Leonard to visit Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks, this is good insight.

With Bell a bit gimpy right now, and the other LBers still coming along, I think this is still a worthy signing right now, for more depth...and the hope that he can be a run-stuffer.

I still say this team needs a LB (or two), and more o-line depth. And we should also consider a young, potentially-talented DT, if we happen to unearth one on someone's practice squad or in the draft.
It would be fun to have an Uber elite DT.

The Cowboys always seem to get by with a rotation at DT. Have they had a super star DT since Randy White?

Ratliff and Le'Roi Glover has some All-Pro seasons with the Cowboys but I wouldn't call them super stars.

Maryland only 1 Pro Bowl.

Casillas didn't make Pro Bpwl or All-Pro with Cowboys.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I find it impossible to believe. This is a talent acquisition business.
Honestly, from what I can tell, he was well respected throughout the Colts organization among players, coaches, and management. Remember they are still on the hook for his salary the rest of the season, so this wasn't about money. Just me, I'm guessing they knew they were going release him after the season but decided to do it now..........give him a chance to catch on with another team and to give their younger players more snaps.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
His back has not been a chronic long term issue.

Surgery June 2022
Surgery November 2022

Played game 4
Missed 3 with concussion & broken nose.
Played 2 more games then IR.

Primary symptom was weakness in left leg.

He had an ankle issue in 2021 but still played 16 regular season games and was 1st Team All-Pro.

-3 games over 80% of snaps.
- Avg about 70%.
- Generally replaced on passing downs.
Uh yeah nerve damage. Yuck.

PoetTree

Reaction score
Our biggest weakness on defense is against the run. Leonard was an All-Pro, Patrick Willis type linebacker before the injuries / surgeries & his contract reflects that. At 28 years old now following those ordeals, he’s more of an excellent 2-down linebacker who mostly plays the run.

While not worth the franchise defensive player money he had earned any longer, he can still be effective or even dynamic versus the ground-game. This is where his value to Dallas lies. If our defense has an Achilles Heel, it’s our opponent’s ability to bully us with the run —especially an elite team at that such as Shannahan’s 49ers & the Philadelphia Eagles.

Leonard, pairing with Rahsaan Evans, another formidable run-stopper, has the potential to transform our run-defense mid-season in uncommon fashion. Usually you just are who you are. Those two additions, especially Leonard, stand to infuse size & ability at stopping the run we simply didn’t possess heretofore.

Then, we still have Bell & Kearse for Big Nickel & Dime formations, keeping them fresher for those downs…

Potentially big upside to signing Shaq.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
He may still be playing decent but not at the level of his pay. They aren’t doing much and probably want to give play time to younger developing players.
This..
They may just see him as a progress stopper, a bit like the last couple of years of Witten.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Anybody actually watch the colts? Is he washed? The guy went from one of the best defensive players in football to cut in like 2 years
Colts suck but their fans are ecstatic he’s off the roster. If that don’t tell you all you need to know. It’s the same situation's as us releasing Jaylon smith.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The team needs more depth, with DeMarvion Overshown and Leighton Vander Esch out for the season due to injuries.

Leonard could give the room some veteran leadership and be a plug-and-play defender for the team.

The team has Rashaan Evans on the roster now, which adds veteran experience to the young room with Damone Clark and Markquese Bell, but Leonard can add another level of experience instantly.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/how-could-dallas-cowboys-utilize-shaquille-leonard-nfl-2023/

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’ve read that there were disagreements behind the scenes about his playing time. He was released soon after having a meeting about it.
Yep ..........he was pretty popular among his teammates so they didn't need that in the locker room. The fact they let him walk knowing they were still his salary for the rest of the year tells you everything. This wasn't just about his injury......

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep ..........he was pretty popular among his teammates so they didn't need that in the locker room. The fact they let him walk knowing they were still his salary for the rest of the year tells you everything. This wasn't just about his injury......
Indy is known for making things overly personal bc their owner is a manchild.

Status
Not open for further replies.