring and better outside shooters.
LOL it doesn't mean they're WORSE either, does it?

And yet you had to chime in with your "get off my lawn" nonsense about previous dynasties being better than the Warriors dynasty.

Newsflash: sports evolve and players get more athletic and more talented, not less.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL it doesn't mean they're WORSE either, does it?

And yet you had to chime in with your "get off my lawn" nonsense about previous dynasties being better than the Warriors dynasty.

Newsflash: sports evolve and players get more athletic and more talented, not less.
I’m not denying their individual talent. As a matter of fact I’ve spoken favorably . My issue is the team aspect in comparisons.

The Warriors still need to hang a few more banners before I can begin comparing them to some of the dynasties of the past.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And as much as I admire Curry and Durant Id rather have Magic, Larry , Kareem or Akeem to build a team around.

LeBron is only throw back player I see this era. That doesn’t mean Curry and Durant won’t have their place in history. Great shooters and fun to watch.

But they’ll need to do much more to put them in the same class as some of the greats in history.

Nav22

Reaction score
And as much as I admire Curry and Durant Id rather have Magic, Larry , Kareem or Akeem to build a team around.

LeBron is only throw back player I see this era. That doesn’t mean Curry and Durant won’t have their place in history. Great shooters and fun to watch.

But they’ll need to do much more to put them in the same class as some of the greats in history.
LOL so the Warriors don't have enough banners, but then you sing the praises of Larry Bird (3 titles) and Hakeem (2).

That's cute.

The Warriors are closing in on their 3rd title in 4 years, and they went 73-9 (best record in NBA history) the year they DIDN'T win it.

They already have the all-time records for wins over a 3-year, 4-year AND 5-year span.

Their place in history will be very, very secure, and their players' legacies will reflect that. Like it or not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL so the Warriors don't have enough banners, but then you sing the praises of Larry Bird (3 titles) and Hakeem (2).

That's cute.

The Warriors are closing in on their 3rd title in 4 years, and they went 73-9 (best record in NBA history) the year they DIDN'T win it.

They already have the all-time records for wins over a 3-year, 4-year AND 5-year span.

Their place in history will be very, very secure. Like it or not.
It’s not a matter of whether I like it or not. And as I stated it’s subject to change.

But dominating this era doesn’t make them as great as some in the past regardless how many they win.

But if you want to compare numbers I certainly wouldn’t place them as I originally said up against the Russell Celtics, Showtime Lakers or Jordan Bulls.

Nav22

Reaction score

Hahaha. You're attempting to talk out of both sides of your mouth.

"I've spoken favorably about their talent... that being said, they aren't crap compared to Larry, Hakeem or Kareem!"

There isn't a defender in history who could stop Kevin Durant from scoring at will, and there isn't a shooter in history who can touch Steph Curry.

They're leaders of the new school and the new school is in no way inferior to the old school. It's actually superior since the game evolves.

Nav22

Reaction score
It’s not a matter of whether I like it or not. And as I stated it’s subject to change.

But dominating this era doesn’t make them as great as some in the past regardless how many they win.

But if you want to compare numbers I certainly wouldn’t place them as I originally said up against the Russell Celtics, Showtime Lakers or Jordan Bulls.
The only reason you wouldn't put them up there is because you're an old guy who's nostalgic about the past.

LOL put the 2018 Warriors in a time machine and they'd beat the BREAKS off of Russell's Celtics. Get real.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Like I said. If Warriors continue hanging banners they’ll have their place in history. I like them. A fun team to watch.

But if you didn’t experience the great dynasties of these past eras who exactly are you comparing the Warriors to?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only reason you wouldn't put them up there is because you're an old guy who's nostalgic about the past.

LOL put the 2018 Warriors in a time machine and they'd beat the BREAKS off of Russell's Celtics. Get real.
We’ll see some day when your an old guy and how you compare the new from the old. I have 60+ years of comparisons . How about you?

And like I’ve said. More evidence could sway opinion but even then like I compared with Patriots domination this era doesn’t equate into greater teams in comparison.

Greater athletes and individual performance like we’re seeing with LeBron doesnt necessarily equate to greater teams. Those teams of the past had so many greater players on one team without Salary Caps.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

That’s pure speculation . Your certainly entitled to your opinion. I’d be more influenced if this was coming from someone who’d experienced and lived those eras.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s not just about nostalgic. I think Russell , Kareem, Magic , Larry and Jordon for example would be great in any era. LeBron is one of those too.

Just like I believe Earl Campbell, Staubach, etc would be great in any era.

Some great talents would only be as great in their particular era.

I’m not sure Durant and Curry would have been as great in other eras if not on great teams.

Nav22

Reaction score
That’s pure speculation . Your certainly entitled to your opinion. I’d be more influenced if this was coming from someone who’d experienced and lived those eras.
Hahahaha the thought of those unathletic clods of the '50s and '60s trying to keep up with the current Warriors.
:lmao2:

Nice try with the "you didn't see it because you're young" stuff, as I have access to the same tape you do and I've watched plenty of tape on those teams/players. NBA teams shot a disgusting % from the field in that era compared to this one, but I suppose you'll say that's PURELY because defenses being better, right?

Wrong: they were CLEARLY inferior skill-wise back then compared to now. Shooting ability, dribbling, athleticism... you name it.

You don't need to have been alive in that era to know that Bob Cousy was slow and could barely dribble with his left hand. LOLLLL I've seen clips of him needing to look down at the ball while dribbling lefty.

Compare that to Steph, Kyrie or CP3's handles.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hahahaha the thought of those unathletic clods of the '50s and '60s trying to keep up with the current Warriors.

Nice try with the "you didn't see it because you're young" stuff, as I have access to the same tape you do and I've watched plenty of tape on those teams/players. NBA teams shot a disgusting % from the field in that era compared to this one, but I suppose you'll say that's PURELY because defenses being better, right?

Wrong: they were CLEARLY inferior skill-wise back then compared to now. Shooting ability, dribbling, athleticism... you name it.

You don't need to have been alive in that era to know that Bob Cousy was slow and could barely dribble with his left hand. LOLLLL I've seen clips of him needing to look down at the ball while dribbling lefty.

Compare that to Steph, Kyrie or CP3's handles.
Using Cousy supports your narrative instead of Russell, Magic or Jordan .

And watching highlites is not the same as experiencing the impacts.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I think the evolution of the 4 contributed alot. Players like Dirk, Webber, Garnett to name of few of the mid to late 90's and 2000's (and in Dirks case 2010's) changed how the position was used from being primarily a low post banger or get to the hoop banger to a more perimeter centeric position and ball moving position. The game didnt change then, but I believe it was an early catalyst

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was a history minor in college . Did a paper on the Great Depression. Researched it greatly and became knowledgeable but I could have never felt the impact my parents and grandparents did living thru it.

There’s many aspects in today’s sports especially athletes which are bigger, stronger and faster. But rule changes have effected the overall teams greatness like the Salary Caps and Free Agency because teams no longer can stockpile talent.

And 3 point line has impacted as well. Initially implemented to help less talented teams is the benchmark now for overall less talented teams if you can shoot well outside.