Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3306352 said:
Really, because CNN just did a poll where almost 70% of those asked favor allowing gays to openly serve in the military and, for the first time ever, more people polled do not feel that homosexual relationships are a moral issue than those who do (50% to 48%). DC just legalized gay marriages. Times are changing.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/02/22/rel4n.pdf

Regardless of that, people in general tend to get annoyed when someone's rights are being infringed upon.
CNN should do a poll asking those in the military. Then I would pay attention to it.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Hostile;3306338 said:
Ah, so now you agree with me that she is the one pushing the issue.

Thank you. Was that really so hard?

I don't agree with you at all. They pushed their morals on her by telling her she couldn't do what she knew what was within her legal rights to do. She pushed back because she knew what they were trying to do would not fly if it was brought to a higher power. They are the ones pushing their agenda, all she wanted to do was go to the Prom.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3306354 said:
I don't agree with you at all. They pushed their morals on her by telling her she couldn't do what she knew what was within her legal rights to do. She pushed back because she knew what they were trying to do would not fly if it was brought to a higher power. They are the ones pushing their agenda, all she wanted to do was go to the Prom.
A dress code is pushing morals?

Oh now I have heard it all.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Hostile;3306353 said:
CNN should do a poll asking those in the military. Then I would pay attention to it.

Yup ....

Asking a poll in New York and San Fransisco is not getting the true story.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
Hostile;3306355 said:
A dress code is pushing morals?

Oh now I have heard it all.

They dress code isn't why they cancelled the Prom. Ethio already pointed this out:

ethiostar;3306262 said:
I don't know if it wasn't clear from the article i posted but the school's MAIN objection was that she was planning on attending the prom with her female partner. Sure they also have a code stating that only boys can wear tuxedos but i don't think it would have mattered even if she had agreed to wear a dress instead. As long as her date was a female it wasn't going to be allowed, period.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/11/mississippi.prom.suit/index.html

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3306352 said:
Really, because CNN just did a poll where almost 70% of those asked favor allowing gays to openly serve in the military and, for the first time ever, more people polled do not feel that homosexual relationships are a moral issue than those who do (50% to 48%). DC just legalized gay marriages. Times are changing.

Regardless of that, people in general tend to get annoyed when someone's rights are being infringed upon.

Interesting poll, but election results would suggest otherwise. The majority of Gay marriage initiatives have failed at the voting booth, and California passed Proposition 8 as recently as 2008.

For the record, I'm perfectly willing to allow gays to serve openly in the military.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3306360 said:
They dress code isn't why they cancelled the Prom. Ethio already pointed this out:
Then don't go. In the other thread about the nude body that was decapitated CowboyMike said no one has to buy Hustler magazine. She doesn't have to go to the Prom. There is no constitutional right to go to the Prom.

Proms have a dress code. Obey it or don't go. If I can't wear my cowboy hat I either don't wear it or I don't go. My right of "free expression" isn't being challenged. That was a load of crap.

She wants to make the Prom a spectacle. Why else would she want to wear a tux? The school board said no.

Proms have standards. What exactly is new here? Should we next allow a student to go nude so he has "free expression?"

Like I said, this is PC crap, not homophobia as someone else said. She got her wish. People know who she is and there is no discrimination. It's too damned bad the spectacle she wanted to cause won't work. Too bad, so sad.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Hostile;3306353 said:

Truman, however, didn't take a poll of the military.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Joe Rod;3306352 said:

Picking one poll that's considered an outlier with questionable at best methodology that barely covers your point isn't the strongest argument.

And what about the rights of the student who wants to bring a farm animal, or the one who wants to bring the child molestor? Are you getting annoyed when their "rights" are infringed upon.

You can't even make a cogent argument about consenting adults as these high school students are clearly not adults.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
This case provides a strong argument for school choice, in my opinion. If her parents had been able to choose which school to send their daughter, they might've found one more accommodating to her lifestyle.

Just a thought...

arglebargle

Reaction score
I think the tux is a red herring. Actually don't have a tremendous issue with the school's dress code thing, even though I don't care for them much.

It's not like putting a suit on the guy working the pawnshop suddenly makes it legit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You think it would be an issue if a guy brought a guy to the prom and his date was wearing an evening gown? :laugh2:

arglebargle

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;3306375 said:
Picking one poll that's considered an outlier with questionable at best methodology that barely covers your point isn't the strongest argument.

And what about the rights of the student who wants to bring a farm animal, or the one who wants to bring the child molestor? Are you getting annoyed when their "rights" are infringed upon.

You can't even make a cogent argument about consenting adults as these high school students are clearly not adults.

Actually, by Prom time, many of these students are probably 18, right?

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
Hostile;3306370 said:
Then don't go. In the other thread about the nude body that was decapitated CowboyMike said no one has to buy Hustler magazine. She doesn't have to go to the Prom. There is no constitutional right to go to the Prom.

Proms have a dress code. Obey it or don't go. If I can't wear my cowboy hat I either don't wear it or I don't go. My right of "free expression" isn't being challenged. That was a load of crap.

She wants to make the Prom a spectacle. Why else would she want to wear a tux? The school board said no.

Proms have standards. What exactly is new here? Should we next allow a student to go nude so he has "free expression?"

Like I said, this is PC crap, not homophobia as someone else said. She got her wish. People know who she is and there is no discrimination. It's too damned bad the spectacle she wanted to cause won't work. Too bad, so sad.

Are you just flat out ignoring that the dress code is not the reason why they cancelled the Prom? If she really wanted a spectacle, then the school only helped her platform. Now she is getting national publicity. Good job school district.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;3306353 said:

The military times did a poll back in 08...think it was 08 and the results were just over half of those were against repealing DADT. A few years earlier a Stars and Stripes poll had similar numbers.

By the way...those polls were taken from active duty military men so it is not far off the mark as just a little over half did not want it repealed.

Not going to get into any real arguments in this thread over this whole thing because frankly too many people are too set in their ways to ever take much into account and change their opinions.

Just wanted to put the above out there since you said you wanted a poll asking those in the military poll and to see if you would actually pay attention to it or just say you would...i'm a stinker like that.;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3306385 said:
Are you just flat out ignoring that the dress code is not the reason why they cancelled the Prom? If she really wanted a spectacle, then the school only helped her platform. Now she is getting national publicity. Good job school district.
Hell no. They canceled it so she has no claims of discrimination.

She rocks.