Leonard to visit Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Our biggest weakness on defense is against the run. Leonard was an All-Pro, Patrick Willis type linebacker before the injuries / surgeries & his contract reflects that. At 28 years old now following those ordeals, he’s more of an excellent 2-down linebacker who mostly plays the run.

While not worth the franchise defensive player money he had earned any longer, he can still be effective or even dynamic versus the ground-game. This is where his value to Dallas lies. If our defense has an Achilles Heel, it’s our opponent’s ability to bully us with the run —especially an elite team at that such as Shannahan’s 49ers & the Philadelphia Eagles.

Leonard, pairing with Rahsaan Evans, another formidable run-stopper, has the potential to transform our run-defense mid-season in uncommon fashion. Usually you just are who you are. Those two additions, especially Leonard, stand to infuse size & ability at stopping the run we simply didn’t possess heretofore.

Then, we still have Bell & Kearse for Big Nickel & Dime formations, keeping them fresher for those downs…

Potentially big upside to signing Shaq.
That is the only pause I would give about the guy he may be more a conventional LB in a conventional defense, DQ runs a hybrid front type of Nickel than a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. I do not see how you put a LB like that in the middle of the dallas defense.

mote

Reaction score
Anyone here saying hes not a good add really doesnt understand that Indy is a soul sucking franchise. They did him dirty and he wants to show off again. Leonard was a star in this league not even 3 years ago. He is 28. His diagnosing skills are elite and he will help the run D even more. Imagine on a run down having to go thru Smith, Hankins, Evans, Leonard.

This should be the priority right now. Sign him and get him ready for Philly.
Except apparently he wanted to play every down and was making a lot of negative comments about his game time and role. Winning teams may not like the idea of getting a (potentially) quality player but also maybe acquiring a locker room disruption in the process.

Praxit

Reaction score
Still suprised how much obj got from the ravens. I Wouldn't have given him half that
..yeah, Im feeling optimistic about this. They are flying him out, Id guess.

Sure they did background health checks on him before doing so.

Now its time to meet the character, player.

btcutter

Reaction score
He’s not the All Pro LB of years past, thats obvious.

But he’s a massive upgrade in depth and can play massive snaps if needed.
I hope he is. We need a presence at ILB that's been missing for years.

lopey

Reaction score
If they do sign him it should help depth wise. This is one position we are thin at right now. If he can play limited snaps it will help

Praxit

Reaction score
....he's only 28. I thought he was in his early 30's.

He could just finish his career in Dallas. *crossing fingers*

Watching his football highlights. He's like a Ray Lewis type.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
If they do sign him it should help depth wise. This is one position we are thin at right now. If he can play limited snaps it will help

Eagles’ Interest In Shaquille Leonard Picking Up

I knew that was going to happen the minute another Eagles linebacker got hurt in last night's game. I don't know their roster so if there's any Eagles fan's out there feel free to correct me. Was Cunningham a starter? Or playing for their injured starter, the Georgia guy?

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
....he's only 28. I thought he was in his early 30's.

He could just finish his career in Dallas. *crossing fingers*

Watching his football highlights. He's like a Ray Lewis type.
He's got a bad back. He had back surgery. He said he's fine but these guys say anything until they get guaranteed money. Teams don't release very good players in their prime for no reason. A lot of decent players are getting released that can help a playoff team. Even a Super Bowl assistant was released from his team today.

joseephuss

Reaction score
He's got a bad back. He had back surgery. He said he's fine but these guys say anything until they get guaranteed money. Teams don't release very good players in their prime for no reason. A lot of decent players are getting released that can help a playoff team. Even a Super Bowl assistant was released from his team today.
He got a bunch of guaranteed money when he signed his last contract prior to the 2021 season. He went out and had an all-pro season that year. He then had the back issues after that year. He most likely will never be as good as he once was, but perhaps he still can help an already good team.

_sturt_

Reaction score

I knew that was going to happen the minute another Eagles linebacker got hurt in last night's game. I don't know their roster so if there's any Eagles fan's out there feel free to correct me. Was Cunningham a starter? Or playing for their injured starter, the Georgia guy?

This will help. Recommend bookmarking it.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PHI

I've considered the depth chart at OurLads.com to be my go-to for years now... they're even archived so you can go back and compare/contrast previous depth charts.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It's all about the Benjamin's.
Going to be real interesting how this turns out. IND probably doesn't save much more than the vet minimum, if any, since they'll be on the hook for whatever difference there is b/t his new contract and his old. But will Leonard be coming here with visions similar to OBJ... wanting multiple years? Would like to think that he wants to bet on himself instead, and put himself in a position to reassert himself as a free agent in the off-season... that would suggest there's some confidence on his side that he's got plenty of fuel left in the tank. But I'm inclined to think he's going to be looking, at minimum, for a contract through next season... total speculation on my part.

Carson

Reaction score

Cunningham was a starter. He was their best LB. When he went down the run game struggled

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I’ve read that there were disagreements behind the scenes about his playing time. He was released soon after having a meeting about it.
I’m just worried about what the Colts argument was to keep him off the field.

Not trying to be pessimistic!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Except apparently he wanted to play every down and was making a lot of negative comments about his game time and role. Winning teams may not like the idea of getting a (potentially) quality player but also maybe acquiring a locker room disruption in the process.
He'll know his projected role coming in. He had a role already known in Indianapolis...he had carried that at an All Pro level with them. Big difference. He'll need to grow within the Dallas team. He already is skilled to do what is required. He'll have to integrate and project.

Status
Not open for further replies.