Leonard to visit Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
IMO, it’s about playing time and the next deal.

In Dallas he is behind Clark, Bell and we also have Evans. No clear cut time to a ton of snaps.

In Philly, if Cunningham misses time he walks in as the weak side starting LB. Path to clear snaps.
I don’t think any linebacker on this team is stopping him from getting reps though….maybe Bell but I would think they’d want to move him back to safety if they could.

_sturt_

Reaction score
IMO, it’s about playing time and the next deal.

In Dallas he is behind Clark, Bell and we also have Evans.

In Philly, if Cunningham misses time he walks in as the weak side starting LB.
1. Reading Sirianni's presser comments yesterday, he seemed to insist that (a) he had not yet learned about Cunningham's MRI (which took place Monday morning, and this is Monday afternoon... so what are the chances of that being true) (b) that Cunningham might be back as soon as Sunday after all, and (c) that he feels confident they have internal options for dealing with it even if Cunningham isn't available.

In other words, "I don't want the Niners nor Leonard to have any good grasp of where things stand, so leave me alone."

2. They obviously love what Bell is giving them, and should, but other teams obviously also have decided that they can run at him and have some success. Working theory is that Bell's playing time at LB would decrease, with Leonard getting most of those snaps, however Bell would get back to being a major part of the S rotation when he's not otherwise subbing in as a passing down LB.

3. Leonard could also take some snaps from Clark, and especially if it turns out they're persuaded he's progressing back to produce as he did pre-surgery.

4. Evans appears to be the odd-man out... and perhaps even off the roster. While there's a solid argument that we're heavy on DBs (Wright, Igbinoghene and Scott are all considerations), there's an opposing argument that DQ apparently is persuaded that that's the smart approach.

Aven8

Reaction score
Playing time, they were moving to the future and he was vocal about losing snaps.
Well I assume he’s better than Evans coming off the couch, and he hasn’t looked that bad in limited snaps so that works.

CCBoy

Reaction score
8:28 a.m. – As expected, linebacker Shaquille Leonard is meeting with the Cowboys at The Star in Frisco Tuesday morning.

Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones said on 105.3 'The Fan' on Tuesday that Leonard was visiting with the coaches and staff "right now as we speak." Jones said he plans to have lunch with Leonard later in the day.

The former Colts linebacker, who was recently waived, is drawing interest from several teams, but the Cowboys are the first team he's visited with.

"It's not real hard to see what kind of player he's been. He's been outstanding," Jones said. "When you've played as long as he's played, at the level he's played, this isn't a hard scouting job at all. The question is, where he is in his career and where he is health-wise. That's what it's all about as far as evaluating everything.

The next thing is, how do you get something worked out, if in fact, all that other fits."

Drafted in 2018 by the Colts, Leonard was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, and he's made three Pro Bowls and three first-team All-Pro selections.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-november-2023

Doomsay

Reaction score
Than why sign him?
Why would a player pick a team that has been inept for 28 years over a successfully run franchise with a decent owner and front office, with multiple playoff victories and Super Bowl appearances over the past two decades?
Ugh, unbalanced iggl trolls lashing out after a Super Bowl flop.

jujoboys

Reaction score
8:28 a.m. – As expected, linebacker Shaquille Leonard is meeting with the Cowboys at The Star in Frisco Tuesday morning.

Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones said on 105.3 'The Fan' on Tuesday that Leonard was visiting with the coaches and staff "right now as we speak." Jones said he plans to have lunch with Leonard later in the day.

The former Colts linebacker, who was recently waived, is drawing interest from several teams, but the Cowboys are the first team he's visited with.

"It's not real hard to see what kind of player he's been. He's been outstanding," Jones said. "When you've played as long as he's played, at the level he's played, this isn't a hard scouting job at all. The question is, where he is in his career and where he is health-wise. That's what it's all about as far as evaluating everything.

The next thing is, how do you get something worked out, if in fact, all that other fits."

Drafted in 2018 by the Colts, Leonard was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, and he's made three Pro Bowls and three first-team All-Pro selections.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-november-2023
Could someone please find out where Jerry is having lunch with him and get the table next to them? Preferably close enough to the conversation where you can hear what Jerry is saying even if you may not understand the gibberish coming from his mouth. Also, if Stephen is with them then find some way to distract Stephen before he starts counting and calculating his precious CAP dollars and tells Leonard to take a hike.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Questioning why Indy would let him go as if that is justification for not signing him pretty much means that you value Indy’s evaluations over Will McClay’s if the cowboys do sign him. Not smart.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Something to do with a back injury. With the medical team Jerry has on staff - if signed, it will be projecting and contract renegotiated. At this point in the season, aggressive matters.
What do you mean the contract renegotiated they can pick him up for veteran minimum like $450,000 they don't have to assume any of his old contract at all I've already read up on that if you're talking about extending the guy before you see him even play a snap no I don't think so but once he cleared waivers you can pick him up for the veteran minimum the Colts are on the hook for the rest,.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Questioning why Indy would let him go as if that is justification for not signing him pretty much means that you value Indy’s evaluations over Will McClay’s if the cowboys do sign him. Not smart.
That's because he may not be worth $6.5 million that's why you get cut,,, happens all the time are you trying to tell me that DeAndre Hopkins and dalvin cook weren't worth a draft pick or a signing they also got cut was it cause they couldn't play it was because of their contract you're forgetting about the business side of this

however if you could pick the guy up for the veteran minimum 450,000 I believe for him the Colts are on the hook for the rest of that contract he'd be more than worth a look and I'm outside why you think that the Colts have a better medical staff then the Cowboys you might wanna check again
we're talking about depth not acting like you're gonna be leaning on this guy if you can bring in a guy like this in limited snaps and him make some kind of impact for 450,000 with his instincts and some of the things that he can help our guys with like Clark I'd say he'd be worth a try if he can pass a physical and if he ....ts to play then you can sign this guy

hell three different teams picked up jalen Smith since he was caught here you know why same reason he put up a lot of numbers he may not be great but for the veteran minimum he was worth a look for the money we were paying him he could be looked at as a waste of money

big difference

blueblood70

Reaction score
1. Reading Sirianni's presser comments yesterday, he seemed to insist that (a) he had not yet learned about Cunningham's MRI (which took place Monday morning, and this is Monday afternoon... so what are the chances of that being true) (b) that Cunningham might be back as soon as Sunday after all, and (c) that he feels confident they have internal options for dealing with it even if Cunningham isn't available.

In other words, "I don't want the Niners nor Leonard to have any good grasp of where things stand, so leave me alone."

2. They obviously love what Bell is giving them, and should, but other teams obviously also have decided that they can run at him and have some success. Working theory is that Bell's playing time at LB would decrease, with Leonard getting most of those snaps, however Bell would get back to being a major part of the S rotation when he's not otherwise subbing in as a passing down LB.

3. Leonard could also take some snaps from Clark, and especially if it turns out they're persuaded he's progressing back to produce as he did pre-surgery.

4. Evans appears to be the odd-man out... and perhaps even off the roster. While there's a solid argument that we're heavy on DBs (Wright, Igbinoghene and Scott are all considerations), there's an opposing argument that DQ apparently is persuaded that that's the smart approach.
I don't believe Evans would be the odd man out there's no way you make that determination right at the signing maybe three weeks from now in an emergency roster spot but you can't put Evans back on the practice squad you signed him permanently for the rest of the year... We need the depth at that area so somebody else who's way way low hanging fruit can cost them their job I doubt it's gonna be one of the linebackers because of the health issues of all of them even bell's been banged up curse has been banged up and now you have guys like Clark that you can't really count on 100% and this guy Leonard can you really trust him the rest of the year I'd say no so keep them all they won't be on the same active game day roster but you should keep them on your roster I'm sure there's some other player that we absolutely don't need that we can get on the practice squad or cut off this team...

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
I am worried that he wants to be an eagle… He has a relationship with their coach… And this was just a trip to see if Dallas will blow his doors off… I’m betting he winds up an eagle tomorrow… hope I’m wrong.

Carson

Reaction score
I am worried that he wants to be an eagle… He has a relationship with their coach… And this was just a trip to see if Dallas will blow his doors off… I’m betting he winds up an eagle tomorrow… hope I’m wrong.
This is my opinion as well.

The reality is Philly is 10-1 and will likely get a bye. If he is ring chasing, they seem the better bet at this moment in time.

_sturt_

Reaction score
He has a relationship with their coach
Doubt it's actually that much of a factor. Sirianni was OC... had little reason for much contact with Leonard. And besides, who doesn't want to play for Dan Quinn anyway?

Satisfied that the prospect of playing with Gilmore again is a more significant thing than playing for Colts while Sirianni was a coach.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Doubt it's actually that much of a factor. Sirianni was OC... had little reason for much contact with Leonard. And besides, who doesn't want to play for Dan Quinn anyway?

Satisfied that the prospect of playing with Gilmore again is a more significant thing than playing for Colts while Sirianni was a coach.
He’s chasing a ring… If you believe what he said… He could easily think Philly gives him a better chance… it won’t crush me either way, as there’s a reason that he was cut.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Depth at best. This team relies on Bell/Clark/Evans in that order. If one of them goes down then we have issues. So I'm certainly not against the signing, but I also don't think it's life or death like some people.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Isn't it Gilmore and I believe MHooker that know him ?I know there's at least two dudes on this defense that could be recruiting him that could make the difference if we want them that bad that's why he's coming here first...

Proof

Reaction score
Nicely done. Why, again, would a player pick today's Cowboys? Not JJ's Cowboys, or Landry's Cowboys, the Cowboys of today? A 28 year old player, Leonard, wasn't even alive the last time the Boys won the Super Bowl. Spare me the past glory bit. The Cowboys haven't been relevant in almost 3 DECADES.
we can argue recent success. we can't argue relevancy whatsoever. dallas is *always* relevant. and they're a contender w/ a need and former teammates and a players coach of a DC. plus philadelphia ... sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.