Leighton continues to impress!

CWR

Reaction score
My only issue with LVE is he's not a thumper. All of his tackles are drag downs, whereas someone like Jaylon actually brings the thump. Maybe it's because he's so tall, so he's losing leverage battles and it's not like he isn't a good tackler, it's just that with his size and athleticism, I expected a little more violence in his game.

These days hes perfect for the game. Any real hits get flagged now.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No. Actually being on the field with TO and Witten made the receivers look better. They constantly drew double teams which left them open vs lesser DBs and/or linebackers. Romo didn’t look great when surrounded by lower tier WRs either. Let’s just be honest. Every offseason people cried about what Romo would need to succeed. Damn!! Folks around here sure have short memories.
First, Witten didn't draw double coverage.
Second, Did Miles Austin play with TO? And didn't Romo become starter before TO got here? :huh:
Third, so who were these lower tier receivers Romo played with who made Romo look pedestrian? :huh:
Fourth, people cried about Romo needing a DEFENSE!!!. People cried about the Cowboys throwing too much when they should run. We had DeMarco Murray. We had Marion Barber. For most of his career, Romo had a running back and a running game. We just didn't always use it.
Fifth, no short memory here. I'm as objective as they come. I liked Romo but still criticized him for throwing too many interceptions. I'm not Cowboys to the point where I lose all rationality.

As for LVE... He looks good and should improve over time. But it’s hypocritical to have bashed Jaylon last year for his efforts. Jaylon was thrown into the lead role while LVE has the luxury of being a sidekick as a rookie. But hey. To each, his own.

Did you mean this comment for someone else? I never bashed Jaylon. I knew he was still injured. I even complimented him on his speed last year. I just said he looked kind of funny speeding to a play and not being able to slow down, looking like a man on ice skates who can't stop. But I knew that was a function of his not-yet-totally-healed leg.

keysersoze

Reaction score
First, Witten didn't draw double coverage.
Second, Did Miles Austin play with TO? And didn't Romo become starter before TO got here? :huh:
Third, so who were these lower tier receivers Romo played with who made Romo look pedestrian? :huh:
Fourth, people cried about Romo needing a DEFENSE!!!. People cried about the Cowboys throwing too much when they should run. We had DeMarco Murray. We had Marion Barber. For most of his career, Romo had a running back and a running game. We just didn't always use it.
Fifth, no short memory here. I'm as objective as they come. I liked Romo but still criticized him for throwing too many interceptions. I'm not Cowboys to the point where I lose all rationality.

Did you mean this comment for someone else? I never bashed Jaylon. I knew he was still injured. I even complimented him on his speed last year. I just said he looked kind of funny speeding to a play and not being able to slow down, looking like a man on ice skates who can't stop. But I knew that was a function of his not-yet-totally-healed leg.
No. Romo was the starter after replacing Bledsoe during TOs first season as a Cowboy. Shut up and continue googling for knowledge. Nitwit. Nothing else you posted matters after that debacle.

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No. Romo was the starter during TOs first season as a Cowboy. Shut up and continue googling for knowledge. Nitwit. Nothing else you posted matters after that debacle.
Don't be so juvenile. You all take these discussions so seriously, like your manhood is at stake or something.
Second, learn what a "question" is. There was no debacle. I asked a question because I wasn't sure. And seeing that I'm writing a research paper, I didn't really care to look up the dates.
Nevertheless, like I told another poster, I gave a five-prong reply, two of which included question marks. You targeted one point of uncertainty, but you didn't address the others.
But, hey, if you're rocking off on the fact you debunked a question, go for it. :laugh:

keysersoze

Reaction score
Don't be so juvenile. You all take these discussions so seriously, like your manhood is at stake or something.
Second, learn what a "question" is. There was no debacle. I asked a question because I wasn't sure. And seeing that I'm writing a research paper, I didn't really care to look up the dates.
Nevertheless, like I told another poster, I gave a five-prong reply, two of which included question marks. You targeted one point of uncertainty, but you didn't address the others.
But, hey, if you're rocking off on the fact you debunked a question, go for it. :laugh:
Ok. To answer your question. Please refer to our 2010 season BEFORE ROMO WAS INJURED

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great points. But why are people bashing Jaylon for taking on the blocks that allow others to make tackles? It’s hypocritical to say Jaylon got caught in the trash while saying LVE is doing a linebacker’s job. It’s the same thing, but described differently depending on which player is being discussed.

I must have missed people bashing Jaylon, but if I had seen it I would have defended him too. I think Jaylon and LVE are both playing very well.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I must have missed people bashing Jaylon, but if I had seen it I would have defended him too. I think Jaylon and LVE are both playing very well.
I do too. I’m just pointing out all the hypocrisy related to these two young guns. Jaylon was maligned and scrutinized for every mistake or perceived mistakes. LVE is lauded for those same things. For example. He’s not a heavy hitter so these same fans say he’s perfect for the current NFL rules. LMAO. That’s the sorriest excuse I’ve ever heard.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do too. I’m just pointing out all the hypocrisy related to these two young guns. Jaylon was maligned and scrutinized for every mistake or perceived mistakes. LVE is lauded for those same things. For example. He’s not a heavy hitter so these same fans say he’s perfect for the current NFL rules. LMAO. That’s the sorriest excuse I’ve ever heard.

I think part of the problem some have with Jaylon is they developed a negative attitude because we used a 2nd round pick on a player that was going to miss the entirety of his rookie season, and ended up not fully up to speed the next season. And as we know, or should know, there are fans that once they form a perception they won't let go of it no matter what.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I think part of the problem some have with Jaylon is they developed a negative attitude because we used a 2nd round pick on a player that was going to miss the entirety of his rookie season, and ended up not fully up to speed the next season. And as we know, or should know, there are fans that once they form a perception they won't let go of it no matter what.
Yep. Which is exactly why I’m pointing out the ignorance

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Which is exactly why I’m pointing out the ignorance

It really doesn't have any logic to it. I get the disappointment that we used a 2nd round pick on an injured player who wouldn't even play his first season - there can be a legitimate argument made against that. But it's illogical to hold hard feelings for the player because if it, or to not judge how the player progresses separate from being upset at the pick. I think some are just so focused on making every thought, word or act the team has or does a bad thing that they become incapable of logic.

keysersoze

Reaction score
It really doesn't have any logic to it. I get the disappointment that we used a 2nd round pick on an injured player who wouldn't even play his first season - there can be a legitimate argument made against that. But it's illogical to hold hard feelings for the player because if it, or to not judge how the player progresses separate from being upset at the pick. I think some are just so focused on making every thought, word or act the team has or does a bad thing that they become incapable of logic.
Nah. It’s a little more to it than that. It’s hatred. But that’s all I’m gonna say. Jaylon has worked his butt off and did his best as the lead linebacker when Lee and Hitchens was hurt. Last season was basically his rookie season and this season he looks like a totally different player. To discredit this young man in any way is ludicrous and blatantly ignorant.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah. It’s a little more to it than that. It’s hatred. But that’s all I’m gonna say. Jaylon has worked his butt off and did his best as the lead linebacker when Lee and Hitchens was hurt. Last season was basically his rookie season and this season he looks like a totally different player. To discredit this young man in any way is ludicrous and blatantly ignorant.

I agree that it's wrong to discredit him, but what hatred are you talking about?

Scotman

Reaction score
I agree with you but I would say the issue is a non issue.

He's also a baby and hasn't even been in a NFL offseason yet.

He's on the verge of being a superstar player in this league I think.

In a pass happy league Leighton Vander Esch is really a perfect linebacker.
Heck, he's barely played 11 man football at all. Tons of upside and evidently a very low floor.