Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3306206 said:

Actually, I didn't claim anything. I asked a question.

The article states, "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The West Virginia ACLU applauded the judge’s ruling." Applauding a ruling after the fact is quite a bit different from actually offering help while the case has yet to be resolved.[/FONT][/FONT]

Bragg enlisted the help of the American Civil Liberties Union of West Virginia, which filed a federal lawsuit on his behalf in April 2005. On May 31, U.S. District Judge John T. Copenhaver Jr. ruled in a memorandum opinion and order in Bragg v. Swanson that Principal Joyce Vessey Swanson had violated Bragg’s First Amendment rights[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica].[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Maybe you're referring to the first article, but the second one says they ACLU filed a lawsuit on his behalf.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3306213 said:
I can tell the star trek girl got you all flustered.;)

Nah. Vina was hotter.

320x240.jpg

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
TheCount;3306200 said:
You may be confusing a "historically black school", with some kind of actual rule that prohibits other races from applying and being accepted to the school.

A white person can, and has, been accepted to historically black schools just like black people can, and have been accepted to historically white schools.

What you have to deal with when you get there, in either case, is/was probably not all that different.

But again, race has nothing to do with this particular story. Not ever civil case has to become a racial discussion.

yeah wasn't there a movie about a white guy who was QB at Grambling back? Might have been John Ritter who played him but not sure.,

I remember a black lineman on the other team yelling at him "hey white boy, click (throat slash).

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3306193 said:
I don't have a problem with all girls schools...there are all boys schools too.

I understand the rationale behind them...although I would never send my kid to one...but to each their own.

Now the all black thing I can see why people would have a problem with that.

Do we have all white schools?

If we do then there should be no problem...if not then there should be a problem.

Now this girl was in neither situation...if it's all black or all girls...you know what you're getting.

This girl is NOT going to a "all heterosexual school".

Hence the difference.

She should have been allowed to take her girlfriend with her...I can see their point about the dress code, but to cancel a whole prom because of it?

No.

Except that public schools typically reflect the values of the local community, from textbook selections to course materials. Grambling and Bryn Mawr have certain standards/values, and so does this small town. All of them rationalize their prejudices.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;3306102 said:
She didn't go to the ACLU to get the prom canceled, she went to the ACLU to have her school reminded of her civil rights. Her goal was to go, having it canceled by the school was done out of spite. You're reacting to it the same way they want the kids to, blame her.

Being gay and outside of your home is not a crime. If the building wasn't wheel chair accessible and a disabled person wanted to go, should the school have shut down the prom rather than provide a way for that person to access the building? Should the wheel-chair person have been forced to stay home and not bring it up for fear of the school retaliating like a bunch of brats?

There could easily have been a compromise: You can come with your date but no tux, we have a dress code. If you come in a tux this year then next year 12 guys show up in dresses just cause they can. This is a formal event.

Bingo, she gets what she wants and the school gets to maintain a level of decency for future events in terms of dress and the formality of the event.

Instead she probably pressed the tux and the school (being clearly homophobic) said fine, now no one is going (and stamped their feet like little kids in the process), see what you did! It's very juvenile.
Oh give me a huge break from more PC crap. I don't agree with the school district stopping the prom, but I understand why they did. Now no one can claim discrimination.

That's really the goal of the ACLU and Ms. McPherson in this case right? That everyone get treated equally? Hey mission accomplished so don't tell me that isn't what they wanted. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

What they wanted was for her to be given special consideration because she has a special circumstance. Uh, no. That isn't what civil liberties are for.

I would never push something like this. She did, and I don't respect it because it hurt other people who are completely innocent.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3306233 said:
yeah wasn't there a movie about a white guy who was QB at Grambling back? Might have been John Ritter who played him but not sure.,

I remember a black lineman on the other team yelling at him "hey white boy, click (throat slash).
Bruce Jenner in Grambling's White Tiger.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
TheCount;3306225 said:
Maybe you're referring to the first article, but the second one says they ACLU filed a lawsuit on his behalf.

The second article is a different case.

Either way, all schools have dress codes. It's baffling that people are so opposed to following attire guidelines for a few hours everyday.

It's no different in the workplace.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Hostile;3306053 said:
She has a civil right not to go. Why is it civil rights only belong to certain groups? Don't kids who don't want to see 2 lesbians have any? That is why she gets no sympathy from me and the other kids do.

If she wants to be a lesbian, be a lesbian and have a happy life. Cool. I don't get it, but whatever. Don't push your lifestyle onto everyone else and think you are not violating their civil rights. She was selfish and other kids are paying for it. She is wrong. I don't think the school board is right, but she is wrong whether they are or not.

Being gay is not a "lifestyle" anymore than being black is a lifestyle. Lifestyle implies choice and it is clear no one would choose to be gay given the discrimination our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters face day in and day out.

I also doubt there are many people who do not want to see lesbians. Granted she is probably pretty ugly and not your typical Friday night blue movie hot lesbian but not many guys turn away from some good lesbian action.

Hell a song went to the top of the charts ou presque about kissing a girl.

I kissed a girl and I liked it
the taste of her cherry chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
hope my boyfriend don't mind it,,,,

I am sure you know the tune

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3306241 said:
The second article is a different case.

Either way, all schools have dress codes. It's baffling that people are so opposed to following attire guidelines for a few hours everyday.

It's no different in the workplace.

so if your tot's school (assuming you have a tot) had a code that boys wore dresses and girls wore pants, would you not be opposed given it is only a few hours a day?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3306247 said:
so if your tot's school (assuming you have a tot) had a code that boys wore dresses and girls wore pants, would you not be opposed given it is only a few hours a day?

We'd find him a good Scottish kilt.

ethiostar

Reaction score
TheCount;3306200 said:
You may be confusing a "historically black school", with some kind of actual rule that prohibits other races from applying and being accepted to the school.

A white person can, and has, been accepted to historically black schools just like black people can, and have been accepted to historically white schools.

What you have to deal with when you get there, in either case, is/was probably not all that different.

But again, race has nothing to do with this particular story. Not ever civil case has to become a racial discussion.

Here is a good read on that topic and gives some stats on it as well.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4874870&page=1

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3306244 said:
Being gay is not a "lifestyle" anymore than being black is a lifestyle. Lifestyle implies choice and it is clear no one would choose to be gay given the discrimination our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters face day in and day out.

What about people who are bisexual?

Serious question here. No hidden meaning.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Hostile;3306236 said:
I would never push something like this. She did, and I don't respect it because it hurt other people who are completely innocent.

Innocents were hurt because the Prom was cancelled. The school district cancelled the Prom, not the girl.

ethiostar

Reaction score
I don't know if it wasn't clear from the article i posted but the school's MAIN objection was that she was planning on attending the prom with her female partner. Sure they also have a code stating that only boys can wear tuxedos but i don't think it would have mattered even if she had agreed to wear a dress instead. As long as her date was a female it wasn't going to be allowed, period.

At the center of the lawsuit is a memorandum from the school to students, dated February 5, which states that prom dates must be of the opposite sex.

Also, when McMillen expressed a desire to wear a tuxedo to the prom, the superintendent told her only male students were allowed to wear tuxes, according to court documents.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/11/mississippi.prom.suit/index.html

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
She got what she wanted........attention and to make everyone else's life as miserable as hers.

Maybe instead of calling the ACLU, she should have called a competent therapist. Anyone that fat that young obviously has some issues. She's using a quart of ice cream to deal with something........

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
TheCount;3306200 said:

Well if there is no rule that whites can't get in and they have and then they were treated the same as the blacks by the administration...then there should be no problem.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
bbgun;3306235 said:
Except that public schools typically reflect the values of the local community, from textbook selections to course materials. Grambling and Bryn Mawr have certain standards/values, and so does this small town. All of them rationalize their prejudices.

Yeah and in this case it would be homophobia.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3306244 said:

I also doubt there are many people who do not want to see lesbians. Granted she is probably pretty ugly and not your typical Friday night blue movie hot lesbian but not many guys turn away from some good lesbian action.

Hell a song went to the top of the charts ou presque about kissing a girl.

I kissed a girl and I liked it
the taste of her cherry chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
hope my boyfriend don't mind it,,,,

I am sure you know the tune
I disagree. Every Black friend I have ever had is offended when they get compared to gays.

No, I don't know the tune and I really don't care.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3306257 said:
Innocents were hurt because the Prom was cancelled. The school district cancelled the Prom, not the girl.
Because of her actions. No one can deny that, no matter how hard they spin it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;3306263 said:
She got what she wanted........attention and to make everyone else's life as miserable as hers.

Maybe instead of calling the ACLU, she should have called a competent therapist. Anyone that fat that young obviously has some issues. She's using a quart of ice cream to deal with something........

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
Were you the one that flipped her to the gay side?

Hostile;3306236 said:
Oh give me a huge break from more PC crap. I don't agree with the school district stopping the prom, but I understand why they did. Now no one can claim discrimination.

That's really the goal of the ACLU and Ms. McPherson in this case right? That everyone get treated equally? Hey mission accomplished so don't tell me that isn't what they wanted. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

What they wanted was for her to be given special consideration because she has a special circumstance. Uh, no. That isn't what civil liberties are for.

More power to ya man, can't help but disagree. Not a huge deal.

ConcordCowboy;3306274 said:
Well if there is no rule that whites can't get in and they have and then they were treated the same as the blacks by the administration...then there should be no problem.

Like I said, a black student at a historically white school probably deals with the same things that a white student at a historically black school would. And it's not necessarily all bad, either.