Leonard to visit Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambo2

Reaction score
Leonard wants playing time, does he get that more in Dallas or Philly? New contract could have incentives.
The contract is just for the rest of this year. His play will determine what his next contract will be. It's likely that he would rather go to Dallas.

erod

Reaction score
Didn't we just try a go-round with the nerve damage thing?

_sturt_

Reaction score
The contract is just for the rest of this year.
Not inclined to think we actually know that... in fact, would not surprise anyone, I don't suppose, that he would have something like OBJ's perspective about this time last year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Do we have a legitimate chance to get Shaq Leonard? This doesn't seem like the type of move we do in the middle of the season. But is it possible and if so, would this be a good fit? — Mark Jensen / Lawrence, Kansas

Patrik: There is always the possibility he chooses to go elsewhere, seeing as free agency is a two-way street and all, but the Cowboys clearly had a very real shot at landing Leonard. Better still is the fact that a meeting is taking place, i.e., he's so interested that he's taking a flight from Indianapolis (where he was seen on Sunday at a Colts game) to Dallas, and that means the interest is mutual. Additionally, from the team's perspective, it means they have enough optimism regarding his medical feedback that they're interested in hosting him this week. If this isn't at all promising for their chances, I don't know what would be. There are undoubtedly other teams after him as well, including in the same division as Dallas, so there's no guarantee he ends up a Cowboy. But, all told, including relationships with Stephon Gilmore and Brandin Cooks (plus the Gus Bradley, Dan Quinn friendship), and the fact the Cowboys are a contender as well, I could see this being a very real courtship ... with all of the fixings.

Nick Eatman: Well, the fact that there is a reported visit on the horizon means there is interest. On Thursday, Jerry Jones said the team has made contact with Leonard and they were doing their research. Now, there appears to be a visit this week, so apparently the Cowboys like what they've found out. That doesn't mean the money will work out because it appears as if Leonard is looking for a big contract, which is probably the reason it didn't work out in Indy. But this makes sense longer than this year if he is at least healthy enough to play. He might not be what he was a few years ago, but he was pretty dang good. With LVE's injury, I could see the Cowboys addressing linebacker early in the draft next year and/or free agency. So if you can get a jump on this with a signing like this, I'd be all for it.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-a-legit-chance-to-land-lb-shaq-leonard

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I've heard reports that Leonard is washed. He was getting blown back off the ball consistently this season and the Colts simply took him off the field on third down because he was so bad in coverage.

However, Leonard himself says that the problem is the way Indy changed how they used him. Without all the technical stuff, Leonard was basically being used to set up things for other defenders.

So why did the Colts cut him? Did they see a decline? Did they not want to pay him? Or were there issues with how he fit the scheme? Guess we'll find out one way or another,

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The contract is just for the rest of this year. His play will determine what his next contract will be. It's likely that he would rather go to Dallas.
If Dallas takes on the rest of his 2023 deal it's $6.1 million. Assuming he doesn't play Thursday that's a ton of money for a five game rental that probably won't even start.

rambo2

Reaction score
If Dallas takes on the rest of his 2023 deal it's $6.1 million. Assuming he doesn't play Thursday that's a ton of money for a five game rental that probably won't even start.
They can give him the minimum and the Colts pay the rest.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
They can give him the minimum and the Colts pay the rest.
Yes....but will Leonard want to play the same role here as he basically did in Indy? He's not starting over Clark or Bell. He'd be getting the handful of snaps per game we're giving Rashaan Evans.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yes....but will Leonard want to play the same role here as he basically did in Indy? He's not starting over Clark or Bell. He'd be getting the handful of snaps per game we're giving Rashaan Evans.
He is visiting tomorrow.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Why would any player rather go to Dallas? Philly clearly has a much higher chance at a ring, and they slap need LB depth badly. I’d list this as 90% Philly odds, I’d he’s still a player and is heathy.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Aside from Bell and Clark, the Cowboys only have Rashaan Evans playing the off-ball LB position at the moment.

On one hand, this could be seen as a bad thing, but on the other hand, it’s that glaringly obvious need at the LB position that’s Dallas’ biggest selling point.

The Cowboys need Leonard and that could work to their advantage. Players want to be where they’re needed. The Cowboys are extremely shallow at the position and can all but guarantee snaps to Leonard on Day 1.

The chances of Bell and Clark going injury-free from here on out is fairly slim. LB is a physical position, and at the very least, an extra LB could give them breathers in a regular rotation.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/27/cowboys-shaq-leonard-free-agency-reasons-to-sign/

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys’ thinnest position on their roster is arguably their LB corps so a former All-Pro like Leonard just makes sense.

Playing primarily out of a nickel defense that utilizes extra safeties and rarely asks more than two off-ball LBs to take the field together, the Cowboys have their starters in place. Damone Clark, an ascending second-year LB out LSU, and Markquese Bell, a converted SAF, have been doing admirably at LB for Dallas.

The two players understand Dan Quinn’s system and are proving to be true three-down players for the Cowboys. But behind them the well looks dry.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/27/cowboys-shaq-leonard-free-agency-reasons-to-sign/

rambo2

Reaction score
Why would any player rather go to Dallas? Philly clearly has a much higher chance at a ring, and they slap need LB depth badly. I’d list this as 90% Philly odds, I’d he’s still a player and is heathy.
Most players would pick Dallas over Philly.

mote

Reaction score
Most players would pick Dallas over Philly.
Why would a player pick a team that has been inept for 28 years over a successfully run franchise with a decent owner and front office, with multiple playoff victories and Super Bowl appearances over the past two decades?

rambo2

Reaction score
Why would a player pick a team that has been inept for 28 years over a successfully run franchise with a decent owner and front office, with multiple playoff victories and Super Bowl appearances over the past two decades?
Lol, this place is for Cowboy fans. You are totally ignorant. Your successful Eagle team has all of 1 Super Bowl win in 58 years in crap land.

Status
Not open for further replies.